Windows XP - 'Disk Cleanup' operation

JTrader

Hi

when I go to 'my computer' - right click 'local disk C' - go to 'properties' - then click on 'disk cleanup' - it starts the process of 'compress old files' and three green bars appear along the progress bar. The progress then freezes.
The system still seems to be busy in some way as the red light on the front of my tower continues to light on and off. However, after leaving it for over an hour yesterday, the three bars in the progress bar didn't increase in numbers. I then stopped the proceedure.

I have re-installed XP home (over the top) and got my system up to date with all updates - but the problem persists.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Many thanks

jtrader :).

Jtrader -

I had this same problem a few weeks ago - it works OK now though (??!!!)

However, I found a way round it when it kept stalling :

In Windows XP:

Click 'Start'

Right-click 'disk clean-up'

Click 'properties'

Click 'find target'

In the new window , right click the icon ' CleanMgr'

Click 'OPEN'

Then DISK CLEAN UP proceeded as normal. For some reason just clicking the ulility from the start menu caused it to stall (in my case).

Again, it works fine all ways now. Strange.

Thanks DaveT

unfortunately your method has not made a difference, and the cleanup progress still stalls on three green bars. :(

Yet to try oatmans suggestion.

jtrader.

Thanks oatman

Have you tried any of the applications that you suggest? if so, did they were and were there any negative consequences?

but after a previous bad experience with the freeware application "window/s washer", I swore that i'd not install any other similar freeware PC fixing applications on my PC.

Cheers

jtrader.

Thanks everyone

my system is now completely up to date with XP home SP2 now installed. The disk cleanup now works and performs this operation in the normal amount of time.

I think the problem was caused by deleting items from the wrong temp folder on my C drive - be careful!

Cheers

jtrader.

Last edited: