City index spreads very competitive????

Pity if City's reputation falls apart again after all the efforts they've put in over about the last year. No doubt the competition will be amused, though!

Carefull with these today prices all over the place,difficult to get trade thru and (unsuprisingly) could not get thru on phone.

I know markets like this are very fast but in my experience the platform can't cope with it nearly as well as say IG.

Shame because other than that I still like them!

Carefull with these today prices all over the place,difficult to get trade thru and (unsuprisingly) could not get thru on phone.

I know markets like this are very fast but in my experience the platform can't cope with it nearly as well as say IG.

Yes rightly so, without a user predefine stop it can be very risky trading with them in such market conditions like today. You must be absolutely sure to get that stop order placed. A few re-quotes today but not much really compared to others.

It takes a long time to annoy IG, and if you're trading 1-10gbp a point you'll be fine. I've only experience problems on 50+, and a lot of the time it goes straight through. A lot of the time they only accept my trades when it goes in their favour, but i'm sure they are better than city index, who are pending my 1 gbp per points, which should just autobot.

It takes a long time to annoy IG, and if you're trading 1-10gbp a point you'll be fine. I've only experience problems on 50+, and a lot of the time it goes straight through. A lot of the time they only accept my trades when it goes in their favour, but i'm sure they are better than city index, who are pending my 1 gbp per points, which should just autobot.

Must admit as a complete package don't think you can beat ig I really like the advanced chart package which I use all the time and they are more reliable than city.

However their spread on the dow at 2 is double city which I can kind of live with but then they do a few naughty things I don't like for instance at 9pm they put the spread on the dow up again to 6 (i think) where as city stay at 1 till 9.15.

I also kind of like the deal ticket on city its so quick and simple to set stops and limits at the time of the trade.

As long as the issues are occasional I can live with it (I always set a stop with the trade)I guess I should use ig when markets are likely to be very volatile like Friday.

Just a shame they can't fix the issue (many on advfn were complaining too) it seems fairly clear what the problem is the platform can't keep up when the markets move really fast.

Not a figure is correct on the indices trading with City today. Do you guys have the same problem?

Cityindex platform is absolutely useless at the moment, can't login, or cant close trades because the prices are so far out.

Cityindex platform is absolutely useless at the moment, can't login, or cant close trades because the prices are so far out.
Yes they had some problem today as well. I changed the index that I was trading, in order to be able to get my trades through. Hopefully they will sort it out soon.

Cityindex platform freezing and stopping trading due to prices not updating, costing a lot money on trades which I can't exit.

No-one answering the phones either.

Absolutely f'in useless.

Last edited:
Cityindex platform freezing and stopping trading due to prices not updating, costing a lot money on trades which I can't exit.

No-one answering the phones either.

Absolutely f'in useless.

I have missed several oppertunitys today not happy,although I guess I should know better than to use them on days like this.
And they are really worrying me today not only the usual (with these markets) wrong prices but at one point showing previously closed position as still open!!!!!!!!

If anyone is having a bad experience with their spread bet trades, slipped fills, stops taken out, dodgy spikes, held orders, market suspensions etc, post your experiences on my new thread as I am collecting all the information so we can see who the worst offenders are.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/spre...ch-needed.html
I have been trading with City for about six month. I am quite impressed by the execution and spread they deliver. Sure once in a while a rejected trade but it has to do with network latency. Market and stop loss orders right on the point, no slippage what so ever. I trade quite a lot (small stakes though) so I know, very pleased with their execution service. City have got some well known technical issues with the website, goes down at times, so you have to be dead sure you got your stop loss in place. Also at times problem with a very volatile market, but when it occurs you cannot get orders executed, so you have to wait until they get it sorted out. Held orders and suspensions I have had no problem with this, when such a thing occurs it is usually due to some technical problems, not manipulation of some sort.

There is one major drawback with City, no predefine user stop loss in points. This is a security issue (big warning, errors can occur when you manually enter the stop loss and it takes time) which make me not increase my stakes trading with them. Also in the morning open of the UK exchange, they wait for 30 seconds before they open FTSE for trading.
If it wasn't for the missing user predefine stop loss in points I would rate them in the top three of SB providers.

Yes although the well documented issues when the market is in hyper mode.I have to admit I kind of like the platform its a simple does what it says on the tin job and other than the above executtion is very fast and they DO reject the trade if the market moves in your favour.I have never had a stop not go through on the point.

Also setting the stop and limit when opening a trade is a lot less "fidly" than other platforms.

I don't use their charts as I need a more advanced set up (use ig advanced) but I think there are quite a few like me who like the way city do business.

Also setting the stop and limit when opening a trade is a lot less "fidly" than other platforms.
What do you mean by this tim3? Less "fidly", more awkward I would say. You cannot set the stop and limit in points, how do you manage in a fast moving market?

What do you mean by this tim3? Less "fidly", more awkward I would say. You cannot set the stop and limit in points, how do you manage in a fast moving market?

I know the level I want my stop/limit even in fast markets so find it easier just to type it in rather than how many points away from the price it is.

I know the level I want my stop/limit even in fast markets so find it easier just to type it in rather than how many points away from the price it is.
No errors typing in, or denial in typing it in, honestly?:) I find it hard to type it in manually, I get stressed up in a volatile market. I guess it has to do with how many traders you take during the day (I do quite many). The more trades you take on the greater the risk for errors. If I would have the stop in points I would be very pleased with City, and could easily increase my stake.

Last edited:
No errors typing in, or denial in typing it in, honestly?:) I find it hard to type it in manually, I get stressed up in a volatile market. I guess it has to do with how many traders you take during the day (I do quite many). The more traders you take on the greater the risk for errors. If I would have the stop in points I would be very pleased with City, and could easily increase my stake.

Ok I take your point and yes on the odd occasion I have entered a stop 447 points away instead of 47 :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: