Xp V W2k

samtron

Established member
My operating system at the moment is w2k
What advantages (if any) would XP give over w2k for trading purposes?
Is it worth upgrading?

In my view unless you are doing a clean install you may encounter problems upgrading from Windows 2000 to XP. For trading purposes there are no advantages to be had at this time that I know of but that may change as new software comes out that is designed to run on XP.

Paul

I use two computers for trading, one is using Win2000 Pro and the other XP Pro.
the main problem I have with using the win2K one is that it is an older computer with lower spec, that is the main drawback but that is why I have the other computer for the more power hungry programs.

I do not intend to upgrade the Win2K to XP

Racer said:
I use two computers for trading, one is using Win2000 Pro and the other XP Pro.
the main problem I have with using the win2K one is that it is an older computer with lower spec, that is the main drawback but that is why I have the other computer for the more power hungry programs.

I do not intend to upgrade the Win2K to XP

Racer, I have exactly the same set up. 2 lap tops, a new one with XP Pro and an old one with W2K Pro. HOWEVER, when I run my charting and trading software on the XP Pro laptop, it freezes. The old one works fine with exactly the same software (a message about the page file size being altered appears, to which I just hit "OK").

So, the old, slow loading W2K Pro enables me to trade every day. I will NEVER upgrade it.

I'm not technical enough to delve into the problem with the XP Pro further, increasing the RAM hasn't helped. I'm told it's supposed to increase the page file size automatically.

If I were you Samtron, I would stick with W2K, it seems to be the more robust of the two operating systems.

XP and Freezing

bluetipex said:
Racer, I have exactly the same set up. 2 lap tops, a new one with XP Pro and an old one with W2K Pro. HOWEVER, when I run my charting and trading software on the XP Pro laptop, it freezes. The old one works fine with exactly the same software (a message about the page file size being altered appears, to which I just hit "OK").

So, the old, slow loading W2K Pro enables me to trade every day. I will NEVER upgrade it.

I'm not technical enough to delve into the problem with the XP Pro further, increasing the RAM hasn't helped. I'm told it's supposed to increase the page file size automatically.

If I were you Samtron, I would stick with W2K, it seems to be the more robust of the two operating systems.

Had this problem with mine too, turned out to be the posh video card, had to turn off the various very trendy filters used to help with playing games, once it was back to basics worked fine. Same prob with PC too. hth

The major problem you will have with W2k is that MS is winding down upgrade support - there will be no more service packs.

There is also (and always has been) limited driver support for win2k, compared to XP, which may or may not be a problem for you.

I liked W2K a lot, but ultimately I converted when my machine got trashed - after I went to XP, I found that a number of things that had been causing me grief before (notably my ATI All-in-Wonder card's TV tuner) worked flawlessly.

XP Pro is very good, I'd say -
W2K is about the only MS OS I've not had much to do with, so I can only comment that XP Pro is a good one. I think many of the problems people have (and as XP ages the problems tend to be resolved) are down to what gets installed after the operating system...you can't buy a mouse mat without it comes with its own 'command centre' these days - resist the urge to install such junk and you'll largely avoid crippling the system.
I've got XP Pro running on 2 desktops and 2 laptops on my home Wifi network much of the time, the entire family happily pounding away like demented monkeys at the drop of a hat... I hardly ever have to sort any problems out.