List of worst religions in the world

I can't believe this debate continues amongst gamblers. Frankly I am surprised

In the old days one could buy from the Catholic church a pardon for any of one's sins. The bigger the sin the higher the cost. Not sure if that is still standard practice. What a great racket, as Al Capone would have said. Can't remember seeing a thin clergyman.They are experts at fleecing the gullible.

In 1870 the Catholics came up with the doctrine that the Pope was infallible. I can't recall they have since been sensible enough to rescind such nonsense !! Obviously noone is infallible.

Catholics have been told not to use contraception for centuries. What are they trying to do over-populate the world ? Last week the Pope declared condoms can be used but only to prevent the spread of AIDs, not to stop even more little Catholics - I mean get REAL

The churches regularly shoot themselves in the foot with unrealistic nonsense. Any good work is blighted by rubbishy anouncements

You're right, but as far as I'm concerned those were secular religions.

This is only possible in a world of total surrealism where anything can be a secular version of anything else and that would then mean that atheism could also be a secular form of religion. Nazism and Communism were as anti religion as is possible and in my view it cannot be claim that they are in any way religious.

Paul

My criticism of the interpretation of modern Christianity is that it covers even the worst sinners with foregiveness

This only applies under certain circumstances and is not the case unless there is genuine repentance. It is total nonsense that anyone can buy forgiveness and it is not true Christian doctrine.

After all, if there is, why doesn't the lazy sod come and talk to us.

To do that we would need the points of reference to be able to understand what is being communicated which, in my view, none of humanity has. An analogy would be like if someone was transmitting communications by radio waves to Earth 200 years ago then no one would know they were getting them or that any message was being received. It would only be possible after radio receivers were invented.

In 1870 the Catholics came up with the doctrine that the Pope was infallible

This is not the case on general issues and only applied to certain aspects of Christian doctrine of which there have only been 3 cases if I remember correctly. It does not apply to a whole host of other areas such as contraception etc

Paul

I am surprised Paul that you try to defend the indefensible. A good try anyway.

OK how do you defend another couple of points
1. The resurection of a dead person ?
2. The virgin birth of a God ?

These are the 2 vital pieces of the Catholic faith. Surely it's time to bow to the obvious and er drop these 2 at least ?

I don't have to defend anything, I was pointing out errors in what was written with partial knowledge as is the case with so many people who make statements without getting their facts right.

I have a reasonable knowledge of most faiths and belief systems and was just giving alternative possibilities to the view that God cannot exist because if he did then he would do this or wouldn't do that etc.

Paul

In the old days one could buy from the Catholic church a pardon for any of one's sins. The bigger the sin the higher the cost. Not sure if that is still standard practice. What a great racket, as Al Capone would have said. Can't remember seeing a thin clergyman.They are experts at fleecing the gullible.

In 1870 the Catholics came up with the doctrine that the Pope was infallible. I can't recall they have since been sensible enough to rescind such nonsense !! Obviously noone is infallible.

Catholics have been told not to use contraception for centuries. What are they trying to do over-populate the world ? Last week the Pope declared condoms can be used but only to prevent the spread of AIDs, not to stop even more little Catholics - I mean get REAL

The churches regularly shoot themselves in the foot with unrealistic nonsense. Any good work is blighted by rubbishy anouncements
Contraception ?
Italy has vending machines in streets enabling any person to buy a contraceptive. An example of the state ignoring the church maybe?:whistling

No religion is good. No religion is evil. A religion is always going to be a reflection of the people within it.

The issue becomes one of how a small minority, or a charismatic individual, allows anything, political idea, religion, etc. to become corrupted, or its values distorted while the subservient majority allows it to continue.

Nazism was a vile and horrendous system. But, does that mean ALL Germans believed in it?
How many were simply drafted into the military, and chose to "go with the flow"?
Similarly, communism. How many simply adopted and played the rules simply to avoid being killed?

Religion itself is generally pointless. It may well offer some concepts towards morality.
But, I believe we can construct our own values without an external agency.

I find most religions and religious zealots ultimately weak, and passive aggressive.

Most religions seek to answer key philosophical issues with simplistic platitudes. For example, the nature and purpose of existence, self-value, fear of death, etc.

When accosted by Jehovahs Witnesses, I recommend them to read anything by Sam Harris.
(when confronted by such intellectual heathens, its best not to offend them, else you're just playing into their hands if they go away feeling you're a godless pagan! Give them something to think about!)

List of worst draconian parents in the world:

1: Peoples religions are generally the religions their parents imposed upon them.
a: (how many parents allow their children to understand ALL religions, and then allow them to make up their own minds?)
b: religious beliefs are a function of the environment they are brought up in, not a function of genuine intellectual insight
c: this is no more different than a function of the language people speak as children.

(if you express your christianity in spanish, its because you are brought up by spanish speaking parents in a spanish speaking country. if you express your christianity in french, this is because you were brought up by french-speaking christians.
language aside, if you believe in islam, judaism, hinduism or christianity, its more likely you were brought up by parental believers in a specific geographical region, RATHER THAN a genuine inrtellectual insight borne of your own thoughts.)

Mindless Parents have a lot to answer for.

Power is like a drug
Sniffs of power becomes ever more intoxicating
The need of it becomes a driving necessity.

Power is the control of others either by force, which is dire threats or mental control through ideas.

Saddam Hussein, Hitler and the rest just couldn't get enough of it.

Parental power is usurped early on in most children's lives by more forceful ideas. But then children who grow in a moral vacuum are liable to become feral and little better than savage animals

Devolvement of any critical thought is to blame. I agree that this is how all facets of stupidity propagate with little effort.

One of my favourite experiments... Applies to so many facets of life...

Start with a cage containing five monkeys.
In the cage, hang a banana on a string and put stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana.

As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the monkeys with cold water.

After a while, another monkey will make an attempt with the same response - all of the monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Keep this up for several days.

Turn off the cold water.

If, later, another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it even though no water sprays them.

Now, remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one.

The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm.

Replace the third original monkey with a new one. The new one makes it to the stairs and is attacked as well. Two of the four monkeys that beat him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs, or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing the fourth and fifth original monkeys, all the monkeys which have been sprayed with cold water have been replaced. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs.

Why not?

"Because that's the way it's always been done around here."

One of my favourite experiments... Applies to so many facets of life...

Start with a cage containing five monkeys.
In the cage, hang a banana on a string and put stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana.

As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the monkeys with cold water.

After a while, another monkey will make an attempt with the same response - all of the monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Keep this up for several days.

Turn off the cold water.

If, later, another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it even though no water sprays them.

Now, remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one.

The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm.

Replace the third original monkey with a new one. The new one makes it to the stairs and is attacked as well. Two of the four monkeys that beat him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs, or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing the fourth and fifth original monkeys, all the monkeys which have been sprayed with cold water have been replaced. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs.

Why not?

"Because that's the way it's always been done around here."

Whatya trying to prove At - that we are all a load of monkeys ?

This behavourial learning from the past has a very valid function and that is we and the rest of the animals don't have to start from zero each time. Things like hunger etc. are hardwired into us.

More icecream nurse and don't go easy on the brandy. like last time. See that's learning

Whatya trying to prove At - that we are all a load of monkeys ?

This behavourial learning from the past has a very valid function and that is we and the rest of the animals don't have to start from zero each time. Things like hunger etc. are hardwired into us.

More icecream nurse and don't go easy on the brandy. like last time. See that's learning

True, but with all things one must question and re-appraise...

Animals don't start from scratch! Tell that to a newly hatched birdy on its maiden flight... Leap of faith eh? Pun intended. :cheesy:

Religion takes thought and due consideration away from you... Tells it like it is! You know that ol chestnut...

I don't know if anyone here watched an interesting TV documentary about Islam and the Koran ?

A bit like the bible, being ideas loosely cobbled togethor. Some conflicting with others but much the same message of peace and tolerance. Chapter 16 verse 90 should seem particularly relevent.

The extremists have cherry-picked a few passages to supposedly support their views, just as Christian extremists did years ago.

Business/trade can't properly flourish in the conflict areas, thus condemning them to little advancement and a fossilised condition living in a time warp.

Blasphemy laws in Pakistan

Offenses relating to religion: Pakistan Penal code 295-C
Use of derogatory remarks, etc; in respect of the Holy Prophet. Whoever by words, either spoken or written or by visible representation, or by any imputation, innuendo, or insinuation, directly or indirectly, defiles the sacred name of the Holy Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) shall be punished with death, or imprisonment for life, and shall also be liable to fine.

Am I reading this right? You get executed AND you pay a fine?

So do they hang you first and then impose the fine or do you pay the fine before being hanged?

What if you used a credit card to pay the fine knowing the credit card statement would arrive after you were dead? How would they punish you for that?

dd

Last edited:
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...targets-for-giffordss-district-other-dems.php

White supremist Christians on the extreme right - the Tea Party movement for the heartlands of USA behind shooting of Gabrielle Giffords.

Taking politics to the extreme.

palin-crosshairs.jpg

Also this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTyCMyUo1Mg&feature=related
3:30 second onwards is quite damning of Palin's pastor.

This link http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...-to-palins-target-imagery-video.php?ref=dcblt
is also interesting where Gabrielle Gifford talks about the Health Bill, vandelisation of her democratic office and the Tea Party rhetoric heating up and stirring ill feeling.

That pig with lipstick is one sick puppy... Heard somewhere she shoots wolves from helicopters... Hockey mum that she is...

No longer entertaining but damn stupid.

Is this is likely to be the end of the Tea Party and Sarah Palin?

Last edited: