Why trade?

I would not say I particulary like what I do , because I spend too much time behind computer and this has caused some family problems in the past..

If it was not because of the level of income/investment gains I would certainly NOT trade.. It has already cost me a divorce :) :) :) :) :) and two g/f :( :( :( in less that 3 years and loads of hair :eek: ( :eek: :eek:

LOL and this is a true story ..

Last edited:
Most my home work is done by scanners , but I have got to the habit of watching too much world news on CNBC, Al in all I spend around 7.30 hours trading US ( unless I take an Unwanted break ) 3 hours watching the pre market comments on CNBC and about an hour to sort out my next day's stocks.. All in all around 11 hours a day .. I sleep around 9 hours which leaves me with 4 hours for the G/F to give me ultimatums :eek: :eek: :eek:

PS:-- this is my loyal dog... inspector Cloueseau ( sorry Chief inspector ) after US market.. Does he look stressed to you ?

Remember this only a passport photo

Attachments

• my dog.doc
    194 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
trading is often more time consuming then some people would have you believe!!
i am personally doing eight five trading and five to eight worrying (about my overnight positions.)
i really must improve my intraday skills.??

why trade?
simple. its better then a proper job.

One/two,,

Please notice that although I trade for living but I have allocated 70% of my funds to a basket of profit making companies.. 20 % to swing and 10 % ONLY to intra day trading ..

The shorter the time frame the riskier the business... I wish my fellow traders would spend some time in risk analysis study than Cross overs of Dumb TA indicators..

I will certainly take this on board.
appreciate it.

i am still in relative infancy of this business 20 months and counting. although not struggling i'm still worrying. I'm pretty confident experience, skill and simple yet effective comments like the above will eventually have me prevail.

Last edited:
Grey1

i'm with you on this - its hard xxxxing work trading - though i would only trade intra-day

i suspect only gamblers really enjoy trading - and whilst all trading is gambling - those who make money in the markets are not gamblers - they are efffectivly the house - and thats a disciplined job like any other

I was attracted to trading by the prospect of being my own boss, flexible working hours, not relying on others and not getting dragged into the rat race, which for me are all good reasons.
One slight problem I have had with trading and peoples attitudes towards trading is that by trading I am not doing anything to benefit society, just myself or family (and perhaps my broker). How would other people respond to such an argument?

jamrest,

I have exactly the same problem as you. My background is in manufacturing and business management and I even have a MBA and a Fellowship in Management from Cranfield. The problem is that I just dont feel I am adding any value to the lives of others except where I try and help others on these boards which is probably why I post so much.

I dont know what the answer is but at some point I feel that my conscience will just get too much for me and I will have to go back into industry and add value in a more tangible way. On that day I will no doubt stop trading until I retire assuming I live that long.

Cheers

Paul

"I am not doing anything to benefit society, just myself or family (and perhaps my broker). How would other people respond to such an argument?"

Do something useful in addition to trading.
I do charity/voluntary work.
Help others. Give something back for free, no strings.
Be humble and get stuck in.
Get away from that screen when you don't really need to be there - somebody out there needs you.
Glenn

wow, traders with conscience!!! what next believable saints as politicians!!....................how many people in this world go out to work cos they want to improve (or add value to) the society.......probably less than 10%.

remember an old chinese saying which applies to all finance/trading etc:
"IF YOU EAT LIKE A BIRD DONT EXPECT TO **** LIKE AN ELEPHANT!!!!!"
in a nut shell what u put in ( not only monetarily but knowledge base wise) is what u shall get.
remember scaffoldings are erected on firm safe foundations
rgds
zarif

"I am a one in ten..............." Isnt that a song by UB40 ?

Glenn,

Yes a good point actually, sometimes the obvious answers are elusive.

Paul

It may be a naive view but, in some areas at least, one can choose to spend one's trading profits in a way which benefits society, e.g allocate a portion to charitable donations, buy environmentally/socially sound products like organic food from local suppliers , while avoiding consumption that clearly does not, e.g by spurning McDonalds or enormous gas guzzling MPVs (just a couple of cliched examples). Spread bettors especially can avoid personal income tax and hence their profits are not subject to the whims of government public spending, e.g on moral grey areas such as defence. We have a lot more choice in where our money goes than perhaps a more conventional worker does, although I appreciate that the spread betting companies pay betting tax "on our behalf" as it were.

The simple act of consumption, if done carefully, can benefit society IMHO.

I also like the fact that trading is a "clean" business. Apart from a smidgen of pollution caused by PC electricity consumption there are no unsavoury by-products from trading that I know of, which is certainly not true of many commercial businesses that one could work for.

Production is defined by Ayn Rand as "the application of reason to the problem of survival" which (if you agree) would suggest that to be a productive member of society one does not necessarily need to make tangible items or provide direct services to others.

And, as Glenn says, if our conscience piques, we can choose to spend our free time addressing issues that concern us.

frugi,

You said with regard to trading

...........there are no unsavoury by-products from trading that I know of,

I dont know about that as I am sure many traders have filled their pants with "unsavoury by-products" when things have not gone the way they had hoped.

Paul

"as Glenn says, if our conscience piques, we can choose to spend our free time addressing issues that concern us."

Erm .. I didn't quite say that Frugi. A slight change to your wording if I may.
"we can choose to spend our free time addressing issues that concern others "
That's my view anyway. It's not about us, it's about others.

If I do someone a favour, I want nothing back.
If they insist on doing something in return, I ask them to do someone else a favour. Spread it around.

Better to give than to receive.
Glenn

Glenn,

I totally agree with your sentiments and admit my wording was poor.
By "concern us" I meant issues in society that concern us not personal, selfish issues such as whether I want a new pair of expensive trainers this week.
I would say it is indeed an unusual person who, for instance, is entirely unconcerned by the plight of the homeless ("us") yet chooses to do voluntary work for the Big Issue ("others").
Our charitable acts are surely intrinsically linked with our own interpretation or emotional response to the misfortunes of others and I don't think this fact belittles their value at all.

Good on you for your honest, refreshing selfless attitude.

Can peeps here mention the charitable acts they do .... sounds really great - and it might get some of us doing them as well ....doing whatever suits us i suppose....

I'll tell you what I do if you like, but it doesn't matter really.

Depends on your skills/patience/ego.
Just get the Yellow Pages and look it up.
Charitable and Voluntary organisations.
Another world, mostly taken for granted or ignored.
Or just help out at your kids school, scout group, whatever.
Anything.
Glenn