City index spreads very competitive????

I have never used city index and how would people rate them against other sb's. I like platforms to be simple to use.

Can't complain if that is the case, i've not yet been privy to a positive slippage and you are probably right that you are a rare circumstance! Anyone else experienced positive slippage? :clap:

I received positive slippage today, a rare treat:D

I have to agree with the above posts, Cityindex have surprise me with good execution and no problem with slippage. I have not had many "price no longer valid", just a few rejected trades and that is to be expected. They have so far kept their promise to keep the 1 point spread on the Dow and that is quite impressive stuff. Simple clean and fast platform, I like it very much. They do not however have a user predefine stop loss in points, and that keeps me for giving them the highest ranking.

If they had trading directly from charts and trailing stops, they'd make all the other SBs redundant.

Too unreliable for me I'm afraid, sounds like they're having a good week but they have been so flakey in the past that I've given up and moved on. I need a platform I can access.

Too unreliable for me I'm afraid, sounds like they're having a good week but they have been so flakey in the past that I've given up and moved on. I need a platform I can access.
When did you trade with them last, no accessible problems since I started trading with then a couple of month back.

When did you trade with them last, no accessible problems since I started trading with then a couple of month back.

Until a while ago the platform was useless, but the only problem I've had in about a year is an occasional tendency for it to slow down on fills (although even then it's still faster than many other SBs, not mentioning any C*Cs or WSs).

Until a while ago the platform was useless, but the only problem I've had in about a year is an occasional tendency for it to slow down on fills (although even then it's still faster than many other SBs, not mentioning any C*Cs or WSs).

Must have been tempting fate. This week the platform has been generally less stable. It's disconnected itself several times when the markets have moved quickly (all other applications fine, so it's not a broadband issue), and fills on things like oil seem to make the effective spread about twice the theoretical amount. Also, the 1pt spread on WS30 fut has apparently widened to 4pt.

Been using city index for a month now, have traded up to £30 per point and have not had one issue.

All fills, no requotes, fast execution etc etc and the spreads that match and have traded around 500 trades?

Platform is simple and straight forward and exactly what is required, cant say enough about them at the moment?

Spreads are the best, ftse till late still 1pip as is dow and main currency pairs best in the business. WTI poor spread but IG 4 pips if u trade that, if u trade main indicies and currency pairs why spread bet anywhere else?

Just to add guys, in terms of slippage, I know exactly what my entry and exit points are and expected calculated profit on each trade and have sometimes expected some slippage on the account by maybe a point or 2 when I have seen the market race past my stop( cant win them lol) but have not seen any slippage whatsoever next?

Not sure what business model they are working on as their spreads may even be loss leaders but if they are enticing newbies that are throwing away their cash who cares?

Must have been tempting fate. This week the platform has been generally less stable. It's disconnected itself several times when the markets have moved quickly (all other applications fine, so it's not a broadband issue), and fills on things like oil seem to make the effective spread about twice the theoretical amount. Also, the 1pt spread on WS30 fut has apparently widened to 4pt.
Strange, on my side no disconnections. Yes I notice WS30 is 4 spread wide, but the WS daily future is as I am writing this 1 point spread. Maybe they forgot to switch it on.:)

never noticed the spreads any different than quoted at anytime? always seen the dow at 1pip market hours, 4 pips out?

In regards to oil, the volitility on that lately makes it almost impossible to trade without some slippage or spread movements I would guess and a nightmare for a spread betting company with tight spreads?

If you have tried using a DMA type platform to trade and entered market orders at any given time they can a distance from your entry point and exit point and are a pretty scary tool during the very volitile times such as the latest oil movement? Cannot blame spread betters for requotes and slippage sduring these times i think so bearing all that in mind pretty impressive performance by most of the companies?

Fair to say there has been a huge improvement in most spread betting companies as it is very competitive at the moment and great for us traders getting good service and value for money, not just at city index.

I currently trade with these most days and their execution has been excellent and for my needs the spread on the FTSE and Dow is spot on.

I think if they got a better charts package they could actually be the best sb out there (for ftse and dow anyway) as they are prehaps the only company that genuinley give customers what they want,fast reliable execution and tight spreads.

I like IG but when trading the dow particularly they are more expensive for instance although the 2 point spread on the dow is ok it then shoots up to 6 points at 21.00 where as citys stays at 1 point till 21.15 this is a bit naughty in my book.

If city could just get a charts package like IG's advanced charts that would complete the package.

Agree on the charts front, Fins (same as City) are no good in relation to the IG charts. Hopefully this will change as their product seems to have changed for the better over the last several months.

Never used City Index myself, but i like the advert image on their home page:

MobileCampaignPromo.jpg

:LOL:

Twice today I had closing deals rejected because market had moved in my FAVOUR :)

nice spreads,but the worst sb company i have dealt with.
logging on problems, able to deal only when they choose,disconnections.
opened account yesterday closed it today

Last edited:
When market moves really fast like it did at times in the last hour in the states today City's platform has real problems coping and it cost me money today.

Although most of the time they are fine its still disapointing when it happens.