how to got myself a trader job?

dealer30

Hi guys,

I am a derivatives dealer for 8 months(that's all the finance experience i have) and i have a master degree in Finance.

Now I really want to find a new job and to be a trader. Any suggestions where and how to get a job in an big investment banking company? I have sent my CV to a agent(3 weeks ago) in City and they haven't got me any interviews so far. so I want to know where have I done wrong and how to make it correct? Are they not like a female trader?

By the way, I heard that trader has to work really long hours(12-14 hours a day), can someone explain to me does that affect your family life? and what is the reason a trader has to work so hard?

Any questions will be appreciated, guys! And pls don't laugh if my questions sounds silly!

Thanks!

you could try checking www.efinancialcareers.com and www.cityjobs.com instead of just sitting on your ar-se and waiting for a recruitment agent to earn a commission.

Working at an IB isnt really trading, you need to decide if you want to work for a firm or be a trader, backed or otherwise. Investment banking and proprietary trading are two whole different kettles.

If you have the potential to be a good trader, being female will not be a hindrance at all, I assure you. big boobs would be a definate bonus, however.

the reason why prop traders work 12-14 hours is because to be a truly good trader means capitalizing on every possible opportunity - and obviously, the only times you can cash in on a good trading opp is when the market is at its most active, which would be, err.. when its open, which is from 7am till much later than you really ever want to stay in the office.

dealer30 said:
By the way, I heard that trader has to work really long hours(12-14 hours a day), can someone explain to me does that affect your family life?

err... depends if you have a family. Doesnt affect mine, coz its just meeee! :cheesy:

Master degree in Finance don't mean you can be a successful trader, but it should help you get in the Door.

Good Luck

PS
Have you ever traded before?

Hi, I am in college right now. May i ask how long does is the master degree course and what qualifications do you need to do the course?

thanks for the reply!

i would like to work for a big investment banking company(front office) and learn experiences first. to be honest, high salary plus good bonus is my final goal :D ,I understand hard work and a bit talent requested!

Arbitrageur said:
you could try checking www.efinancialcareers.com and www.cityjobs.com instead of just sitting on your ar-se and waiting for a recruitment agent to earn a commission.

Working at an IB isnt really trading, you need to decide if you want to work for a firm or be a trader, backed or otherwise. Investment banking and proprietary trading are two whole different kettles.

If you have the potential to be a good trader, being female will not be a hindrance at all, I assure you. big boobs would be a definate bonus, however.

the reason why prop traders work 12-14 hours is because to be a truly good trader means capitalizing on every possible opportunity - and obviously, the only times you can cash in on a good trading opp is when the market is at its most active, which would be, err.. when its open, which is from 7am till much later than you really ever want to stay in the office.

thanks for the reply!

no i don't have any trading experience, that is the reason i am thinking i should look for a job like trader support/assistant, is it a correct direct?

laptop1 said:
Master degree in Finance don't mean you can be a successful trader, but it should help you get in the Door.

Good Luck

PS
Have you ever traded before?

good luck!

hello, a master degree in Finance takes about 1 year (from start untill you submit your dessertation)but most university won't give you your certification straight away, it takes few months after you submit your dissertation. in my case, we finished our dissertation in Sep. and graduate date is the end of March next year ;)

i think it depends on university, the better university request higher scores in your Bachelor degree. so get good scores when you are doing your Bachelor degree are really important .

QUOTE=lamode]Hi, I am in college right now. May i ask how long does is the master degree course and what qualifications do you need to do the course?[/QUOTE]