Worldspreads

Well I can tell you Conor, that I was put on dealer referral on my very first trade with WS, and it was only £1/pip.

When I wanted to close out the trade for a profit I was unable to as the the area that you access open trades mysteriously froze. Price was reversing at this time:innocent:

If you look at my recent account history going back over the last month or so then you’ll see that I’ve still made several thousand pounds – all this money was made on DR. I still have trades which last only a few minutes although I also have plenty of trades which last considerably longer. Obviously your prices do not lag by a few minutes.

No question that DR does have an unfavourable impact on trading. If you went back over my trading record then you’d find that there are many occasions where trades are processed by your dealing staff at prices which do not reflect improvements in price which have occurred during the time which lapses during the DR process. Needless to say, normally a tick or more against my position results in a “please try again” message despite the fact that this movement occurred well after my order was submitted! Clearly if I’m still making money despite being on DR then I’m not cheating you on slow prices but I remain on DR. I’m more than happy for you to look into this and report back.

Why do you put up with this outrageous treatment? Why not simply move to IG or CMC?

Ok Conor I'll bite (good to see you post here btw).
I was very happy with the service I was getting from Worldspreads until I was put on permanent referral. I am a small fish with a small account, I never traded forex or any of your zero spread items. In fact I am a position trader so have no need for scalping or taking advantage of millisecond differences in pricing!
If you can give me a legitimate reason on why I was put on dealer referral then I might even come back. I tended to establish several new positions once or twice a week but I got bored of waiting constantly to open trades.
My account ID was 5002142.

The only deduction can be is that they hate winners, of any size. The zero spread is a gimmick used to entice the gullible into their lair. They want you to lose your money 'cos they see it as theirs when you place your trade and will do anything to keep giving it back..Why oh why you guys give these whoppers a second/third/fourth chance is baffling..

Hi Conor,

Thanks for dropping in again to answer some of the questions. Needless to say that there seems to be a few points which a few clients wish to debate. If I could add one or two points of my own…

You mention that there are people who are only interested trading on zero spreads if they have ‘an edge’. You define your interpretation of what that edge constitutes and imply that it is occasions when WS’s price is slightly slow in updating.

I would argue that letting any client trade on a zero spread is handing the client ‘value’ because the client will always be trading at a price no worse than the market and sometimes trading at a price which is better than the market. Obviously with a zero spread your price can only reflect the ‘bid’ or the ‘ask’ at any given time – if your quote happens to be representative of the bid (in the underlying) then any client who buys from WS is buying at a price not available anywhere else and as such you’re giving away at least half a pip by allowing a client to open a trade. If the same method is used to close a trade then you’re giving away at least half a pip (on average) again and thus you’ve given away one whole pip in value on a complete trade. Obviously a client cannot trade purely using that method but that methodology can be used and applied to another trading method to squeeze a bit more from it.

In terms of clients who are trying to pinch ‘a tick here and a tick there’… surely their trading patterns identify them? Trades lasting five seconds? Hundreds of trades per day? Personally I feel that I was put on ‘dealer referral’ (DR) purely because I was profitable. I’m more than happy to discuss matters via this thread. When I was placed on DR I actually phoned the dealing desk and spoke to someone there. The dealer was polite and we had a good, open and informative chat about things. I did however get the impression that things are slightly different to the things that you have outlined in your post. For instance I established that my account wasn’t necessarily considered to be an account which was taking advantage of any slow prices. In fact my trading tends to take place when markets are slightly less volatile where ‘market noise’ is around four or five pips in size. Instead, dealing staff were concerned that some of my trades lasted only a minute or two. It was the length of time which some of the trades lasted which seemed to be the issue. If you look at my recent account history going back over the last month or so then you’ll see that I’ve still made several thousand pounds – all this money was made on DR. I still have trades which last only a few minutes although I also have plenty of trades which last considerably longer. Obviously your prices do not lag by a few minutes.

No question that DR does have an unfavourable impact on trading. If you went back over my trading record then you’d find that there are many occasions where trades are processed by your dealing staff at prices which do not reflect improvements in price which have occurred during the time which lapses during the DR process. Needless to say, normally a tick or more against my position results in a “please try again” message despite the fact that this movement occurred well after my order was submitted! Clearly if I’m still making money despite being on DR then I’m not cheating you on slow prices but I remain on DR. I’m more than happy for you to look into this and report back.

One question which I would like answered is the following; Why is it necessary to have two checks regarding price? First check is made by your computer system a second or so after I have clicked the buy or sell button and checks to make sure that the price hasn’t moved during the order submission process. A second check is then made by dealing staff – surely, if acting fairly, the dealing staff are just double checking what the computer has already checked?

Finally, out of interest, what is wrong with the suggestion which I posted earlier in the thread; if someone places a trade which goes for DR then why not just automatically fill it at a better price if the price has moved favourably for the client during the DR process? The dealing staff would still be able to monitor what certain clients were doing and indeed process those clients manually but clients would be safe in the knowledge that any positive price movement which occurred during the DR delay would be passed on. Obviously price movements which did not favour the client would result in trade refusals just like they do now.

Wishes,
Steve.

This has all been said before, I think. Somehow the elephant in the room remains invisible to Worldpreads.

This has all been said before, I think. Somehow the elephant in the room remains invisible to Worldpreads.

In fairness to Conor he does appear to be taking the time to look into these issues. Let's see what he comes back with.

Steve.

In fairness to Conor he does appear to be taking the time to look into these issues. Let's see what he comes back with.

Steve.

Almost everyone who's tried WS since it started has run into the same problem. If you trade frequently and make a profit, you get put on dealer referral, which makes it difficult or impossible to carry on. Evidently, that's company policy, so what's the point in looking into it? I haven't tried zero spreads, but it's bound to make things worse.

Do NOT use World Spreads or the same silly out fit TwoWaySpread. They offer you zero spread to get you signed up then as soon as you make money they slow you down and put you on referral. As you know in volatile markets this is very dangerous. If you can get away with that they then put you back onto a normal account instead of a platinum account. These guys can't run a bath let alone a trading platform. I made money but soon as you do you are red flagged. They only want people who do not know what they are doing to trade. Although they say their are "no catches" to there promotional zero spreads this is not the case. They simply can NOT handle this type of offer. So if you sign up to trade make your money and run....!!! World Spreads or TwowaySpread is not the way forward. 2 of my friends also experienced exactly the same situation as me so its not a one off!!! Please can others post their experiences. So to summarise do NOT use this website for long-term trading as they will refer you and take your money!!!! You have been warned....!!!

Guys if nobody complain then this will happen again and again , if it happened to me i will complain to the FOS, FSA , and on forums as well , i am waiting for this to happen , but i dont have an account with WS or capitalspreads ...

Conor

@ Dealer referral excuses : We've heard it all before from Simon ( Capitalspreads ) , no new in your post .

I advice any client who thinks he is not treated fairly to complain to the financial Ombudsman Service , including those who are on a dealer referral and are affected by it .

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

Best Regards

Dear Tar,

I agree with your advice that anyone who thinks they have not been treated fairly should report their issue to the FOS - that is what they are there for.

I have not seen Simon's comments on this topic, but I will have a look for them. Given that WorldSpreads is the only firm offering Zero Spreads, and that this formed part of my explanation as to why some clients are put on Dealer Referral, it can't be accurate to say there is nothing new in my post.

Regards,

Conor Foley
CEO
WorldSpreads

Ok Conor I'll bite (good to see you post here btw).
I was very happy with the service I was getting from Worldspreads until I was put on permanent referral. I am a small fish with a small account, I never traded forex or any of your zero spread items. In fact I am a position trader so have no need for scalping or taking advantage of millisecond differences in pricing!
If you can give me a legitimate reason on why I was put on dealer referral then I might even come back. I tended to establish several new positions once or twice a week but I got bored of waiting constantly to open trades.
My account ID was 5002142.

Dear Geewcee,

Let me look in to this and revert to you. I am actually on holidays this week, but I will be back to you shortly.

Regards,

Conor Foley
CEO
WorldSpreads

Thanks for posting, but I find it hard to follow the reasoning here. If you offer zero spread on something like an index future, say US30, your price will represent the bid or the offer if the spread is its normal 1pt, or somewhere in the middle if the spread widens. The 'edge' you're talking about is therefore being given to the client by Worldspreads, which is the customer carrot, of course.
But then you say you have to weed out anyone who actually benefits from this edge. How does that make sense? Do you expect clients to sit watching their alleged high-speed price feeds waiting to click the trade button only when the WS price is going against them?

<< If any client doubts the integrity in the (zero spreads) prices we quote on Dealer Referral online, he/she is welcome to deal on zero spreads by telephone all day. >>

What would that prove? Dealing my telephone is about as quick as dealing by carrier pigeon or smoke signals, so a theoretical zero spread wouldn't be any help.

Please explain how your dealer referral policy squares with the parts of MiFID concerning discrimination and best execution.

Dear Ross,

Yes, there have been numerous instances of people who sit watching high-speed prices and only click the Trade button when our price is behind (even by nano-seconds) the exchange price. That's exactly what I'm saying.

I have invited you in to the office to view this for yourself, if you are in any doubt. Would you like to come in?

My comment is relation to Telephone Trading was intended to demonstrate that we will stand over Zero Spreads all day, as long as the price is accurate. I am aware that the 'process' of dealing by telephone is slower - I am simply making the point that we stand over Zero Spreads.

Our Dealer Referral Policy conforms perfectly with MiFID. We have hundreds of clients trading on Zero Spreads every day and there is no discrimination for clients who are not looking to take advantage of latency in internet pricing.

Regards,

Conor Foley
CEO
WorldSpreads.

WS order execution is rubbish. My account has the standard spreads so I don't benefit from the zero spread gimmick at all. I have run a trade by trade comparison with capital spreads and placed the same trade on both my WS and CS accounts. WS market orders are rejected all the time. CS no problems. If price moves too far then I just give up on trying to place the order with WS. On the occasions I do get an order through... when it's time to get out... same drama at the exit. On average I make about 10 pips less on the WS trade than I do on the CS trade. On losing trades its about 5-10 pips more with WS. You'll notice the slippage on losses are less... which I put down to the system not having a problem accepting a trade thats in a loss... and rejecting more times those that are in profit.

Dear Chubbardo,

I would like to investigate this for you. Could you please send me your Trade by Trade comparison to my e-mail address below, together with your Account Number and I will come back to you on this?

Regards,

Conor Foley
CEO
WorldSpreads

WS order execution is rubbish. My account has the standard spreads so I don't benefit from the zero spread gimmick at all. I have run a trade by trade comparison with capital spreads and placed the same trade on both my WS and CS accounts. WS market orders are rejected all the time. CS no problems. If price moves too far then I just give up on trying to place the order with WS. On the occasions I do get an order through... when it's time to get out... same drama at the exit. On average I make about 10 pips less on the WS trade than I do on the CS trade. On losing trades its about 5-10 pips more with WS. You'll notice the slippage on losses are less... which I put down to the system not having a problem accepting a trade thats in a loss... and rejecting more times those that are in profit.

Chubbardo,

My e-mail address is [email protected]

Regards,

Conor.

Hi Conor,

Thanks for dropping in again to answer some of the questions. Needless to say that there seems to be a few points which a few clients wish to debate. If I could add one or two points of my own…

You mention that there are people who are only interested trading on zero spreads if they have ‘an edge’. You define your interpretation of what that edge constitutes and imply that it is occasions when WS’s price is slightly slow in updating.

I would argue that letting any client trade on a zero spread is handing the client ‘value’ because the client will always be trading at a price no worse than the market and sometimes trading at a price which is better than the market. Obviously with a zero spread your price can only reflect the ‘bid’ or the ‘ask’ at any given time – if your quote happens to be representative of the bid (in the underlying) then any client who buys from WS is buying at a price not available anywhere else and as such you’re giving away at least half a pip by allowing a client to open a trade. If the same method is used to close a trade then you’re giving away at least half a pip (on average) again and thus you’ve given away one whole pip in value on a complete trade. Obviously a client cannot trade purely using that method but that methodology can be used and applied to another trading method to squeeze a bit more from it.

In terms of clients who are trying to pinch ‘a tick here and a tick there’… surely their trading patterns identify them? Trades lasting five seconds? Hundreds of trades per day? Personally I feel that I was put on ‘dealer referral’ (DR) purely because I was profitable. I’m more than happy to discuss matters via this thread. When I was placed on DR I actually phoned the dealing desk and spoke to someone there. The dealer was polite and we had a good, open and informative chat about things. I did however get the impression that things are slightly different to the things that you have outlined in your post. For instance I established that my account wasn’t necessarily considered to be an account which was taking advantage of any slow prices. In fact my trading tends to take place when markets are slightly less volatile where ‘market noise’ is around four or five pips in size. Instead, dealing staff were concerned that some of my trades lasted only a minute or two. It was the length of time which some of the trades lasted which seemed to be the issue. If you look at my recent account history going back over the last month or so then you’ll see that I’ve still made several thousand pounds – all this money was made on DR. I still have trades which last only a few minutes although I also have plenty of trades which last considerably longer. Obviously your prices do not lag by a few minutes.

One question which I would like answered is the following; Why is it necessary to have two checks regarding price? First check is made by your computer system a second or so after I have clicked the buy or sell button and checks to make sure that the price hasn’t moved during the order submission process. A second check is then made by dealing staff – surely, if acting fairly, the dealing staff are just double checking what the computer has already checked?

Finally, out of interest, what is wrong with the suggestion which I posted earlier in the thread; if someone places a trade which goes for DR then why not just automatically fill it at a better price if the price has moved favourably for the client during the DR process? The dealing staff would still be able to monitor what certain clients were doing and indeed process those clients manually but clients would be safe in the knowledge that any positive price movement which occurred during the DR delay would be passed on. Obviously price movements which did not favour the client would result in trade refusals just like they do now.

Wishes,
Steve.

Dear Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to set out your perspective. I am equally happy to debate it in this forum.

Would you mind sending me your Account number to [email protected] and I will discuss your account with the Traders.

The explanation given as to why you were put on Dealer Referral, at least on the surface, does sound unreasonable, but I will be able to assess that better when I speak to the Traders.

A couple of general points:

1. We don't close winning accounts. We never have. Like other offers of transparency that I have made on this Forum, I am happy to have this independently verified.

2. There seems to be a perception that when trades have moved against the client on Dealer Referral that they are immediately accepted, whereas those that have moved in favour of the client are rejected. There is no point in me even trying to respond to that, because I would rightly be accused of "Well, you would say that, wouldn't you?". Our core dealers have been together about 5 years now, and, I am aware of how conscious they are of this potential allegation. I may be wrong, but I genuinely do not believe that is how they behave and I can assure you there is no company policy to behave in that manner. In fact, I would like to think we are one of the fairer-minded companies in the industry. I will highlight this with them again.

I note your suggestion on DR and will raise it at the next Traders meeting.

Regards,

Conor Foley
CEO
WorldSpreads

Well I can tell you Conor, that I was put on dealer referral on my very first trade with WS, and it was only £1/pip.

When I wanted to close out the trade for a profit I was unable to as the the area that you access open trades mysteriously froze. Price was reversing at this time:innocent:

Dear DMT,

Can you please send me your Account number to [email protected]

With your agreement, I will report my findings on this matter here on the forum, naturally respecting your confidentiality.

Regards,

Conor Foley
CEO
WorldSpreads

The only deduction can be is that they hate winners, of any size. The zero spread is a gimmick used to entice the gullible into their lair. They want you to lose your money 'cos they see it as theirs when you place your trade and will do anything to keep giving it back..Why oh why you guys give these whoppers a second/third/fourth chance is baffling..

Dear Black Swan,

I have reported elsewhere on this thread that we do not close winners or deal with them any differently. Hundreds of clients deal on Zero Spreads on a daily basis, and they would all appear to be satisfied with it.

If you have an account at WorldSpreads and have experienced any difficulties with it, I would be happy to look in to this for you.

Regards,

Conor Foley
CEO
WorldSpreads

Almost everyone who's tried WS since it started has run into the same problem. If you trade frequently and make a profit, you get put on dealer referral, which makes it difficult or impossible to carry on. Evidently, that's company policy, so what's the point in looking into it? I haven't tried zero spreads, but it's bound to make things worse.

Dear Ross,

As I said in a previous response, I have no problem with criticism as long as it is factual and constructive.

It is not accurate to say that "almost everyone who's tried WS since it started has run in to the same problem". Yes, there have been a small number of complaints on this forum and I have offered to investigate these.

It is also not accurate to say that "If you trade frequently and make a profit, you get put on dealer referral." The evidence confirms this and I have invited you in to see this for yourself. Would you like to take up this offer? We will post the findings on this forum.

Regards,

Conor Foley
CEO
WorldSpreads

Do NOT use World Spreads or the same silly out fit TwoWaySpread. They offer you zero spread to get you signed up then as soon as you make money they slow you down and put you on referral. As you know in volatile markets this is very dangerous. If you can get away with that they then put you back onto a normal account instead of a platinum account. These guys can't run a bath let alone a trading platform. I made money but soon as you do you are red flagged. They only want people who do not know what they are doing to trade. Although they say their are "no catches" to there promotional zero spreads this is not the case. They simply can NOT handle this type of offer. So if you sign up to trade make your money and run....!!! World Spreads or TwowaySpread is not the way forward. 2 of my friends also experienced exactly the same situation as me so its not a one off!!! Please can others post their experiences. So to summarise do NOT use this website for long-term trading as they will refer you and take your money!!!! You have been warned....!!!

Dear Hillsie26,

Could you please send me your Account number to [email protected] and I will take a look at your account.

With your agreement, I will post my findings here, naturally respecting your confidentiality.

Regards,

Conor Foley
CEO
WorldSpreads

EDIT: Meant WS when i said CS

I was thinking of using CS for some day trading, when i enquired over the phone i spoke to 2 operators, the 2nd time i called to question i made a point and actually asked the operator "are there any restrictions to this offer?" and asked about quick trading, their reply was "there are no restrictions as such but you can't just open and close positions all the time or you may get a warning"

At this point as a short term trader i simply thought "ok waste of time" and to be honest whats the point in offering a service which sounds good, and then stopping certain trading styles which everywhere else will continue to allow? Kind of defeats the object really and in my opinion this is a marketing strategy we all know as carrot dangling. We know how spread betting works and if one of us does make a bit of profit there will always be 9 geography teachers who trade for kicks that end up losing, so its only fair that you should endeavour to keep the deal for anyone who (against the odds) actually ends up in profits.

I only spoke to CS for a few mins twice, so im not sure on what the restrictions actually are or if there are any that will actually effect anyone who chooses CS, so i would appreciate it Conor if you could answer this question about restrictions so we know where we stand, with it being so unclear many will stay away. The sound of being 'red flagged' because you make a profit isn't too good.

Cheers

Last edited:
I was thinking of using CS for some day trading, when i enquired over the phone i spoke to 2 operators, the 2nd time i called to question i made a point and actually asked the operator "are there any restrictions to this offer?" and asked about quick trading, their reply was "there are no restrictions as such but you can't just open and close positions all the time or you may get a warning"

At this point as a short term trader i simply thought "ok waste of time" and to be honest whats the point in offering a service which sounds good, and then stopping certain trading styles which everywhere else will continue to allow? Kind of defeats the object really and in my opinion this is a marketing strategy we all know as carrot dangling. We know how spread betting works and if one of us does make a bit of profit there will always be 9 geography teachers who trade for kicks that end up losing, so its only fair that you should endeavour to keep the deal for anyone who (against the odds) actually ends up in profits.

I only spoke to CS for a few mins twice, so im not sure on what the restrictions actually are or if there are any that will actually effect anyone who chooses CS, so i would appreciate it Conor if you could answer this question about restrictions so we know where we stand, with it being so unclear many will stay away. The sound of being 'red flagged' because you make a profit isn't too good.

Cheers

Dear Doomberg,

Naturally, I cannot comment on how CS operate, although, from all I hear anecdotally, they are a good company.

A general point I would make, however, is that we are the only company in the industry offering Zero Spreads, and hence we may not always be doing 'like for like' comparisons.

On your specific points, there are presently no restrictions on clients trading on Zero Spreads. The trades of all of our Zero Spreads clients are processed automatically, with no dealer intervention, unless we identify a client who is only interested in dealing on internet prices that are a nano-second behind the market/exchange prices.

We have hundreds of clients doing thousands of trades per day at Zero Spreads and there are no issues with these. Some of these clients make money, some of them lose money - none are treated any differently, regardless of whether they win or lose.

We have clients with 5 year winning track records, so there is no basis for saying that winning accounts are closed down.

I hope this clarifies the position, but please feel free to come back with other questions.

Regards,

Conor Foley
CEO
WorldSpreads.