Windows XP system restorer

Hi Jtrader,

It seems to me that you ought to install the recovery console as a start up option and run CHKDSK /R on your drives: C, D, E, etc.

CHKDSK will check for errors on your disk(s) and repair them, where it can. If it stops, then you’ll normally get BSOD and an error code or codes. You can find out about these here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/support/xpevnt.mspx

Hopefully, this should sort you out?

If not, then you’ll probably have to do a repair to your installation, which is another matter and it’s something where you’ll have to follow the instructions precisely.

The instruction for installing the Recovery Console are: (below):

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

To install the Recovery Console as a startup option
1. With Windows running, insert the Setup CD into your CD-ROM drive.
2. CLick Start and select Run.
3. Type the following where D: is the CD-ROM drive letter:
D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
4. Follow the instructions on the screen.
Notes
• To run the Recovery Console, restart your computer and select the Recovery Console option from the list of available operating systems.
• You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
• To see the commands available on the Recovery Console, type help at the at the console prompt.
• If your computer will not start, you can run the Recovery Console from the Setup CD. See Related Topics for information on running the Recovery Console when your computer will not start.

ANOTHER Windows XP install over the previous install has made deleted objects visible in the Recycle Bin. Another four hours spent getting the PC fully up to date.

From now on I will be EXTREMELY careful with regard to the software that goes on my PC, especially freeware and shareware.

Much better to clean install than go over.
You can create a new Restore Point just before you put any new stuff on.

Hi Oatman

what is a clean install? is it the same as a reformat?

how do i do this and does this mean losing everything i have installed on my pc and starting again?

Thanks

jtrader

Windows XP - firewall

Windows XP firewall v's Zone Alarm free firewall
Hello

I presently have both of the above firewalls operational on my PC.

Is the Windows XP firewall as good as the free Zone Alarm firewall?

Will using both firewalls at the same time prove beneficial by offering double protection? or could it be of no benefit - or worse still - negative benefit?

Thanks again

jtrader.

Hi
I've just installed XP SP2. Perviously I had the XP firewall installed and the free Zone Alarm firewall also installed. The installation wizard points out that you should turn off the XP firewall if you are using another firewall as well. This is because there can be conflict between the two, leading to reduced effectiveness.

Cheers
:)
jtrader

jtrader.........yes it sounds like a conflict, so just chose which one you wish ..........good luck