wireless router

ilovemybump

3 0
hiii everyone!! i need help!! im on virgin broadband, i have a modem with a massive long lead leading to my computer!! im in desperate need of a wireless router cos i keep tripping over the wire... the problem is i dont know which kind of router i need to buy, i have asked quite a few people but everyone i ask seems to be as clueless as me!! can someone please help me?? would be greatly appreciated!! :love:

KillPhil08

Experienced member
1,860 381
N type routers should cover your whole house. Although I had to buy a booster =/.

If you need to buy a booster aswell make sure that you use the same brand otherwise you'll experience problems since boosters aren't regulated.

But an N-type router should suffice for what you need, usually from £30+

ilovemybump

3 0
its a semi detached, not small but not big, my room is right above where the modem is, the person im buying it off was on pipex and she doesnt know if it will work with virgin? i know it has to be a cable router but i dont know if pipex is cable? im soooo confused!! lol

Vaco

2,134 269
pipex is adsl the router wont work. Virgin is the only cable provider in the uk everything else runs through the bt phone network.

Directional

Experienced member
1,992 251
arent modems and routers two different things? I have a broadband cable modem on my desk, which connects to the wi-fi router

raysor

Established member
508 12
arent modems and routers two different things? I have a broadband cable modem on my desk, which connects to the wi-fi router

A modem is used for an analogue telephone line. The modem MODulates and DEModulates the analogue signal to digital. This was called dial-up. On broadband the digital signal comes down the line and you need a filter on the end and then a router (which some people still call the modem). If you have a wired router you need to change it to a wireless router (your PC or laptop needs to have wireless built in or you can get a USB wireless receiver to plug in. If the broadband comes through cable you will probably need a special router. Check with your broadband supplier or on their website.

KillPhil08

Experienced member
1,860 381
pipex is adsl the router wont work. Virgin is the only cable provider in the uk everything else runs through the bt phone network.

Wrong. He is supplied with a modem from virgin(either webstar or the new black boxes probably) the output is an ethernet cable. It should work as long as the router has the right input and is not programmer just for o2. The poster should really search "How to setup a router" on google or phone virgin for free. This is really common practice...

Vaco

2,134 269
Wrong. He is supplied with a modem from virgin(either webstar or the new black boxes probably) the output is an ethernet cable. It should work as long as the router has the right input and is not programmer just for o2. The poster should really search "How to setup a router" on google or phone virgin for free. This is really common practice...

yes the modem comes from virgin but if you buy a wi-fi router it has to one specific to cable not an adsl one.

dcraig1

Experienced member
1,604 243

Yes, that is correct. If it's ethernet and TCP/IP you can plug it into any router - wireless included. Possibly a crossover ethernet cable is needed (just as if you were connecting two PCs via ethernet without a switch or router in between).

KillPhil08

Experienced member
1,860 381
Yes. As far as i'm concerned there are two possiblities.

Internet (Cable) > Cable modem > wireless router > home network

or

Internet (ADSL) > Modem > wireless router > home network /
Internet(ADSL) > 02 Wireless modem router (combined) > home network

I think your thinking about the types of modem not the type's of router....

Thnx craig

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock