Are you doing God's Work?

• Yes, of course

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • No, of course not

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • I serve only Satan

Votes: 13 24.1%

• Total voters
everyone has that which they consider divine. that is their god. you can find your god by finding out what makes you angry or that for which you would be prepared to die.

in traditional theology the divine is greater than any image you can have about it. so when people do put images on it [old man in the sky, family, nation, race, honour, equality or whatnot] then people will say [if they are brave] its not just that image.

historically there is a traditional row about the use of images in theology [there have been wars about it]. some say ok others no because it leads to false beliefs.

the imposition of a particular image has more to do with power and ignorance than theology. Who sets the 'divine images' up these days but papers like the sun. which is the level of theology we have. Princess diana, celebrity, x factor big brother and all that. Those are the holy images and if you say something about that you are criticised as a snob or whatnot.

most do think that god [the highest term] means an old man in the sky but that is just an image some have chosen rather than anything that has a basis in theology. one might blame the artists for painting the divine in images [michealangelo etc] because now in an age devoid of philosophic training that image is common and unchallenged currency. But if people studied theology they would not be fooled by the images that people worship. Theology actually frees people from having such dogmatic closed minds about the nature of the divine.

and yes the 'beliefs about trading' match pretty well what goes on in theology. one might make 'a life of brian' or 'the search for the holy grail' film about trading.

Last edited:
who? :)

climate change is the new religion and carbon trading the new papal indulgences for sinners. it promises to make those part of the exchanges the richest people in the world. which makes it 'a very good religion' that needs constant promotion to ensure the money keeps rolling in.

Vice-Chairman of Rothschild: "Carbon trading must be globally regulated"
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=14294

Rothschild to become the carbon trading kings
http://seeker401.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/rothschild-stands-to-become-the-carbon-trading-kings/

David Mayer de Rothschild (born 25 August 1978) is a British adventurer, environmentalist[1] and head of Adventure Ecology, an expedition group raising awareness about climate change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Mayer_de_Rothschild

Climate change belief given same legal status as religion
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ea...lief-given-same-legal-status-as-religion.html

Last edited:
All I ask is that those who do not believe leave the rest of us in peace.

I'm sorry Split, I know you're not outspoken like some believers ( or some atheists for that matter ) but religion does make some pretty big claims.

So big that it begs scrutiny, and if it does not stand up to scrutiny then it begs ridicule.

There are not that many things that I am certain of in this life but one of them is, for those who believe in God, that God does not in any way communicate with any human on a one to one or personal level. The evidence for this is absolutely everywhere and in every religion possible.

Paul

Moses?

This is a joke? Right Atilla?

dd

I'm sorry Split, I know you're not outspoken like some believers ( or some atheists for that matter ) but religion does make some pretty big claims.

So big that it begs scrutiny, and if it does not stand up to scrutiny then it begs ridicule.

dd

I was trying to point out that God in scriptures has communicated with humans.

However, upon reflection if it was a bush on fire and not in person perhaps not. I don't know I'm confused. It all depends on ones angle. Maybe we are simply being too pedantic.

If someone says God created the Earth and the universe and we don't know what created the Earth and the universe then obviously we don't know God.

Similarly, if we know what created the Earth and the universe with all its habitants then we will have discovered God as the creator.

Why when god communicates with someone are they always in some out of the way place? Like moses had to go up the mountain, Mohammed had to go to his cave...all out of sight of anyone, before they got "god's word". hmm.

Kind of like how David Copperfield can vanish the statue of liberty, or walk through the great wall of china, because he's a real magician. he just has to, err, put this curtain up first.

dd

You don't have to be sorry, dd, just come to your own decisions and get on with life.

When I was at sea, at one time I was standing the 12-4 watch. That gives one a lot of thinking time in the middle of the ocean on a quiet night. Looking up at the stars in the night sky was an incredible sight and I came to the decision that all this did not just happen by itself.

That's all there is to my thinking. The bible is a book of folklore, told mouth to mouth for centuries before someone wrote it all down. Now that we can read it, it has a lot of wisdom in it but, also, a lot of unbelievable stuff. Anything that is written by man has to be taken with a big pinch of salt. You only have to read the various biographies of famous men to understand that each person has a different picture of the same thing. We have no idea what is in store for us.

No matter what BS I have read and listened to over a lifetime, I feel that something is behind the universe, but we simply have no clue.

So ends Split's philosophy. :smart:

When I was at sea, at one time I was standing the 12-4 watch. That gives one a lot of thinking time in the middle of the ocean on a quiet night. Looking up at the stars in the night sky was an incredible sight and I came to the decision that all this did not just happen by itself.

Why is it so implausible? Just because we're too intellectually dumb to comprehend it, doesn't mean it couldn't have just happened..........

Because my mind is too small to contemplate such a thing happening by itself. This is part of my argument. It doesn't matter, only to me, because know one knows.

What is important is that we understand that most of what we think we know was put to us by men before us, most of whom had their own fish to fry, and not by some Devine Being, as far as I know. We have, always, been hoodwinked into believing what is and is not right and doing what our leaders have taught us.

.......and where you and I differ is that I believe the concept of a divine being is yet another story put together by man.

Each to their own.:)

Great two books I can recommend are;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Earth-C...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258278105&sr=8-1 - I particularly like the last chapter in this book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Now-G...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258278143&sr=1-1

These two books eloquently explain what I had been struggling with for some time and really puts life in perspective - imo.

There was one mind exercise which I found shut down my mind totally! It goes like this.

1. Close your eyes
2. Clear your mind - sort of blank it zero... Pause for a while and then
3. Try and imagine what you are going to be thinking of next

Be interested to know what you guys think of, sort of what comes to your minds???

Ok so Blankfein comes out with an unbelivably silly comment yesterday, I can only assume he made it for lulz.

But when trading, do you think you are doing god's work?

Surely, if you believe in God, you must believe your actions are guided by Him, intended for His glory and reflect His way in all their aspects. Therefore, surely the question is tautological.

How can one be guided by His actions? I cannot say that God has ever indicated to me what He wants me to do. I am not a great believer in visions and things. I try to live as best I can and leave it at that but, certainly, some of what is done in the name of God and Allah are, in my opinion, very wicked. Trading may come into that category but there are worse things.

Splitlink, you are certainly very down-to-earth, practical and with your head screwed very firmly to your neck.

Can't really fault you but all I would say is that if "it" didn't happen all by itself then I might expect there to be a greater symmetry to things. For example the night sky might be arranged in a more orderly fashion rather than the apparently random scatterings of the stars, planets etc. If God did create it all, then he aint very tidy is he ?

Splitlink, you are certainly very down-to-earth, practical and with your head screwed very firmly to your neck.

Can't really fault you but all I would say is that if "it" didn't happen all by itself then I might expect there to be a greater symmetry to things. For example the night sky might be arranged in a more orderly fashion rather than the apparently random scatterings of the stars, planets etc. If God did create it all, then he aint very tidy is he ?

:D Perhaps, it's because He has a lot of room. There, again, we are giving God a human characteristic. Does He have to be tidy, to our standards?. Nature is not a tidy process, is it? It's all over the place and is only made tidy by human interference.

By "it", I suppose I meant Creation. The argument is whether we are part of Creation or a scientific blowup. That, I don't know. I can only believe and try to answer questions to my own satisfaction.

I noticed David Cameron has declared himself as a God head :innocent:

Nice timing and smart move I'd say.

When Labour lose the next election and boot out Gordon Brown it'll probably be Miliband that faces Cameron across the dispatch box as leader of the opposition.

Miliband is on record as saying he doesn't believe in God > > > advantage Cameron :devilish:

dd