Keeping Britain British -Identity Crisis.

The Govt considers US-style yellow school buses.

BBC NEWS | Politics | Review backs yellow school buses

Some people are busy worrying about "foreign" and "british identity", that they fail to see the creeping americanisation of britain:
US-style Supreme Court was touted
US-style nationwide FBI
US-style SATs for schools
now, US-style school buses.
my personal hate: baseball caps (Go Red Sox!!)

britain no longer has a real identity, and is merely america-lite.
throw away the union jack and just become one more nondescript star on the american flag.

The problem is that many Americans prefer Europe, especially UK because of language, because their own country is not so good any more. However, once established, they begin to miss some of the good things of life. So Americanisation creeps in.

You'd be surprised at the influence retired Brits have had in Southern Spain. Whole villages have got to the stage where they are even debating whether to have an English mayor, or not.

The Germans have done the same with Mallorca and the Russians in Eucraine and other parts, although the latter did it by force. The Chinese are al over the place.

The trick is not to make yourselves so attractive to them, then they'll stay away!

Yank bashing on T2W, besides being a healthy pastime,is a good start! :D

Split

Why is Britain creeping to americanization??? Why you may ask, its the very simple answer ::There is nothing good anymore about the not so good Great Britain anymore. The oonly good thing about Britain is forever gone. The Medieval ages and its Kings and Queen, Knights in shining armour. Even educated British who speaks with the letter T on their words are flocking to other countries just to get away the British way of life. people work here, just to pay taxes which are in anyway make British people better but into poverty. The ones who benefits most are the ones who are Lazy, idle, insignificant uneducated most. British people are lucky to the immigrants who work and bust their asses by paying taxes to the STUPID TAXMAN who in return feed the trash people and give council flats to the 16 year olds who gets pregnant because of their stupidity by not getting free PILLS to the NHS that is being subsidized by the tax payer. BRITAIN has no identity. Even politicians have no identity as long as they receive their perks and their 2nd homes that is being subsidized by the overburden taxpayers. America has already crept within Britain. Watch telly.

The Govt considers US-style yellow school buses.

BBC NEWS | Politics | Review backs yellow school buses

Some people are busy worrying about "foreign" and "british identity", that they fail to see the creeping americanisation of britain:
US-style Supreme Court was touted
US-style nationwide FBI
US-style SATs for schools
now, US-style school buses.
my personal hate: baseball caps (Go Red Sox!!)

britain no longer has a real identity, and is merely america-lite.
throw away the union jack and just become one more nondescript star on the american flag.

Why is Britain creeping to americanization??? Why you may ask, its the very simple answer ::There is nothing good anymore about the not so good Great Britain anymore. The oonly good thing about Britain is forever gone. The Medieval ages and its Kings and Queen, Knights in shining armour. Even educated British who speaks with the letter T on their words are flocking to other countries just to get away the British way of life. people work here, just to pay taxes which are in anyway make British people better but into poverty. The ones who benefits most are the ones who are Lazy, idle, insignificant uneducated most. British people are lucky to the immigrants who work and bust their asses by paying taxes to the STUPID TAXMAN who in return feed the trash people and give council flats to the 16 year olds who gets pregnant because of their stupidity by not getting free PILLS to the NHS that is being subsidized by the tax payer. BRITAIN has no identity. Even politicians have no identity as long as they receive their perks and their 2nd homes that is being subsidized by the overburden taxpayers. America has already crept within Britain. Watch telly.

Whooh Whooh Whooh!! Steady on a bit sunshine.
Britian is GREAT!
And I will tell you why it's GREAT!
My Parents are immigrants they came to this country because you get ahead in this country because of your own merit not who you know,There was a lot of good in this country there is a lot of good in now and will always be. Why do you think you yourself and everyone else wants to come here?
The immigrants do not pay any unfair tax solely for immigrants they pay what everyone else pays!
We pay our taxes because we have a welfare state and when people need help they get it even the single mums you so vicously attack do get jobs eventually.

Lets get something right here immigrants are not the backbone of this country as you imply, I suspect you are referring to unskilled or manual low paying jobs the taxes paid by them(if they are paying any that is, and not on the blackmarket) probably would not keep a one single mother in benefits.
Thanks to my profession I am lucky enough to have lived in several countries and experienced several cultures everywhere I have been Brit's are respected.
Britian is GREAT for its fair minded decent people with the best sense of fair play in the world.
You will not find a nicer bunch anywhere and this (its people) is the reason Britian is GREAT

The problem is that many Americans prefer Europe, especially UK because of language, because their own country is not so good any more. However, once established, they begin to miss some of the good things of life. So Americanisation creeps in.

You'd be surprised at the influence retired Brits have had in Southern Spain. Whole villages have got to the stage where they are even debating whether to have an English mayor, or not.

The Germans have done the same with Mallorca and the Russians in Eucraine and other parts, although the latter did it by force. The Chinese are al over the place.

The trick is not to make yourselves so attractive to them, then they'll stay away!

Yank bashing on T2W, besides being a healthy pastime,is a good start! :D

Split

Split

I lived in Michigan for a few years back in the 90's ( yes, I am a confirmed America-phile if that's the right word ) and I found that many Americans tended to have a rather rose tinted perspective of us Brits.

They imagine the UK as a land of green fields and castles, believe the British to have perfect manners and think Eddie the Eagle is our national hero.

After visiting the UK and being exposed to kick off's in kebab shops ( I never once saw a fight on a night out when I was in America ), dirty streets, poor service, high prices, bad manners, chav culture etc I suspect many Americans return home disappointed with a nasty taste in their mouth ( I actually know people who work in catering and from some of the horror stories I've heard this may explain where they get this nasty taste :sick: ).

As for Yank bashing, yes of course nobody in this world should be above criticism and I think most Americans would agree that Good ole George Bush is a dim wit but I feel all this Yank bashing has definately gone a bit OTT lately. These days it's almost as if 11th September has now become the first day of Yank season here on T2W. You would have thought that all the usual suspects might have toned it down a little bit around this sad time of year ( cue the usual suspects with links to vids of gun camera footage ).

I wonder, had any other nationality or ethnic group received the same amount of stick that the mods here on t2w might have stamped it out by now on the grounds of racism or political correctness ?

dd

Nice of you to answer my tongue-in-cheek post. I had many good years working for an American company and it saddens me to to read such dislike.

It is a materialist world out there but, my God, who is calling the kettle black?

We are all gong to have to be re-educated in lots of ways but, I feel, it is going to be particularly difficult for us. At least, we have someone to blame.

Mind you, the US has it's "no-go" areas, too, and not all Brits go around kicking each others teeth in but it does seem to me that there is more unpleasantness in the UK than many other countries in Europe, certainly in Barcelona, where I live although, things aren't what they used to be here, either.

Still, there we are. Times change. Until the Yanks are needed again!

Split

These days it's almost as if 11th September has now become the first day of Yank season here on T2W. You would have thought that all the usual suspects might have toned it down a little bit around this sad time of year

Sad time of year ?

Sadder number of years since, more likely.

9-11 victims: 2,974

Iraq oil war victims: Estimates put the toll at between 100,000 and one million

That, and not the totally unconnected 9-11, is the by far biggest and most atrocious crime of the new millenium.

The USA had the deserved sympathy of the whole world after 9-11, but Bush had nothing better to do than mindlessly squander that by going after Iraqs oil, destroying democracy at home through the Patriot Act, reintroducing torture not only in Abu Ghraib, establishing Guantanamo, and leaving a legacy whose main imprint will be an administration based on nothing but all out incompetence, spin, lies, deceit and the blood and mutilation of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis, and thousands of US soldiers who joined the army not to do the bidding of a bunch of deluded NeoCons, but simply to defend their country, which to their own greatest detriment they have not done.

The Nazis and Soviets could be overcome without turning oneself into a rogue state, but 19 Saudi Arabians that committed a heinous crime on 9-11, but who with their supporters pose no larger threat than that of normal criminals, unlike the very real and very massive threats from Germany and Russia earlier, managed to achieve just that ?

What a pathetic joke of a nation that through doing that depicts itself not as strong, capable and courageous, but as weak, incompetent and cowardly.

Oh, and while we are at it, let us not forget the first 9-11 of 1973, when the USA that as far too often says one thing but does the total opposite caused the deaths of 3000 innocent people - more than died during the second 9-11, not even counting all the other deaths Pinochet caused under his terror reign - when they supported a military coup against the democratically elected government of Chile which led to Chile being terrorized by Pinochet until 1990.

Besides, no idea if it is a mentality thing, but I'd rather depend on myself and my European partners on my security rather than sponging and freeloading myself on a nation halfway across the world that can't even win wars in third world sand boxes like Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan.

As every country the USA have lots of good and lots of bad; but in the past 8 years the balance sheet has been nothing but catastrophic.

That said, I'm more than willing to reimbrace the US into my loving arms when Obama wins, as I don't have a proeblem with the US itself - how could one, one can be against policies or individuals, but not an entire nation - I just have a problem with the NeoCons aand their puppet, and the havoc and blood shed that they have caused.

Btw, the ability to differentiate very clearly between an entire country and the current leadership is equally evident throughout Germany.

It is no secret that we opposed Bush and the Iraq war from the very outset, but deducting from that that we are anti-American is just plain wrong, as our extremely enthusiastic welcoming of Obama clearly demonstrates:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/news-current-affairs/35652-germany-obama-superstar.html

As I wrote in another thread:

"Nobody would question that the USA, like everbody else, has its share of bad deeds, but it has also done a lot of good in the past, and I am the first to acknowledge that, and as I have shown in the "Germany: Obama Superstar" thread, the problems we have are by no means with the US itself, they are merely with the current leadership, with the corrrupt, incompetent, and criminal NeoCons that are currently running the show and making the world a much more dangerous place through a lost oil war in Iraq, and another lost war in Afghanistan, and, also, by having clearly demonstrated that illegal wars or overt force are once more a perfectly legitimate means of politics, a band wagon the Russians in Georgia and Chinese in Tibet have all too willingly leapt up on.

But my understanding of true friendship is that one does not shove problems under a carpet and hope they will disappear of their own accord.

Friendship does NOT mean supporting Mussolini just because the Romans contributed lots to civilization, nor does it mean supporting a friend I don't have who decides to go start robbing banks, and, in the same vein, friendship also does not mean supporting the US in a blatant oil war based on nothing but lies and deceit just because we also owe them a lot.

In all these cases REAl friendship means not breaking off the frienship in a childish huff of posturing.

But it also doesn't mean that I support my friend through his wrong and counterproductive plans just because he was a good guy in the past.

No, what it does mean, imo, is, remaining engaged, showing real conviction and real courage, standing up, doing the right thing, and telling ones friend that they are most seriously going off on a wrong tack that will without doubt entail unforseen and severe consequences.

That is real friendship.

Anything else really amounts to little more than the inexplicable, obsequious behaviour of an abused and exploited wife who nevertheless stands by her husband, or a mistreated dog that still loves its daddy."

OK, lets get Obama elected and take if rom there, and, Split and DD, you won't hear a peep from me no more.

;)

BSD, I'm not sure, now that he will win. He got most of the news when he was fighting against Hilary but, lately, it's been all over McCain and Pulin. Time will tell about that.

In any case, on this thread it's about the Brits. Haven't you anything to say that's bad about them?

What's good about Gordon? What's good that they won't come into the Euro? What's good about them going into Iraq? We're not perfect, either, you know. Don't you think that it's disgraceful that the US had to go into Yugoslavia because Europe was unable to do the job? That shows how powerful Europe is.

Split mate, I'd have lots of bad things to say about Bushs fawning poodle Blair, lol, but thank God he is history (sad, actually, when you stop to consider that he could have used his undeniable talents and charisma on sthg positive, rather than squandering his career on one single enormous and obsequious counterproductive and negative brainfart), but, besides, a huge majority of Brits was against Iraq anyway from the outset. (Same story in the US by now, a very large majority say Iraq was a bad mistake based on nothing but fabricated BS.)

Oh, and did I mention I love London.

Always ready to find an excuse to go there and have one heck of a great time.

Split mate, I'd have lots of bad things to say about Bushs fawning poodle Blair, lol, but he is history, and, besides, a huge majority of Brits was against Iraq anyway from the outset. (Same story in the US by now, a very large majority say Iraq was a bad mistake.)

Oh, and did I mention I love London.

Always ready to find an excuse to go there and have one heck of a great time.

You are dodging the issue for friendship's sake, but I'll accept that. :D

Blair made mistakes but he said it in his final speech. He loves our country. If he did what he did in good faith, I'll forgive him a lot. That goes for the Americans, too.

What I'd like to know is

Is there anyone in Brussels who, truly, loves Europe and who would put his ass on the line for it?

Split

Mate, you've got a point there, haha, as I know from experience that you Brits have a, umm, thing with, err, "Brussels", hehe, so I think I'll rather tell you next week - gotta run now - about a great time we had in Barcelona this March instead.

Lovely spot on the planet you chose for yourself, gotta say.

The only thing I absolutely hated there was those tiny cages they stuff animals in on that main big boulevard there, is it called the Gamblas or sthg like that. Thats a BIG NONONONO !!!!!!!

Yes, the Spanish are cruel, by our standards, in their attitude to animals. You'd be surprised at the dogs that get turned out of their homes, into the streets, while the family goes on holiday. The authorities leave ads on the tv of a sad looking dog, in the middle of the street , that says "Don't leave me!"

We live in the end of days period.
An almighty apocalypse is nigh.
Britains identity hardkly matters.
Just make the most of the time we have left.

The authorities leave ads on the tv of a sad looking dog, in the middle of the street , that say's "Don't leave me!"
Well, thats a good start at least then.

Seeing those poor animals in those TINY cages no bigger than the living animal itself really churned my stomach, really made me feel sick.

But if the authorities are starting to wake up to that, well, then lets hope that an awareness will gradually spread.

OK, really gotta run now, have a nice weekend. :)

We live in the end of days period.
An almighty apocalypse is nigh.
Britains identity hardkly matters.
Just make the most of the time we have left.

Lord! What's going to happen in 2012?

Apart from all sorts of foreigners running around after gold medals? :)

... and leaving a legacy whose main imprint will be an administration based on nothing but all out incompetence, spin, lies, deceit and the blood and mutilation of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis..

That's Tony Bliar to a T.

Reactions: BSD
That's Tony Bliar to a T.

That smirky git converted to Catholism, opened up some religious establishment in the US and with paper headlines saying Tony Bliar trying to bring the faiths together blah blah blah.

Tony Blair: I want to spend my life uniting faiths | Politics | guardian.co.uk

In fact having your own church in the US is the best and biggest way of not paying tax and obtaining tax exemptions.

So that's £0.5m from JP Morgan tax free.

Death and taxes, two inescapable truths. Thank God for that... :cheesy:

He's looking for another damned argument.

Atilla, I agree with you 100%, for the time being.

Working day, tomorrow. Good night all.

Split