Bank Security Alert

SallyT

No doubt we've all seen the email alerts from our banks about bogus look-a-like emails requesting Passwords/ Account numbers etc. Like most people I have registered the fact that these people are about but never experienced the problem - until now!

Within the last week I have received 3 emails from these bogus sources, 2 were very good indeed and almost had me fooled, they look absolutely genuine. The 3rd was clearly a rank amateur.

What's really worrying for me is that all three emails came to one email address, totally unrelated to the email address my bank have. Add to this fact that one of these jokers knew I had applied to another bank online for a new credit card facility. How the heck did they do it?
Or was this just coincidence?

I have NOD 32 security, which appears to work fine. I also have Blackice firewall in place.

Can anyone shed some light on how this is being done and more importantly, how do I stop my security being circumvented? Can I beef up security somehow?

I'd like to report these attempts to access my accounts, anyone know who I contact apart from my own banks? Is there an Internet Security organisation somewhere who deal with such attempts?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards.

Sally.

Try the computer fraud squad at Scotland yard. They will have umpteen thousand of the things, but they might be able to help you out.
Also, the Black Ice is not that terrific. Have a look on here for security stuff.
Shields up.com The Steve Gibson site will tell you a few things about that. There are very good free walls about.

Sally,

If these scamsters really do know that you have applied for something then there is a possibility that you have been infected by a keylogging virus. I am not sure where you should go to get disinfected if this has happened but T2W member called Oatman certainly would do.

Paul

Paul,

Many thanks for your message.

Keylogging Virus - never heard of that one before. It doesn't sound too good though!

Maybe Oatman will see this and respond.

I've just been talking to the police, they won't take action unless I discover I've had cash removed from my accounts. Talk about shutting the the barn door after the horse bolted...........

Sally.

all the :police do these days is drink coffee and catch mortorists waste of time :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Make sure you have some antivirus software installed and also try out microsofts anti-spyware tool. Microsofts tool actually found five things on my work PC that is supposed to be behind a secure corporate firewall - go figure...!

SallyT said:
What's really worrying for me is that all three emails came to one email address, totally unrelated to the email address my bank have. Add to this fact that one of these jokers knew I had applied to another bank online for a new credit card facility. How the heck did they do it?
Or was this just coincidence?

It's more likely that it's just the phishing equivalent of a Ponzi scheme - if they send enough emails (and hundreds of millions in a mailshot is common), some of the recipients are bound to exactly match the circumstance and think that the sender is in possession of some private information.

I got a very good one "from" eBay recently - extremely authentic looking, with only a couple of giveaways - sent to an email address that wasn't the one I used at eBay, and somehow the "feel" wasn't quite right.

You should still make sure that your antivirus/spyware/firewall software is up to date, to ensure that you don't have a keylogger, but it sounds much more likely to me that it's a phishing email.

just got a security email alert from Halifax plc.
funny since I dont bank with them.

obviously, you shouldnt follow any instructions they give, or click on any links.
ideally, just delete without reading.

Banks will NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER ask for personal account details via an email, no matter how genuine the email or the website looks.

So NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER provide these details. Delete the email, alert your ISP or you bank if you wish, but never respond to it. Banks do not need to confirm your details or passwords or anything. If you need to discuss any of these matters the best thing is to arrange a private appointment.

Charlton

Nat West has rolled out a security gadjet that looks like a small calculator into which you must slide your switch card in.....Your switch card HAS to be used every time you go online banking......

This is in addition to the passwords etc that you may use.....

I understand that RBS are also going to roll out his feature soon...NAt West and RBS are bed fellows anyway.....

So evertime you use online banking, the site will throw up a digit....You must enter that digit on the gadjet you have and a code will be generated which you must then enter online when you use the online banking......

Had two in my inbox yesterday, LloysdsTSB and Royal Bank of Scotland, the RBS effort was pathetic, the Lloyd's one was actually very well done, good graphic detailing, well written and believable spiel, email address it was sent from almost convincing, the best bit sometimes can be the obligatory and indispensable link that these mails carry to trap the unwary or should that read the daft and stupid, this particular mails link went to somefreaks.com.

I do really feel sorry for people that get money stolen by hackers or get their credit card scammed...but freely giving them bank login details...doh!...:LOL:

Be careful out there;)

Had two in my inbox yesterday, LloysdsTSB and Royal Bank of Scotland, the RBS effort was pathetic, the Lloyd's one was actually very well done, good graphic detailing, well written and believable spiel, email address it was sent from almost convincing, the best bit sometimes can be the obligatory and indispensable link that these mails carry to trap the unwary or should that read the daft and stupid, this particular mails link went to somefreaks.com.

I do really feel sorry for people that get money stolen by hackers or get their credit card scammed...but freely giving them bank login details...doh!...:LOL:

Be careful out there;)

Never answer emails from banks---they always want something.

Split

Your switch card HAS to be used every time you go online banking......

Zambuck,

This is not my understanding from Natwest. You will only need to use the additional security measures if you want to set up a new payee etc This makes sense because it is the fraudulent setting up a new payee that usually empties your account. Fraudsters do not engage in other normal online transactions that can be carried out with your account.

Paul

I had an email from Halifax saying my account had been compromised and that I should log in immediately via the helpfully provided link to check my account and change my security details.

The give-away was that I dont have a halifax account.

Zambuck,

This is not my understanding from Natwest. You will only need to use the additional security measures if you want to set up a new payee etc This makes sense because it is the fraudulent setting up a new payee that usually empties your account. Fraudsters do not engage in other normal online transactions that can be carried out with your account.

Paul

Hi Paul

I am going by the explnation laflets etc....I have still not used the gadjet yet so don't know....I know you are right in that for new payee etc this gadjet mut be used....I will try this out at some stage....