City index spreads very competitive????

nice spreads,but the worst sb company i have dealt with.
logging on problems, able to deal only when they choose,disconnections.
opened account yesterday closed it today
With one post on this forum and a verdict after one day of trading. It don't count for much in my eyes.

When market moves really fast like it did at times in the last hour in the states today City's platform has real problems coping and it cost me money today.

Although most of the time they are fine its still disapointing when it happens.
Could it be they have had some technical problem today? I did not myself trade today, so I don't really know. To me Cityindex have proven over the month to be very reliable. sure once in a while a requote or so, but that is part of the game.

When market moves really fast like it did at times in the last hour in the states today City's platform has real problems coping and it cost me money today.

Although most of the time they are fine its still disapointing when it happens.

BTW , last week after the FED decision i experienced some delay in a couple of trades ...

I have used them regularly for well over a year and I really like them however in my view they do have a problem when the Dow is moving really fast.

What happened today was I could not close a Dow position as it appeared that the quote could not keep up with the market,I have had this before when things are moving really fast cost me about 20 points and to be fair IG's quote kept up.

But there again you have double the spread with IG and they also put their spread up at 21.00 where as Citys stays the same till 21.15

Don't think many would argue IG's platform is better but other than the problem above I still like City.

I have used them regularly for well over a year and I really like them however in my view they do have a problem when the Dow is moving really fast.

What happened today was I could not close a Dow position as it appeared that the quote could not keep up with the market,I have had this before when things are moving really fast cost me about 20 points and to be fair IG's quote kept up.

But there again you have double the spread with IG and they also put their spread up at 21.00 where as Citys stays the same till 21.15

Don't think many would argue IG's platform is better but other than the problem above I still like City.

This can be due to the speed of your internet connection, ie, by the time the info has popped onto your screen and your buy or sell instruction gets back to their system, the price has moved. I've had fewer requotes since getting a fibreoptic link, which has a much faster ping and upload speed.

This can be due to the speed of your internet connection, ie, by the time the info has popped onto your screen and your buy or sell instruction gets back to their system, the price has moved. I've had fewer requotes since getting a fibreoptic link, which has a much faster ping and upload speed.
Absolutely, hardware matters. At the moment I have 100Mbits download and 10Mbits upload (ADSL+). I would prefer 100Mbits upload with a fiber connection. After upgrading my computer to a 4 core processor things runs more smoothly and safety. Also, the location of the servers is of importance, residing in UK is definitely a benefit as most of the SB servers is located there.

Anyone trading the Dow open with them today?

Platform up and down quotes lagging really poor at present.

THIS SITE IS A LAUGH,YOU HAVE GOT A DELUDED gle101 WITH HIS 2261 POSTS SAYING THIS IS A GOOD COMPANY.AND tim3 WHO POSSIBLY TOOK NOTICE OF HIM,COUNTNG HIS LOSSES BECAUSE HE TRADED WITH THEM YESTERDAY.

this site is a laugh,you have got a deluded gle101 with his 2261 posts saying this is a good company.and tim3 who possibly took notice of him,countng his losses because he traded with them yesterday.

it's great to hear from someone so loud and happy.

Just want to say that I have always experienced the same problems with city index and I have been with them for years. When the market is moving quickly or around news time the platform will freeze or get disconnected. It does not matter whether I am logged in via mobile broadband or using my VPS. I only use city index for long term positions because of these factors.

At the moment I am trying to develop some automated trading of these strategies using Smart Live Markets or at least use Metatrader to alert me to open positions on other platforms. I have accounts with all the major spreadbet companies an dthey all have strengths and weaknesses.

THIS SITE IS A LAUGH,YOU HAVE GOT A DELUDED gle101 WITH HIS 2261 POSTS SAYING THIS IS A GOOD COMPANY.AND tim3 WHO POSSIBLY TOOK NOTICE OF HIM,COUNTNG HIS LOSSES BECAUSE HE TRADED WITH THEM YESTERDAY.

With any bb post you should always dyor as you never know for sure whats being said is correct or true.

Having said that none of the posts I have read by gle101 give me reason to suspect he is doing anything other than being helpful and posting his own experience.

I think you are somewhat overreacting.:)

I have been around too long to be "deluded" by anybody.

With any bb post you should always dyor as you never know for sure whats being said is correct or true.

Having said that none of the posts I have read by gle101 give me reason to suspect he is doing anything other than being helpful and posting his own experience.
Thank you tim 3.
I have not been trading much this past week, could very well be the case that City have had some problems lately. City's platform flaws are well known and if additional problem arise, I am sure you agree, it is wise to take a break for a day or so in in order for them to sort things out. If they don't, one can always trade with another SB.

Thank you tim 3.
I have not been trading much this past week, could very well be the case that City have had some problems lately. City's platform flaws are well known and if additional problem arise, I am sure you agree, it is wise to take a break for a day or so in in order for them to sort things out. If they don't, one can always trade with another SB.

After trying the opposition for a while, I used City (Fins, actually, but it's the same as far as I know) a lot on US30 last week. In about fifty trades I had only one brief platform freeze, maybe three 'price moved' trade rejections and a few error messages that sorted themselves out, anyway.

Seems pretty good, to me, but that was mostly at £1 per pt. I do wonder if the platform has some sort of feature that results in more interference and rejections as stake sizes increase.

After trying the opposition for a while, I used City (Fins, actually, but it's the same as far as I know) a lot on US30 last week. In about fifty trades I had only one brief platform freeze, maybe three 'price moved' trade rejections and a few error messages that sorted themselves out, anyway.

Seems pretty good, to me, but that was mostly at £1 per pt. I do wonder if the platform has some sort of feature that results in more interference and rejections as stake sizes increase.
Yes, it sounds you haven't had much of a problem lately. I don't take much notice if I have problems for a day or so, if it continues and becomes a hazard trading with that company ones has to move on. Non of this so far with City as I see it.

Serious technical issues today which to be fair they have admitted on the web site.

Cityindex is probably the worst SB company out there.
I tried to use them today for the first time, as they are quoting options on commodities.

I tried the following:

- Opening a commodity option in the morning. Online it was not possible, so I rang the dealing desk. They said they can't give me a quote, as the "exchange" is not open yet (never knew they are hedging). Anyhow, this saved me some losses funnily.

- Since I put funds into my account, I wanted to use them during the day. I was not able to access the platform at any given time until now (1h30) due to "technical issues".

- I tried to place a bet on silver: Like 5 times it did not take my order, due to "erorrs". Then I realized that they have an odd lot on silver (0.5) which effectively would double my position. I finally managed to open a trade, only to realize that changing the stops takes hours.

Wonder if the options are any good.

Again, the only system running stable over the last 2 days and not giving me excessive slippage is Worldspreads. I need to mention, as it seems to get very bad comments here all the time.

Happy trading - now the unwinding is over (y)
Yuppie

If this does not improve am considering moving funds over to ig (who I use for charts anyway) not least because having been with(city) them for over a year I have noticed no improvements to the platform at all and if anything they seem to be getting worse.

Shame really becuase for long periods of time theh have been fine and the 1 point Dow spraed is great.

If this does not improve am considering moving funds over to ig (who I use for charts anyway) not least because having been with(city) them for over a year I have noticed no improvements to the platform at all and if anything they seem to be getting worse.

Shame really becuase for long periods of time theh have been fine and the 1 point Dow spraed is great.
Take it easy, they have informed about technical problems, this means they are working on it. However as said many times before, the service comes with well known flaws and I don't think these will be corrected as long as they stay with the current platform.