xml files

Racer

I have got thousands and thousands of them in my temp IE folders taking up alot of space. When I run Virus check it now takes hours and hours to go through them all. I can't delete them using the normal method as it just locks up/goes to 100% processor.
How did I get them all and more importantly how do I get rid of them!

Racer said:
I have got thousands and thousands of them in my temp IE folders taking up alot of space. When I run Virus check it now takes hours and hours to go through them all. I can't delete them using the normal method as it just locks up/goes to 100% processor.
How did I get them all and more importantly how do I get rid of them!

Racer,

Tell me how you have tried to remove them, with a little more detail i may be able to help.

CarpeUK

Have tried deleting temp files by using Tools/internet options/delete files but that locks up.

Have gone to the directory and tried to delete them there, had a bit of luck deleting about 60Meg but now computer goes to 100% in explorer pane and won't display the folder contents.

Racer,

Try the following as well:

Go to Start /Programs/ Accessories/System Tools/ Disk Cleanup select C drive and then select the tab that says "More Options"

On there you will see an option to free up more disk space by cleaning up System Restore (which takes tons of unnecessary disk space up and slows down antivirus programs). You can delete all the system restore points except the most recent. This in itself will help.

Now if you want a little program that makes cleaning up nice and quick then go to this link and download disk cleaner which I use a lot and have found to be great for keeping disk space free.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/

I hope this helps

Paul

Trader333 it is a Win2000 system but I am also getting thousands on my WinXP computer as well

On Win 2000 files are in
C:\Windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5.
Have used that program you suggested and it helped get rid of quite a lot, but on that it doesn't list files that are shown in the above folder, only ones in C:\Windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

C:\Windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 has 35 folders all with numbers for file names. Each folder has about 10 or more MB in them, some have about 16,000 xml files

(The virus checking always slows to a crawl when it is checking these files, so that is why I want to get rid of them.. it now takes hours and hours to do a scan and that slows the computer down)

Last edited:
Racer said:
Trader333 it is a Win2000 system but I am also getting thousands on my WinXP computer as well

On Win 2000 files are in
C:\Windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5.
Have used that program you suggested and it helped get rid of quite a lot, but on that it doesn't list files that are shown in the above folder, only ones in C:\Windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

C:\Windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 has 35 folders all with numbers for file names. Each folder has about 10 or more MB in them, some have about 16,000 xml files

(The virus checking always slows to a crawl when it is checking these files, so that is why I want to get rid of them.. it now takes hours and hours to do a scan and that slows the computer down)

Racer

try going to Tools->Internet Options in IE, then on the General Tab look at the Temporary Internet Files - you can delete the files from there. You may also want to reduce the size of the cache IE keeps by clicking on Settings in the same area. I have reduced mine to 20 MB. By default IE will pick a percentage of your hard disk size and with large hard disks that size ends up being pretty large.

Hope this helps

Stew

theknifemac, I tried that but it kept locking up.

Got an autofix from PC pitstop for the IE cache cleanup.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/autofix.asp
A very small file that finds bits that IE normally won't delete.. which is where those xml files were hiding!
It took 50mins to clean it up!

Going over to Mozilla Firefox!

Last edited: