Automatic Pattern Search

johnpaterson said:
Hello Pat, I looked at the APS product a couple of months ago. I tried to purchase a license two weeks ago but I was turned down -- believe it or not!

I then tried to get an explanation about the rejection but no details were offered.

Do you or anyone else know if there is a third party re-seller of this product? I googled but I could not find one.

Thanks in advance, John

Hello John, did the payment system reject you or the company? It is often the case that credit card processing systems reject a buyer because the address info does not match the address on record, etc. Did you talk to the company about it?

Alex

alexander said:
Hello John, did the payment system reject you or the company? It is often the case that credit card processing systems reject a buyer because the address info does not match the address on record, etc. Did you talk to the company about it?

Alex

Hello Alex. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. No, it wasn't credit card related problem. My payment went through but it was later refunded by the company. Well, I'm looking for alternative supplier.

John

Hello Alex. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. No, it wasn't credit card related problem. My payment went through but it was later refunded by the company. Well, I'm looking for alternative supplier.

John

I see you got the program and making some money too! Good move John.

Make sure you read and understand the article by Michael Harris on trading multiple pattern formations. Fidelity found it important enough to publish it on their website. This is the way to make big money with APS. You will find it here:

http://personal.fidelity.com/myfidelity/atn/archives/august2003.html

Alex

How is your trading with APS going Alex?

I'm working on a few APS add-ons. I've written a VB program to take the scan output, filter it according to a number of criteria. This is useful if one plans to use the scan output to automate trading. You can have up to 10 different criteria in the filter like a ratio of price to 200 MA, RSI value, SMA crossover condition T or F, etc.

Ron

I see you got the program and making some money too! Good move John.

Make sure you read and understand the article by Michael Harris on trading multiple pattern formations. Fidelity found it important enough to publish it on their website. This is the way to make big money with APS. You will find it here:

http://personal.fidelity.com/myfidelity/atn/archives/august2003.html

Alex

How is your trading with APS going Alex?

I'm working on a few APS add-ons. I've written a VB program to take the scan output, filter it according to a number of criteria. This is useful if one plans to use the scan output to automate trading. You can have up to 10 different criteria in the filter like a ratio of price to 200 MA, RSI value, SMA crossover condition T or F, etc.

Ron

Ron, sorry it took so long to reply. In case you develop any APS add-on as you say I would be interested to purchase it from you if I determine it is useful to my trading methods.

I do some filtering using an excel worksheet I get from the scan output. It is also interesting that in the latest version (I think it is 4.93) you can add scan results to system tracking directly. I plan to upgrade to that feature soon since APS signals have become an integrated part of my trading.

regards, Alex

Has anyone tried using the system for intraday ? And if so with what results ?

Hi Pat, I started testing intraday 15 minute EUR/USD and GBP/USD data and I am getting some good results. The main problem is execution time. I have over 30,00 bars in my data files and it takes about 3 days on a dual core 2.40 GHz CPU. I need to get one of those faster quad core machines.

If you are to run APS on intraday data it seems to me a dedicated machine is required.

By the way, I have gotten good results for ES intraday 5 minute bars but I am not trading that at the moment.

Another problem is getting the data files without errors and such. But it certainly worths trying.

Alex

The main problem is execution time. I have over 30,00 bars in my data files and it takes about 3 days on a dual core 2.40 GHz CPU. I need to get one of those faster quad core machines. Alex

Alex, best APS results are for daily bars. I made good profits during the recent Dow rally by just scanning a list of 50 stocks for profit target and stop loss equal to 5%. It only takes less than 10 minutes a day to run the scan in extended mode.

Good luck to you.

Ron

Alex, best APS results are for daily bars. I made good profits during the recent Dow rally by just scanning a list of 50 stocks for profit target and stop loss equal to 5%. It only takes less than 10 minutes a day to run the scan in extended mode.

Good luck to you.

Ron

I agree and I like your approach. I do something similar one with S&P stocks.

Alex

Hi Pat, I know use APS with 15 minute forex bars and I have some excellent back tests. I will be using the software for real time trading soon. I have figured out a way to use the scan function real-time on 3, 5, 7 and 12 minute bars.

Hi Pat, I know use APS with 15 minute forex bars and I have some excellent back tests. I will be using the software for real time trading soon. I have figured out a way to use the scan function real-time on 3, 5, 7 and 12 minute bars.

Interesting to know how you get on
thx

Hi, you can automate it using MQL (metatrader) for forex. Custom timeframes are also possible...

I don't think having a large list of patterns would be a problem with MQL...

Last edited:
Hi, you can automate it using MQL (metatrader) for forex. Custom timeframes are also possible...

I don't think having a large list of patterns would be a problem with MQL...

Hello ForexDude, MQL and Metatrader look interesting although the language appears complicated for someone without a computer science degree. Regardless, doesn't that tie you to a specific FX broker?

I am looking at NInjaTrader at the moment. It looks like it is much more easier to develop strategies in this program. It is also easier to use the data from NInja with APS. I was told next upgrade will be able to read the NInja export format directly and no conversions will be required. But it is easy at this point to use the data just by making a global replacement of characters in WordPad:

APS Automatic Pattern Search - NinjaTraders

Alex

Hello ForexDude, MQL and Metatrader look interesting although the language appears complicated for someone without a computer science degree. Regardless, doesn't that tie you to a specific FX broker?

Alex

I could help with MQL...

The majority of FX brokers use MetaTrader so it's fair to say that you have a wide selection...

How do you forward test and why use a delay ?

Hi Derby1, are you asking how to do that in general or with APS?

With APS just use two different historical data files in two different directories. The files must have the same name and extension. Use one to search for patterns and the other with the out-of-sample data to back test. When you back test you can specify the file directory.

I like patterns with delay and I use then in conjunction with regular patterns as an indication of a stronger signal. For example, I get a regular signal to go long MSFT and if I get next day a signal with a delay of one bar I view it as a confirmation of the short term move. This works well quite often.

Alex

It is also easier to use the data from NInja with APS. I was told next upgrade will be able to read the NInja export format directly and no conversions will be required. But it is easy at this point to use the data just by making a global replacement of characters in WordPad:

APS Automatic Pattern Search - NinjaTraders

Alex

Hi Alex, happy new year to you! Any luck with intraday Forex and APS? I have also downloaded Ninja and converted data to APS text format. I got a few good patterns for 15 minute bar data and 20 to 30 pip stops.

Ron

I'm looking for a used copy of APS v4.8 or higher. Please email me at :

billchen90 -- at-- yahoo.com

thanks

Anyone here using APS v4.8? Have you tried running it on a dual core Vista PC?

Thanks