Addendum: Why do so few succeed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barjon

Legendary member
SOCRATES said:
Dear Barjon,

I do hope on this occasion you will do us the courtesy of not liberally applying the fat finger and instead leaving this thread exactly as it is as a testament to the difficulties people encounter and are unwilling to confront if they are to convert failure into success by dint of sheer effort on three fronts.

Kind Regards.

Socrates

Well I did desist when you posted after I'd said:

Originally Posted by barjon
mmm, I see this has developed into something of a week-end knock-a-bout. I was tempted to do a mass cull but it's all fairly entertaining and in reasonably good spirit. And, I think , there is an underlying message that is pertinent to the topic of the thread - why do so few succeed.

Some of our more weighty contributors on T2W do have their differences (occasionally descending to insults, however politely they may be put) but it seems to me that they have one thing very much in common.

That commonality - and the underlying message pertininent to the topic - is that to become a successful trader is a voyage of discovery that must be made by the individual themselves.

good trading

....but you can see what happens. The whole thing degenerates into people snapping at your style and you snapping at their (perceived) mis-understanding of what you are getting at. There's no future in it other than to wind up the irritation levels.

Unless things move on constructively - maybe by some discussion on what you mean by merit, ability and conduct - I will finish it. In any event, I will delete all posts that are not properly on topic from now on.

jon

>>If Bertie can't bring anything to the table other than repeated bleats about how stupid and unworthy everybody is,
You pinpointed the problem.
Yet another prime example of it in Post #205.

Edit:
I just saved the page

dbphoenix said:
And yet it goes on and on and on, in thread after thread after thread. Perhaps if the moderators were to explain just what it is that they find so worthwhile in Bertie's babble, we could at least gain some insight as to why you allow it to continue. The insults don't bother any of you, the rudeness doesn't bother any of you -- just what does it take?

Report bad posts? Please. I've been that route, but it's like battling a horde of locusts with a rolled-up newspaper.

If Bertie can't bring anything to the table other than repeated bleats about how stupid and unworthy everybody is, then what, finally, EXACTLY, are the posting rules?

db

Forgive me for splitting this off from the original thread but I did say I was going to delete off topic posts. Nonetheless I don't want to lose the points you made so here it is.

In response:

1. It is not the job of moderators to determine whether posts are "worthwhile" or not - merely that they obey the rules.

2. Insults and rudeness are not acceptable and dealt with by whomsoever. It is always difficult, though, when things are near the line. To state directly that a named person is an "ignorant fool" is clearly both rude and insulting. To say that someone "has put an incorrect interpretation on what has been said" is ok.

Were it always as easy as that a moderator's life would be plain sailing.

3. Disruptions of thread topics are not on, but these often tend not to come from an original post but from reactions to it.

4. Keep banging the reported post button - they are always looked at and dealt with if there is clear contravention of the rules. As I said above that's not always easy to determine whether the line has been crossed.

jon

Edit: On second thought, skip it. Neither you nor any other moderator has yet to explain why it's okay for Bertie to insult beginners the way he does, and I find it difficult to believe that all of you have exactly the same blind spot, leading to the conclusion that his behavior is somehow perfectly okay.

So, okay.

Last edited:
dbphoenix said:
Edit: On second thought, skip it. Neither you nor any other moderator has yet to explain why it's okay for Bertie to insult beginners the way he does, and I find it difficult to believe that all of you have exactly the same blind spot, leading to the conclusion that his behavior is somehow perfectly okay.

So, okay.
And on second thoughts, beginners especially, but other members do not have the right to insult anyone either. I am sure many would not dare to adopt the attitudes they initiate or persist in doing should they have to do it face to face.

And while we are on the subject of what is acceptable and what is not, you are yourself a serial offender, particularly assuming familiarity on christian name terms like you take the liberty of doing to me, as I don't know you from Adam, and you are only a nick on these boards to me like everyone else for that matter unless they and I know each other personally, may I remind you.

And may I also take the opportunity to remind you, as you very well know, that I do not stand for any nonsense from anyone,so anyone who engages me in pointless argument for the sake of it gets more than he bargained for every time.

I assure you I am being helpful and constructive, because, should no one else bring these matters to your attention, I am here to do it.

Very Kind Regards.

dbphoenix said:

So, okay.

dbphoenix,

It might be something to do with being British. The "stiff upper lip" and all that. I see that Socrates didn't last long on a US site. They didn't tolerate his polite rudeness.

Even though I am British, it is something that fascinates me. There are many times when someone is in a high position and they are allowed to be abusive to others and get away with it. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have this British trait of tolerating these people. Probably why I can't work in a normal 9 to 5 job.

Last edited:
Bigbusiness said:
dbphoenix,

It might be something to do with being British. The "stiff upper lip" and all that. I see that Socrates didn't last long on a US site. They didn't tolerate his polite rudeness.

Even though I am British, it is something that fascinates me. There are many times when someone is in a high position and they are allowed to be abusive to others and get away with it. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have this British trait. Probably why I can't work in a normal 9 to 5 job.
I do not post on Elite because Elite is beyond salvation in the sense that the morass of ignorance to be found there is massive and irredeemable, with only very sporadic and few bright spots by comparison. These bright spots are overwhelmed by the general consensus, so I only visit to have a chuckle but not to post at all.

Incidentally if you visit Elite there is a thread there entitled Zero Sum Game???????? which exaclty illustrates the point I make above. It makes for very long but very entertaining reading.

SOCRATES said:
And on second thoughts, beginners especially, but other members do not have the right to insult anyone either. I am sure many would not dare to adopt the attitudes they initiate or persist in doing should they have to do it face to face.

And while we are on the subject of what is acceptable and what is not, you are yourself a serial offender, particularly assuming familiarity on christian name terms like you take the liberty of doing to me, as I don't know you from Adam, and you are only a nick on these boards to me like everyone else for that matter unless they and I know each other personally, may I remind you.

And may I also take the opportunity to remind you, as you very well know, that I do not stand for any nonsense from anyone,so anyone who engages me in pointless argument for the sake of it gets more than he bargained for every time.

I assure you I am being helpful and constructive, because, should no one else bring these matters to your attention, I am here to do it.

Very Kind Regards.

No one goes after you, Bertie, without your having gone after them first. If you didn't fail so miserably at "Conduct", you would enjoy the same respect that those who are truly helpful enjoy.

As for my using your first name, I suggest you get over it. I have far too much respect for the real Socrates to use his name in any connection with you. In short, you don't "Merit" the moniker. Why not call yourself something more fitting, such as Poseur?

And as for "Ability", we're all still waiting, but given your continuing inability to distinguish between sense and nonsense, the waiting will likely go on toward the unforeseeable future.

Being similarly helpful and constructive and not intending to be rude or insulting in any way . . . :D

dbphoenix said:
No one goes after you, Bertie, without your having gone after them first. If you didn't fail so miserably at "Conduct", you would enjoy the same respect that those who are truly helpful enjoy.

As for my using your first name, I suggest you get over it. I have far too much respect for the real Socrates to use his name in any connection with you. In short, you don't "Merit" the moniker. Why not call yourself something more fitting, such as Poseur?

And as for "Ability", we're all still waiting, but given your continuing inability to distinguish between sense and nonsense, the waiting will likely go on toward the unforeseeable future.

Being similarly helpful and constructive and not intending to be rude or insulting in any way . . . :D
How kind and thoughtful of you really.....:LOL: ....actually, reading the Zero Sum Game thread constantly reminded me of your antics, you really ought to make the effort to read it, you would find it very instructive and beneficial :cheesy:

Bigbusiness said:
dbphoenix,

It might be something to do with being British. The "stiff upper lip" and all that.

God, I hope not. Though the legacy of Neville Chamberlain does seem to live on at certain websites.

SOCRATES said:
How kind and thoughtful of you really.....:LOL: ....actually, reading the Zero Sum Game thread constantly reminded me of your antics, you really ought to make the effort to read it, you would find it very instructive and beneficial :cheesy:

Why thank you, Bertie. And there's a certain book by Dale Carnegie which you would do well to read. study. at length.

SOCRATES said:
I do not post on Elite because Elite is beyond salvation in the sense that the morass of ignorance to be found there is massive and irredeemable, with only very sporadic and few bright spots by comparison. These bright spots are overwhelmed by the general consensus, so I only visit to have a chuckle but not to post at all.

The only thing stopping you from posting elsewhere is FEAR.
With out mods in your corner, you get exposed for what you are... a fraud!

dbphoenix said:
Why thank you, Bertie. And there's a certain book by Norman Vincent Peale which you would do well to read. study. at length.
Not interested...If you have read it then I must not go near it, lest I become contaminated with some of your thinking, thank you very much.:rolleyes: ...That is all I need....really, but thank you all the same. Much appreciated.

sulong said:
The only thing stopping you from posting elsewhere is FEAR.
With out mods in your corner, you get exposed for what you are... a fraud!
Oh ! Hello !

You have come out of the woodwork now, have you ?

Fear does not come into it, just read my post above, number 7 to be precise.

Last edited:
SOCRATES said:
Oh ! Hello !

Fear does not come into it, just read my post above, number 7 to be precise.

Or you could just read the post I quoted.

To be precise, Fear is all of it, regardless of your (un)willingness to face it.

sulong said:
Or you could just read the post I quoted.

To be precise, Fear is all of it, regardless of your (un)willingness to face it.
Oh ! Go away ! Boring and tedious this is getting....... The funny thing is you follow DB around within minutes always, odd isn't it eh ? I am not the only one to notice this.

SOCRATES said:

But you did, and you failed.

The evidence is probably still there for all to see (and likely still here too)

Status
Not open for further replies.