My proposals for improved T2W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with a lot of this, especially 5.

What about those of us who like to read, absorb, filter out the cr@p ourselves and just quietly learn and enjoy the goings-ons of T2W ? I have learnt a huge amount from T2W (ok much less in recent months than say, a year ago when the quailty of posting was much higher) but I don't feel the need to add fuel to the fire of endless threads that get de-railed by moronic bickering and pain in the a*se trolls.

That is the reason this site is going down the pan. It takes hours to trawl through endless threads to find anything decent these days. And as for somebody's reasoning that the site is getting worse because there is a lack of successful traders on here - I didn't realise you had to be a successful trader to contribute intelligently and thoughtfully .....

I think you'll find there are loads of members like myself who contribute only very occasionally because there are very few posts that are actually worth contributing to.

It takes hours to trawl through endless threads to find anything decent these days. And as for somebody's reasoning that the site is getting worse because there is a lack of successful traders on here - I didn't realise you had to be a successful trader to contribute intelligently and thoughtfully .....

Agree absolutely but there is a danger of the blind leading the blind*; then when others see what is posted they really cannot be bothered with the arguments. So many strategies posted here are clearly flawed in the long term but if one tries to point this out gently one gets shat on from a million places. It is particularly distressing when so many technical theories are given as a reason for why one market or another moved how it did when one knows the real reason. Actually the emphasis on TA is quite irritating too.

My favourite example of this is when poor ole gamma has to deal with all these 'hedging' threads.

I have to hold my hands up and admit I am responsible for a good deal of the crap here, but much worse things happen on a trading desk...

*Again the blind leading the blind is not necessarily a bad thing; indeed it could produce good results I believe... but it needs to be represented as that.

It is particularly distressing when so many technical theories are given as a reason for why one market or another moved how it did when one knows the real reason. Actually the emphasis on TA is quite irritating too.

How does one come to know the real reason?

So many strategies posted here are clearly flawed in the long term but if one tries to point this out gently one gets shat on from a million places.

Arabian, I agree with this entirely - but wouldn't it be better for people to discuss what might ultimately be a flawed trading strategy (and let people make a decision themselves on its worth) rather than opening the 1000th thread on "I think T2W is sh1t because ..."

The occasional bit of banter is great and keeps this site entertaining - which is why I have respect for the likes of you and Aaron because amongst the dross, you do actually come up with some great posts and pertinent questions/ replies.

It's the retards that genics was just talking about that plague this site. It was suggested ages ago by somebody - have the "anti-reputation" button. So after a number of "bad rep" votes from different members , it's an automatic ban.

That's the only way to get this site back on track and make people feel like they've got some power in ridding the site of these total f**kwits who spoil it for everybody else.

IMHO

How does one come to know the real reason?

Well, if one is lucky one is in the know and trades on it and then spreads the knowledge around... if one is unlucky one takes the other side of the trade and then hears about the knowledge.

The best way is talking to as many people as possible... it's as simple as that. Squawk services, news services, things like brokertalk all help of course :)

Actually the emphasis on TA is quite irritating too.

To be fair, from a retail perspective I think that a thorough understanding of TA is the best weapon in the arsenal and it seems to me that using that weapon, turning trading into a numbers game and giving yourself a statistical edge through set-ups and fixed stops is how the bulk of the profitable retail crowd operate on here. I mean without being on the inside you're just not privy to certain information. Plus focus is an issue when you're in a room alone trying to learn - when you know you could be reading something that is bullsh1t and/or useless

But the reality is most TA is absolute rubbish. It is not possible to gain a thorough understanding of rubbish.

I've explained this so many times, but all one needs to do is decide whether a market is likely mean reverting or trending. If the former average it, use tight targets and large stops... if the latter use tight stops and large targets (and as retail transaction costs are so high I would only recommend trending markets anyway).

Sure one could use indicators and such to attempt to determine if a market is trending; instead I would advocate common sense and logic.

For example, a market I have no expertise in at all: EURGBP. Both common sense and logic suggest that currencies trend and that the trend for euros is generally bullish while that for pounds is generally bearish, simply on a fundamental basis. So buy dips. This may not work out, it is not a trading recommendation, but it is clear common sense. There is no TA required at all.

Yup. Now again I am not saying that they are useless; in fact the most important piece of information for me would be (on the assumption it is a trending market) how EURGBP reacts to bullish or bearish news... again I don't follow it at all but it would appear from memory (and feel free to correct me) that it reacts much more strongly and more easily to bullish news which again suggests it is a bull market.

That's all you need to know. Just buy it when it's gone down a lot and you'll probably do ok :)

[I've picked this example as I have a good sum of cash in both EUR and CHF and so do have to decide when i want to hedge... I don't follow the market at all properly but I follow it enough to be reasonably confident no hedging is needed yet even after sterling rally]

LOL

that depends on the drawdown your account can swallow and how long you can afford to have your capital tied up for when there are other opps.

I think that the main think I'm having trouble with is trying to stick with a certain set-up for trade entry. I cant hack it

The first thing then in my view that you need to examine is if there are any setups you can afford to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.