FX-2007: Jan 29th > Feb 2nd

5 minute chart

Phil Mibbutz said:
Any particular theories why it's tumbled this morning?
Is trying to come back up?

Attachments

• untitled33.JPG
    untitled33.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 227
I'm quite impressed by the fear I managed to put in the market by placing a limit order at 1.9510 :cheesy: As with so many of my levels recently, the market just failed to reach before turning away. Why does it always just reach the stop losses before doing the same :devilish:

Offshore Trader said:
I'm quite impressed by the fear I managed to put in the market by placing a limit order at 1.9510 :cheesy: As with so many of my levels recently, the market just failed to reach before turning away. Why does it always just reach the stop losses before doing the same :devilish:

how do you estimate your targets?

jacinto said:
how do you estimate your targets?

Well of course, that is the problem. It's probably not so much unlucky, as lack of skill.

Principally, I do aim at a set number of points but also look at where support/resistance is likely to be to tweak those. I guess I'm just going through a bad run at the moment and luck will turn.

The main problem has been that lately breakout methods haven't worked that well because we have seen few straight line moves in the UK timezone which don't reverse during the same day. Unfortunately today is showing signs of the same.

Offshore Trader said:
I don't tend to look at Fib numbers. Perhaps I should........

Well,of course they don't work every time but I find them sometimes useful for intraday reversal points in a non-news day.

Offshore Trader said:
Well of course, that is the problem. It's probably not so much unlucky, as lack of skill.

Principally, I do aim at a set number of points but also look at where support/resistance is likely to be to tweak those. I guess I'm just going through a bad run at the moment and luck will turn.

The main problem has been that lately breakout methods haven't worked that well because we have seen few straight line moves in the UK timezone which don't reverse during the same day. Unfortunately today is showing signs of the same.

see what you mean. I wont reply regarding method, as that is up to each one of us. if you want to discuss it, we can PM instead.
i get similar problems at times. i have started to use a homemade solution to adjusting targets :cheesy: . Instead of going for targets to the pip, i take a "conservative" profit target, so to speak (i.e. 10 pips below or above the "full target"). has definitely improved accuracy, and lowered risk of not getting to target.

j

Still targeting the upside DC?

position closed this moning 595 stop order staying out for today as I expect more down later today poss a 574 -477 move

Why does it always just reach the stop losses before doing the same

the market reaches stop levels and turns often because so many people place there stops at the same level the most common method is as you describe look for supp/resist and tweak a little 10 pips or so thus when the market hits those levels there are a lot of orders and the price moves
The dynamic of the market has changed in recent weeks its still making the same moves but the time frame has altered and the move is happening overnight and early morning this will have a negative effect on early morning breakout strats

None of the numbers/methods seem to have worked for the past couple of days. It looked like a lot of orders had been put at around 600 this morning and that should have been a cue to sell once it broke through. Easy to be wise now, of course!

a_gnome said:
Afternoon all,
Fortunately VEBO Variant has had an ok run over the last few days. Nothing major but it's been putting away a few pips here and there. Was long overnight from 9620 odd and reversed short at 9645 which it is still holding.

Been out of the office this morning but have come back to a pleasant surprise! Still holding the 9645 short which is seriously on-side now. Let's hope for more downside.

I can't believe it's doing this. After being +125 it's giving it all back half an hour before my close time. Fricking typical.

Thats nice man thats very nice man

of course it still needs to give an exit 511

City Bound said:
I can't believe it's doing this. After being +125 it's giving it all back half an hour before my close time. Fricking typical.

Amen! I hear you brother, and I too feel your (financial) pain. That was some reversal there - I'm about to go long now. :rolleyes:

Quelque fois, le trading systematique c'est un grand bordel (with apologies to any genuine french speakers)

Hmm madness, ive closed my long for .08 pip gain from that long 1.9592, That euro looked tasty on a pull back to 1.2925, gagging for a long I thought, eyeballing the chart, looks like that slouch cable was adjusting to the eur/gbp strength or something. I dunno.

I need pill's for me nerves. :)

flat now waiting . For something.