Worldspreads free bet

What's your stop loss level for the FTSE monthly?

• Under 10 points

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20 points

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 20-30 points

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 30-50 points

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • >50 points

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Capital

Listening to Capital FM is a good way to cheer myself up when the market is down and I already bet it to go up. Flirty at 9:30 is a fun one to listen.

My trip to Dover earlier this week also 'unearthed' potential investment opportunities for the fundamental investors. I took my kids to the Tides swimming pool at Deal, just outside Dover and the Imagine soft play area in Folkestone. Both places are lovely. Just a bit crowded during the school break.

I decided to take advantage of Finspreads' 1p bet to test out some chart set ups. Their customer service people are quite helpful, but their online trading platform is hopeless. It displaying 'fetching up data' message without doing anything.

A quick look at the FTSE chart shows that people are so bullish that once the FTSE pulls back, it will have quite a way to fall.

Sleep well!

FTSE stop loss

I'ved decided to be more fluid with FTSE futures stop loss. In a trending up phase, it should be the lowest point of the swing low and the opposite is applied when FTSE reverses.

I'll still have to decide when to raise stop loss to the break even point. or beyond. Propably when a new lower low is established.

Baa

BAA did at one point move nearly 30 points towards the 900p price asked by shareholders for the takeover to happen. No surprise. It's a risky play, so return should be high enough. But a 10 pound bet on the up side would still have brought home at least £200 profit.

Hung,
I do rate Alpesh's seminar and not the free one's by the way! They are a little pricey but it is well worth it. I suppose experience cannot be bought for any price.

FTSE/ Dow on a small break out possibly, watch out for a small dip today Option expiry, possibly.....

Regards
Marvin

MarvinS said:
Hung,
I do rate Alpesh's seminar and not the free one's by the way! They are a little pricey but it is well worth it. I suppose experience cannot be bought for any price.

FTSE/ Dow on a small break out possibly, watch out for a small dip today Option expiry, possibly.....

Regards
Marvin

Thanks, Marvin. I agree that Alpesh's seminar is pricey indeed.

I am a big fan of Alan Farley and he'll be co-speakers at a seminar by T2W at the end of next month. I dared to ask him to let me come for free but he said T2W is in charge. If T2W drops the price to £300 then I'll take the offer.

Best,

Hung

Never heard of Alan Farley! Who is he the co-speaker at T2W with?
I was looking at BAA they seem very well bid at the moment - is it possible something will be released soon? I like trading BHP billiton made alot from some longs last year, but always thought at some point it would be worth shorting. Minings have done exceptionally well and oils. Scene alot of interest here with some of the small cap oil and minings. Especially Victory oil and gas and Empyraen energy. I notice alot of interest in these stocks on advfn.com - i was wondering whether there was any interest on T2W?

MarvinS said:
Never heard of Alan Farley! Who is he the co-speaker at T2W with?
I was looking at BAA they seem very well bid at the moment - is it possible something will be released soon? I like trading BHP billiton made alot from some longs last year, but always thought at some point it would be worth shorting. Minings have done exceptionally well and oils. Scene alot of interest here with some of the small cap oil and minings. Especially Victory oil and gas and Empyraen energy. I notice alot of interest in these stocks on advfn.com - i was wondering whether there was any interest on T2W?

The other one is Vadym Graifer and I have no clue who he is. Farley authored the book 'The Master Swing Trader' which is a very good read to someone like me. I do like swing trading.

Oil and gas and mining stocks are obviously fuelling the rise of the FTSE 100. The FT said mining stocks rose by 189 per cent since nearly 3 years ago while the figure for oil and gas stocks was 83 per cent. And the FTSE 100 has risen by more than 75 per cent since March, 2003.

Some of the impressive numbers, both up and down from FT Money.

% change in share price from Sept 1 2004 - Feb 8 2006

P&O 119.5%
BAE Systems 111.7
International Power 106.7
Persimmon 105.7
Antofagasta 102.1
Rio Tinto 99.9
Rolls-Royce 97.4
Xstrata 90.6
BHP Billiton 86.0
Shire 79.6

Vodafone -7.7
Kingfisher -19.2
Compass Group - 31.6

Cmc

I just 'discovered' that I still have 74 pounds in a CFD account with CMC. I opened it ages ago and did not make a single trade before transfering most of the funding back to my bank account. It will be moved to my spread betting account.

Contrary to many complaints I've heard, CMC people are really nice and courteous over the phone. But they don't offer credit which I think is a good thing, especially for novices. They do require you to deposit 200 pounds in a spread betting account as a minimum.

So I have more than enough tools necessary for this trade. Just trying to keep my patience for the next 'killing opportunity' to come my way.

Last edited:
MAN Group

I love hedge fund manager Man Group since I first heard of them a while ago when their shares traded at around 10 pounds or so. Today they're at a whopping 20 plus. The chart looks brilliant. I am looking for an opportunity to go long.

Looking for the next Google?

The Next Grand Slam Share

By Ed Bowsher (TMFArkle)
February 2, 2006

I assume that you, like everyone else and his/her Aunty Doris, would love to find the next GlaxoSmithKline (LSE: GSK). Thirty years ago, Glaxo traded at a split-adjusted 24p. Today the share price is around £14.50. That's a sixty-bagger for long-term investors, even before dividends! Put another way, £1,000 invested in GlaxoSmithKline in 1976 is worth £60,400 today.

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/Comment/2006/c060202b.htm?source=ioomftxt0010023

hungvir said:
The Next Grand Slam Share

By Ed Bowsher (TMFArkle)
February 2, 2006

I assume that you, like everyone else and his/her Aunty Doris, would love to find the next GlaxoSmithKline (LSE: GSK). Thirty years ago, Glaxo traded at a split-adjusted 24p. Today the share price is around £14.50. That's a sixty-bagger for long-term investors, even before dividends! Put another way, £1,000 invested in GlaxoSmithKline in 1976 is worth £60,400 today.

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/Comment/2006/c060202b.htm?source=ioomftxt0010023

Take a look at Dell Computers (NASDAQ : DELL). £10,000 invested in the early nineties would be worth how much? Even after the tech boom bust you'd be sat on a tide sum.

Steve.

stevespray said:
Take a look at Dell Computers (NASDAQ : DELL). £10,000 invested in the early nineties would be worth how much? Even after the tech boom bust you'd be sat on a tide sum.

Steve.

Of course this article is UK centric. If you talk about US stocks then you can always add Cisco, Microsoft and the lot. And who knows where Google's share price is going to lead us.

The trend is your friend...

If you believe it then now is as good a time as ever to go long the DOW. I don't mean buying blindly but waiting for a pull-back so you can get some bargain and have a decent stop loss.

Given the optimism (and greed?) on display at the moment, the Dow may break the 11200 mark next week. I still hope it will sit down to have a rest and I can catch up with it somehow. Now more than ever patience is a virtue that is in in need indeed.

Another takeover...

Lonmin admits bid talks after share surge
By Charlotte Moore (Filed: 18/02/2006)

Lonmin, the world's third largest platinum miner, has been forced to admit that it is in bid talks after heavy trading in the shares drove them up by a third.

Speculation that a bid was imminent saw the shares soar 34pc to £28.60 at one stage, but they fell back to close up 531p at £26.71, valuing the group at £3.8 billion.

The shares have

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/ma...d=242&sSheet=/portal/2006/02/18/ixportal.html

But I don't like the look of the chart, so I just stay away from this one.

And a few bullish quotes about the FTSE in general, also from the Daily Telegraph

According to consensus forecasts, the All-Share Index is trading at a multiple of 14 times 2005 earnings and, with earnings growth of over eight per cent expected this year, below 13 times 2006 earnings. Robert Parkes, UK equity strategist at HSBC, said this put the market multiple near a 10-year low. "We conclude that the FTSE 100 could make it to a new high of 7000 by the end of 2007."

..."The economy does not equal the stock market," he said. He agreed that the UK's sustainable growth rate is now "no more than two per cent" but added: "I don't expect slow growth to derail the corporate sector." His principal reason is that more than 60 per cent of the earnings of companies in the FTSE 100 index come from overseas.

50 years plus spread betting ahead of me :)

Retirement age 'will rise to 85'

The age of retirement should be raised to 85 by 2050 because of trends in life expectancy, a US biologist has said.

Shripad Tuljapurkar of Stanford University says anti-ageing advances could raise life expectancy by a year each year over the next two decades.

bbcnews.com's story

Since this thread has now developed away from its title into a pot pourri of interesting trading related items which are unrelated to the original topic and which are more appropriate to other threads and/or boards it is being closed.

jon

Status
Not open for further replies.