How to turn off Security Alert?

Anonymous

Established member
How do I turn off the security alert pop up that keeps popping up? It's very irritating, demanding subscription renewals etc.

I think that Virus Protector itself is the virus.

I remember once my neighbourhood had a break-in. Lots of noise, commotion. The burglars got away.

The next thing you know some strange men popped up knocking on everyones' doors recommending that we should pay them to fix extra locks on our doors!

Very strange that no one thought those strange men might be the burglars themselves.

I'd rather not mention.

The continual "reminder" to continue subcription is like an extortionist tactic: "Subscribe! Or else we will pop up until you subscribe!"

I am thinking of uninstalling it and get something else.

A new software lasts for about 1 year before a newer edition comes into the market. If I buy one and have to continue subscribing and subscribing for updates etc. for one year, I might as well use it just for one year, throw it away and get a new one, the latest edition with the latest features.

Is it safe to use free anti-virus software from a site like www.download.com ? Any experience with those free anti-virus softwares? I would rather get a free one that comes onto the market once in a while, throw it away and get another new one, than to buy one that keeps demanding continual subscriptions.

Last edited:
As a thought...

I don't personally have any AV software installed on my computer. I perfer use the free online virus scans. These are always upto date, and very easy to use.

The one I use -

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

I do this every week, along with a spyware sweep too. So far in my 8 yrs of using the net, I have never had any virus problems. Lucky I guess *shrug*

-A8

In my experience no one program protects or removes all viruses, trojans etc.

The following site has a very comprehensive collection of free as well as pay 'anti' and 'remover' programs and utilities:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

Altern8 said:
As a thought...

I don't personally have any AV software installed on my computer. I perfer use the free online virus scans. These are always upto date, and very easy to use.

The one I use -

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

I do this every week, along with a spyware sweep too. So far in my 8 yrs of using the net, I have never had any virus problems. Lucky I guess *shrug*

-A8

Hmm, you must be 'extremely lucky! I had a laptop and wasn't bothered about any viruses on it and when I did a scan got about 30 of them.

When I built a new computer I accidently connected to the internet when I opened my mail program before I had set up virus programs (MS outlook was set to download emails as soon as it was started) and got a virus instantly... so I formatted the hard drive again to make sure it was clean.

I would never have a computer connected to the internet without some sort of protection.. there are lots of free ones about so why risk it?