Article Why Trade?

T2W Bot

Staff member
1,456 58
This article is essentially for anyone starting out in the markets, but the question of why one is trading is relevant at all times. The question as to what motivates the individual to start trading or continue trading is very important because many reasons are poor reasons and the so-called "motivators" can contain hidden traps.  Often people trade for a number of reasons, not just the obvious one of wanting to make money, and frequently these other reasons are at a sub-conscious level, and would not normally be disclosed if someone asked the question "Why do you trade?" Below is a list of motivators. This is designed to be fairly comprehensive and typically three or four from the list will apply to each individual. Clearly not all the motivators will apply to each trader. The list will briefly describe the motivator and then go on to explain the trap associated with it. It will be seen that nearly all the motivators could be regarded as bad reasons for trading, and that if...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Racer

SOCRATES

Veteren member
4,966 134
Robert, I am giving you ten points for this.

Everything you outline is perfectly correct. Sadly the great majority will feel offended, you will see. This is because they view all of this unjustifiably, not as priceless advice and wisdom, but as some sort of personal affront.

Perhaps the key phrase is contained in your last paragraph.

"of why people play the markets"

The great majority do not accept the reality of the mercilessness of market outcomes. They also believe all of it is a game, that anyone can play, just like that, and what is worse they view themselves as being right as a consequence of a lifetieme of experience in being able to fudge things.

They are not accustomed to this.

This is an unfamilar situation rather like a verdict being delivered before even the trial is heard and then, there is no appeal.

This is a huge shock to them.

I am slowly hardening to the idea that traders are born, and not made.

This is because the individual has to be possessed of the right character for this. It is a faculty that is disregarded and frequently not self discovered until well into the excercise.

Last edited:

neil

Legendary member
5,167 746
The road to riches ?

Top drawer.
One has only to read the greedy snorts in the posts of those seeking the holy grail of trading ,as the route to easy riches in the market, to see the truths in the "why trade?" posting. However, despite numerous posts telling them that trading is hard work we continue to see the greedy, stupid or ignorant flocking, like moths, around the snake oil merchants and purveyors of courses promising riches without effort from the markets. Hopefully, posters on T2W have prevented many new traders from becoming fodder for the hucksters and charlatans that continue to hide behind bogus queries etc in an attempt to appear genuine. But when you read the posts from some of these "potential" victims, and sense their stupidity intensified by their search for easy pickings, one has to resist the temptation to bang ones' head on the ******* wall ;)

Last edited:

jafa

20 0
I rarely feel motivated to comment on articles. This one is well worthy of comment and I can only echo those sentiments above.

10/10

Mayfly

Established member
514 28
Good, solid stuff!

Let's hope that everyone takes time out to read this! :)

Cheers

Mayfly

Tuffty

442 8
Only 10 points!! Rather mean I thought, I'd give it at least 90 points (out of 100).

My main motivation was Freedom. Now I'm tied to the markets with handcuffs!!!

Rognvald

Established member
916 15
I am surprised to find such honest and valuable information freely available.

Reactions: Racer

SOCRATES

Veteren member
4,966 134
Rognvald said:
I am surprised to find such honest and valuable information freely available.
Yes, but I guarantee that the great majority will not recognise it for what it really is, and again mistake jewels for pebbles with no more regard for all of this than complete philistines visiting an art gallery.

This is because these ideas are more than words.

Words are easy, to write, to read, to say.

It is the ideas and concepts for which words have to be found in order to be able to describe them with some form of distanced accuracy, it is these that the great majority fail to embrace and to ultimately enact.

And even if the ideas and concepts are accepted on a prima facie basis, the great majority find them excruciatingly difficult to enact, and that, is the problem.

For this reason I am no longer willing to teach or mentor.

Again I say that I am becoming more and more convinced that real traders are born, not made, the more I see on these boards and the more I hear and are told, the firmer my conviction.

For these reasons, amongst others, many pretend to aspire, but in reality very few allow themselves to ultimately succeed.

darktone

Veteren member
3,917 1,000
Id describe myself as an A & E man now. :)

But when i started out i was definately a B C D E F I kinda guy :eek:

hey up Rog
check out my profile.. id did it just for u ;) peace brother :)

SOCRATES

Veteren member
4,966 134
darktone said:
Id describe myself as an A & E man now. :)

But when i started out i was definately a B C D E F I kinda guy :eek:

hey up Rog
check out my profile.. id did it just for u ;) peace brother :)
A & E ? You haven't joined the ambulance service surely ?

RUDEBOY

Experienced member
1,157 6
Why Trade? These two words or eight letters can more or less sum it all up. Brilliant! An individual will define thier whole trading experience through this very short question. Only the few will ever appreciate the question for what it really is. These are the naturals, the 'gifted for trading' few. They rarely ask or rely on others, and they are prepared to do 'thier' 'own' homework. The few 'have a right', the majority try to 'deserve'. Why Trade?

Last edited:

bettertrader

3 0
I started trading because a very famous trader/teacher made it sound too easy. I paid quite a lot of moiney for that information and a short video. To be fair it got me started! Now I know its difficult and costly. I am pleased I am almost half way through this article's author's course and find it as good as promoted. The first free lesson is well worth taking.

I believe in multiple streams of income. A lot of gurus in any field advise concentration on one source of income usuall;y to benefit them. But review most wealthy self made types and many have property, share investments, internet and some type of business running (usually information products).

I hope to concentrate enough on the technical analysis to make it work, but by having other income at least I can fund my losses.