Automatic Pattern Search

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the tip. I plan on just doing straight indices like the Dow, S&P, Dax etc.
I have already put some of the formulae onto Metastock Expert charts. I find it useful to see the end result visually.
Which are you doing ? Do you use Metastock also ?
Glad to hear from you as you are some months ahead of me I think
Regards
Pat

For those that are interested, the makers of APS are having a sale which ends in a few days. You can see the details under the "purchase" section of thier website. MIght just be the time to jump on in.

damo

damo484 said:
For those that are interested, the makers of APS are having a sale which ends in a few days. You can see the details under the "purchase" section of their website. MIght just be the time to jump on in.

damo

damo, you can always get the sale price if you ask for it and say that you were away during the offer period. This is what I did and it worked.

Does anyone know if its true that there is a $175 licence fee annually for APS ?
I got someone trying to interest me in a patch ???????

Hi Pat, -- Maybe that someone is trying to sell you spyware or even something that will damage you PC. I just contacted Tradingpatterns.com and I was assured that anyone who has a lifetime license purchased before Jan. 26, 2007 will not be asked to pay an annual license fee. Anyways, I think that the scheme they have now is base don a two year license fee.

Do not worry. Tradingpatterns.com is a reliable company, past experience says their product does what is supposed to do and they keep their word, while their service is excellent.

Cheers -- Alex

alexander said:
Hi Pat, -- Maybe that someone is trying to sell you spyware or even something that will damage you PC. I just contacted Tradingpatterns.com and I was assured that anyone who has a lifetime license purchased before Jan. 26, 2007 will not be asked to pay an annual license fee. Anyways, I think that the scheme they have now is base don a two year license fee.

Do not worry. Tradingpatterns.com is a reliable company, past experience says their product does what is supposed to do and they keep their word, while their service is excellent.

Cheers -- Alex

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the above. I also contacted them and got the same answer. Since 20/11/2006 all the major indexes I have tested have made a profit except the Dax ( 2 stop outs ). Just a bit of draw-down I guess. Are you getting good results too ? Do you try it on shares, indexes or ?
regards
Pat

Pat494 said:
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the above. I also contacted them and got the same answer. Since 20/11/2006 all the major indexes I have tested have made a profit except the Dax ( 2 stop outs ). Just a bit of draw-down I guess. Are you getting good results too ? Do you try it on shares, indexes or ?
regards
Pat

Hi Pat, I started as a futures trader but I now trade mainly CFDs of US shares through a London broker and cash shares through a US broker. APS made the difference. I have now 50 trading systems in system tracking for the shares I trade. I'm in the process of getting some more. My method is fairly simple: After I update the data files I run system tracking and check for new positions. I open a new position only if I get two or three signals at the same time and I increase size if I get more, moving the stops at the same time to break even levels. This has worked for me well. After 10 years struggling with all sorts of ad-hoc methods and systems I can now say I trade systematically and making money.

Cheers -- Alex

Wow, $995 for 2 years. I guess I was one of the lucky ones... I just hope they keep their word.

damo484 said:
Wow, $995 for 2 years. I guess I was one of the lucky ones... I just hope they keep their word.

I got a new Dual 2 core PC and needed to transfer APS from the other machine. I must say I received excellent support service and the whole thing was done in a few hours. More importantly, this was done on a Saturday and for me it was the first time I received tech support during the weekend.

To the point: Tradingpatterns.com may be sold to another firm someone in a chat room told me. It may be a good idea then to install APS on a brand new and fast PC. That was what I've done since my trading now depends on APS 100%. I do not know what will happen if the company is sold, whether support will continue etc.

Cheers --- Alex

alexander said:
I do not know what will happen if the company is sold, whether support will continue etc.

Cheers --- Alex

Hello Alex, I purchased a license of the program recently and asked them about this. They said if they are bought out they will require the buyer to offer support to existing users for up to 3 years in the future. I guess in the meantime a new version from the new company will be released.

rsidivergence said:
Hello Alex, I purchased a license of the program recently and asked them about this. They said if they are bought out they will require the buyer to offer support to existing users for up to 3 years in the future. I guess in the meantime a new version from the new company will be released.

Rsi... They have been around for about 5 years and they are very responsive. Michael Harris has a good reputation. I would not worry about such issues.

Alex

Question

Can or does APS find a pattern (DJIA for instance) and then subsequently test this pattern on other entities ? ie if a pattern is found for the dow, does the software then allow/perform testing on other securities/indicies in order to confirm the validaty/accuracy of such a pattern ?

And by the way I am considering launching a competitive product to APS as I cannot believe what they charge for what the software does..... :confused:

The General said:
Can or does APS find a pattern (DJIA for instance) and then subsequently test this pattern on other entities ? ie if a pattern is found for the dow, does the software then allow/perform testing on other securities/indicies in order to confirm the validaty/accuracy of such a pattern ?

And by the way I am considering launching a competitive product to APS as I cannot believe what they charge for what the software does..... :confused:

General... that is easy to do. Just generate code for Tradestation or Metastock or Wealth-Lab and test the patterns for a number of symbols. This is the idea. I mean this is a white box system. The code becomes available to the user.

By the way, I thought you were a trader not a software developer. I prefer to buy software and spend my time trading rather thinking about ways to make money selling code.:)

Alex

The General said:

Good on you General if you can produce a better package at less cost. You should make a lot of customers,

Would it be of any interest if I were to post how many points the system has won or lost since Nov 2006 ??

Its criminal what some people charge for their systems. I bought into some very recently and was bloody mad when you see the content. And its not just the software/websites they offer but pdf's too.
You read some pdf's and they just point out the obvious, although most of the pdf's you could purchase online are available on usernet sites for free (if you know where to look).

We should start a review site with all the signal sites (and aliases) / software signal's / pdf's of systems etc …

Or is there already one available ?

And highlight what type of system the company/person is offering. ie a trending system, reversal signals, candle stick line-ups etc. If people could look at that before spending their cash ...

Pat494 said:
Good on you General if you can produce a better package at less cost. You should make a lot of customers

Techies do not understand always business. It is often better to try to concentrate on your own niche market rather than trying to rival a company that has been in business for a while. This is because they can afford to lower prices just as you enter the market and drive you out of business.

If General produces a better system I would buy it but I do not believe the market is large enough for this type of software. I also doubt it many people understand how to use such software in trading.

Alex

Pat494 said:
Good on you General if you can produce a better package at less cost. You should make a lot of customers,

Would it be of any interest if I were to post how many points the system has won or lost since Nov 2006 ??

Hello Pat, I looked at the APS product a couple of months ago. I tried to purchase a license two weeks ago but I was turned down -- believe it or not!

I then tried to get an explanation about the rejection but no details were offered.

Do you or anyone else know if there is a third party re-seller of this product? I googled but I could not find one.

Thanks in advance, John

johnpaterson said:
Hello Pat, I looked at the APS product a couple of months ago. I tried to purchase a license two weeks ago but I was turned down -- believe it or not!

I then tried to get an explanation about the rejection but no details were offered.

Do you or anyone else know if there is a third party re-seller of this product? I googled but I could not find one.

Thanks in advance, John

I have never heard of a vendor turning anyone down John. Something strange may be happening at APS ? Alex may know of something - he seems knowledgeable about APS