List of worst religions in the world

The question I cannot answer is whether mankind would continue to find reasons to kill each other in the absence of religion.

I am surprised that you are unable to answer this after your well thought out views expressed in the earlier part of your post. The answer in my view is a resounding yes and with a little research you can see that more people were killed under communism than all previous religious wars combined.

Without religion there would still be ideology and more importantly greed and envy which has a lot to do with why wars are started. Do you think that if there was no oil in Iraq that we would have bothered going to war there ? Why is it that we cannot be bothered to get involved in Darfur other than a token gesture ? Greed is the answer because Darfur has no resources that we want and that will always be the case for humanity regardless of religion or otherwise.

Paul

On some level, I find an ideology borne from human intellect (nomatter how flawed) somewhat more palatable than one that defers to an unanswerable authority. It at leasts informs me that we are one step closer to accepting responsibility for our own actions.

Because the 2 major religions are written down ( bible and Koran ), they are stuck with it. Opinions change with the times but they cannot. They are in a time warp and in danger of becoming increasingly irrelevent.

Until humans solve the problem of death there is absolutely no chance of religion becoming irrelevant.

dd

Even if that was solved, the world is full of idiots. The blind leading the blind. Its all about control and fairy dust

List of worst religions in the world

All of em, imo, as it turns otherwise normal people into intolerant, aggressive, fact twisting hypocrites more than ready to use violence to persuade those not subscribing to their point of view of the evil error of their ways.

christian-hypocrisy.jpg

Peaceful_religion.jpg

I do believe all religions (which believe in a God) are all as bad as each other.

If you believe in a God then you're mentally ill.
If you're mentally ill then there's no knowing what you'll do.
Hence kill rates etc is all blind luck IMO.

I refer once again, to the late George Carlin:

If you believe in a God then you're mentally ill.

Even though I see where you’re coming from with this remark I still think it’s a bit strong TBH.

The problem is who gets to define the condition of mental illness?

If it’s the majority then the bad news is it’s the atheists that end up in the mad house.

Stick around, I’m sure it won’t be long before some Emo-God head type pops up and accuses atheists of being autistic, emotional retards who are incapable of feeling love,

....and then round and round we go.

dd

My take is actually in all seriousness that the more religious people are, the more they subjugate themselves to organized religion and individuals more than willing to do their thinking for them, the less they believe in God.

They might go to church every Sunday, but come Monday or Tuesday won't have any qualms at all unlike most other truly decent, normal human beings of doing the exact opposite of what is suggested by even the most cursory reading of some religious texts and with great gusto start crucifying homos, support terror promoting wars based on nothing but lies and deceit, and stone or electrocute - depending on cherished local customs - people to death.

as it turns otherwise normal people into intolerant, aggressive, fact twisting hypocrites more than ready to use violence to persuade those not subscribing to their point of view of the evil error of their ways

Unlike Nazism and Communism where of course none of this ever happened.

Paul

Don't believe politicians just because they say it's true.
Stay cynical and one is probably quite near the truth, for what it's worth.

I can still recall Bill Clinton saying
" I have never had sexual relations with that woman"

:cheesy::cheesy:

Lying toad

The problem is who gets to define the condition of mental illness?

I do.

I don't think it's a bit strong because I'm actually talking about belief in the big man upstairs. The vast majority of religious people I've met don't actually believe in talking snakes and all that crap, they just believe that the bible/Qur'an etc is a a good guideline on how to live your life (or at least what they've been told it says).

If you actually looked at how many people REALLY belief in God, I think that in the educated world (I'm not sure America counts as part of the educated world), the number of people who really believe, is in the minority.

Tbh, I didn't know people actually believed until I was about 14 and, I thought it was like santa clause.

If you actually looked at how many people REALLY belief in God, I think that in the educated world (I'm not sure America counts as part of the educated world), the number of people who really believe, is in the minority.

I think a lot depends on how the question is phrased.

iirc most studies point to a figure that falls within the range of 50 to 90%.

So I guess the real figure is probably not too far off two in every three prople.

dd

Last edited:
At the same time, I am not too impressed by what the majority believe. They think that there is safety in numbers.

I do not want to enter into whether there is, or whether there is not. We'll all find out soon enough, but most who do not feel happier that way because they think that there is no punishment. In fact, the whole moral structure of society has deteriorated in my lifetime because of an absenceof purpose in our spiritual thought.

Anyway, I sense that I am getting involved and I live happily by following my own doctrine. You guys do your own thinking and Good Luck

Last edited:
My criticism of the interpretation of modern Christianity is that it covers even the worst sinners with foregiveness. So we are left with supporting these dreadful people at a huge cost when surely the money would be much better spent on the homeless etc.
Seems to have got their priorities wrong.

My criticism of the interpretation of modern Christianity is that it covers even the worst sinners with foregiveness. So we are left with supporting these dreadful people at a huge cost when surely the money would be much better spent on the homeless etc.
Seems to have got their priorities wrong.

How do we know whether God's and our criteria about what is good or bad are the same? We have a code of behaviour which is based on, or should be based on, the rights to live without infringing on the rights of others. Unfortunately, the Western standard of living has been at the expense of others. Yet we believe that God is on our side in any conflict in which we are involved.

Is God involved in this? Or is he a being that treats us as a part of His scheme of things, which has no relation to human moral standards?

Those who believe in God can only try to do what they believe is right in the hope that that is what He wants. Whether non-believers think that believers are full of crap is irrelevant, since no-one knows anything for sure.

How do we know whether God's and our criteria about what is good or bad are the same? We have a code of behaviour which is based on, or should be based on, the rights to live without infringing on the rights of others. Unfortunately, the Western standard of living has been at the expense of others. Yet we believe that God is on our side in any conflict in which we are involved.

Is God involved in this? Or is he a being that treats us as a part of His scheme of things, which has no relation to human moral standards?

Those who believe in God can only try to do what they believe is right in the hope that that is what He wants. Whether non-believers think that believers are full of crap is irrelevant, since no-one knows anything for sure.

All through history there have been the strong that take by force and guile and the weak ( women, children, old, sick etc. ) that have invented a moral authority ( church ), to counteract them. We are still playing out this scenario in the fight between good and evil. Whether there is a God at all is a seperate issue imho. After all, if there is, why doesn't the lazy sod come and talk to us.

But then I feel I should support some sort of moral authority, real or imagined, otherwise the nasty extremists have free rein to rape, pillage and murder. So a simple choice really. If there isn't a God , there bl**dy well aught to be.

o. After all, if there is, why doesn't the lazy sod come and talk to us.

I think that is the crux of the issue.

If we do not know what he wants we can only use our own criteria I, certainly, am not going to take the Pope's, or the Archbishop's view, as the way that I should go through life. Moses was a political leader who wanted to get his group from A to B. How do we know how he got the ten commandments, sensible and wise as they may be, accepted by his people?

Did he invent God or was he, really, told by Him what he had to write on that tablet?

So we come down through the ages accepting what "someone" was right and what we should do. When it comes down to the crux, what was was said, at that time, benefited a politician, or someone in power, who wished to impress and dominate us.

I remember my aunt, in the early forties, who really believed that God was going to win WWII. She was an intelligent woman but she used to sit in the church on Sunday completely engrossed in in what the vicar had to say while my uncle dug for victory in the allotment. Both of them were kindly people, but one knew that digging was the more realistic way to spend a Sunday morning. Which of these two have the greater chance of going to Heaven?