Windows XP system restorer

JTrader

Hello

When i tried doing a system restore with Windows XP home i got this error message -

"rstrui.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll"

Any ideas what the problem may be and how it may be solved?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

jtrader.

Thanks chaps

I think the problem arose as I re-installed windows XP over the top of the previous installation in order to repair any corrupt files. However, I did not do this the right way - as it removed all the windows updates that i've installed.

I've now fully updates XP and the original problem no longer exists.

If i need to re-install Windows XP in the future, without removing any Windows updates from my system, how do I do this?

Many thanks

jtrader.

Set a restore reference point for today then if you have to restore in future you will at least have all updates to todays date.

Paul

Themutual.net - reward tracker

Hi

problem 2
I am now having a problem with Themutual.net - reward tracker when i connect to or when i am on the internet.

It asks for an email address and password so it can keep track of 'prize points (?)'. I am presuming it is adware or spyware. I use adaware and it hasn't traced it, and a firewall.

Has anyone else come across this? how can i get rid of it?

problem 3
I just ran ad-aware 6 and it kept bringing up an error message entitled 'Ad-aware6: Ad-aware.exe - No Disk' saying 'There is no disk in the drive, please insert a disk into drive D:.'

It's all problems today. Could the adaware error message be a sign of a deeper underlying problem?

Thanks again

jtrader

Jtrader,
you can run a search for The mutual.net and delete all related files, or just fill in the email and password if you want ?
adware, seems to be looking for disk to load up, I assume that D: drive is your dvd/cd, you can delete this via control panel, add or remove programs etc. and then reinstal, or you can chose to ignore them all, nothing will happen apart from being annoying,t he adware is NOT a sign of a deeper underlying
problem, these have I expect been caused by reinstaling XP/ 2000, minor stuff, don't lose sleep !
...................................good luck

Thanks I'll give spybot 1.3 a go. Hopefully it will do the job of ad-aware and spywareblaster - within a single application.

I did try deleting "themutual.net" files from my PC, but the pop-up password screen keeps re-appearing when i double click on I.E. - I have just been pressing cancel.

Is it possible to detect any errors in a Windows XP installation? if so, how can i do this?

Many thanks

jtrader.

Last edited:
I tried deleting 'themutual' folder and i got an error messager saying that a couple of components within it could not be deleted. I deleted a few of the other components - so hopefully this may disable the whole thing.

The cheeky bu**ers!

Windows XP firewall v's Zone Alarm free firewall

Hello

I presently have both of the above firewalls operational on my PC.

Is the Windows XP firewall as good as the free Zone Alarm firewall?

Will using both firewalls at the same time prove beneficial by offering double protection? or could it be of no benefit - or worse still - negative benefit? :eek:

Thanks again

jtrader.

The XP firewall is pretty useless. It only checks incoming traffic. It shouldn't affect ZA though. The latest version of ZA had some antivirus added and problems were reported of conflicts with other AV software. If you see any conflicts just go back to the previous version.
No single programme picks everything up so it's a good idea to run both Ad-aware and Spybot. Keep them updated. What antivirus are you running?
To check your files, go to Start,Run and type sfc /scannow It will ask you to put in the XP disk.
Try a couple more scans
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
http://www.spywareinfo.com/xscan.php
Let us know

additonally to check your set up go to http://www.pcpitstop.com and run a free test.

Last edited:
If you want an earlier version of zonealarm that does not have the issues described by Oatman then let me know. In my view Zonealarm is excellent.

Paul

Hello

PROBLEM A
i tried running a trial version of "window washer" yesterday. I have now removed this software. Now my recycle bin doesn't function correctly. I delete an item and it is not visible in the recycle bin. I click on "restore all items" and it does not do this.
Any ideas as to how I can solve this?

Cheers

jtrader.

Last edited:
PROBLEM B
I am trying to install a program in safe mode - due to failed installation attempts. However, the program requires a minimum screen resolution of 800*600. When I try to increase the screen resolution to 800*600 in safe mode - it does not do anything. Is there any way that this change can be made?

Thanks

jtrader.

I have just managed to restore the items from the recycle bin, by right clicking in the bin and selecting undo delete.

It seems that items sent to my recycle bin become invisible. How can I make items within the recycle bin visible?

Thanks again

jtrader.