Shall We All Just Close Our Spread Bet Accounts??

They don't bother to hedge that often as most traders lose.

That, I suppose, is part of their business and could make them interested parties instead of disinterested ones, as far as we are concerned. but it does not make them, necessarily, dishonest.

That, I suppose, is part of their business and could make them interested parties instead of disinterested ones, as far as we are concerned. but it does not make them, necessarily, dishonest.

It shouldn't matter to us how, or if, SBs hedge and make profits, as long as they don't tilt the playing field too far by rejecting trades that immediately go against them, adding designer slippage, or deliberately having platforms that seize up at busy times.

It shouldn't matter to us how, or if, SBs hedge and make profits, as long as they don't tilt the playing field too far by rejecting trades that immediately go against them, adding designer slippage, or deliberately having platforms that seize up at busy times.

I think that we have to play it by ear. It is, essentially, a partnership of trust and I am sure that, in their business, they have their share of those trying to take them for fools, too.

Yes, "the proof is in the pudding" as they say.

Spread betting companies are out to make a profit. To achieve this their customers on average must be wrong more times than they are right. Bearing in mind that the SBs make their own market (loosely based on an underlying instrument) , do you really believe they wouldn't play 'games' with that market to the detriment of the customer? Have you ever compared an instruments chart live with that of it's SB counterpart? It makes very interesting viewing :idea:

Libertas, I agree with you, but havnt as yet seen the evidence with my own eyes. May i ask what tools you used to view the sb chart against a live real market chart at the same time. Im sure it does make interesting viewing and would love to see it for myself.

Libertas, I agree with you, but havnt as yet seen the evidence with my own eyes. May i ask what tools you used to view the sb chart against a live real market chart at the same time. Im sure it does make interesting viewing and would love to see it for myself.
He must be a very rich guy then, arbitrage the difference and collect when the SB price feed goes back to normal.:)
I have been comparing SB price feed for years against the real market (futures), not much difference in my opinion.

Last edited:
It was interesting on Friday for instance, where Fins chart price was 2 points difference to their own mid ask/bid price for some time. I was watching anxiously !

It was interesting on Friday for instance, where Fins chart price was 2 points difference to their own mid ask/bid price for some time. I was watching anxiously !

FIns charts and quotes are never the same. I don't think it's possible, anyway, on their 1pt US30.

FIns charts and quotes are never the same. I don't think it's possible, anyway, on their 1pt US30.
Yes I agree, I have never understood in the first place why traders use SB internal charts.

Yes I agree, I have never understood in the first place why traders use SB internal charts.

Like Pat says they are free and they are the market they are trading! The SB price might be based on the futures price but it is not the futures they are trading. SB companies make their own market!

Like Pat says they are free and they are the market they are trading! The SB price might be based on the futures price but it is not the futures they are trading. SB companies make their own market!

Yebbut SB charts are 'indicative' and very little use if you try to use them as evidence.

Yebbut SB charts are 'indicative' and very little use if you try to use them as evidence.

Exactly! But you have no other option because these are the only charts of the 'market' you are trading. This is part of the reason why trading with an SB is a handicap.

Was a while ago I did it but I believe I used my DMA account and Capital Spreads' charts of the Dow Futures. You used to be able to get free real-time data from the CBOT website of the E-Mini Dow but I think this is no longer the case now they've merged with the CME.

He must be a very rich guy then, arbitrage the difference and collect when the SB price feed goes back to normal.:)
I have been comparing SB price feed for years against the real market (futures), not much difference in my opinion.

Do you really believe a SB company would let their customers get away with arbitraging? It would only take a few minutes to a few seconds to 'hang' your trade with them to erase the possibility.

Do you really believe a SB company would let their customers get away with arbitraging? It would only take a few minutes to a few seconds to 'hang' your trade with them to erase the possibility.
So you have tried and got caught? Yes you are right they are on the outlook for arbitrators, but not if the difference between the prices are very small and you stake is not that big. To say that the price quoted in generally differ quite a lot from that of the underlying asset is not correct. This can happen if there is a technical glitch (like for instance the flash Crash or insane volatility). Otherwise the SB price quote reflect the movement underlying asset astoundingly accurate.