Why is trading difficult?

I am a beginner, my only experience was a one-off purchase of LBG shares when I worked for the company 2 years ago. The price had plummeted to 20p, now its at 75p. I thoroughly understand that this is an unusual return.

But, when I stumbled upon this forum, in many of the beginner threads I see many posters saying that trading profitably is extraordinarily difficult and takes a huge amount of hard work. However, looking at the FTSE, if you were to invest exactly 1 year ago, the index has gone up 17% since. This, along with typical theories of economic growth, suggests that the share prices of large companies, in general, go up.

So what is it, I ask, that makes it so difficult to be profitable? Are the trading fees so large that this general trend is outweighed? What is it that makes investing your savings in shares in a few large companies so difficult? Am I missing something obvious? Or just being too optimistic?

Thank you.

because hindsight trading always makes money ;)

N

. . .Therefore 90%+ of the members who raise questions etc with me will be treated very respectfully etc etc
Glad to hear it F'!

For what it's worth, my advice would be to ease off on listing the goals you've achieved and focus more on helping others to achieve theirs. That rather crass expression so favoured of the network marketing / MLM world springs to mind: 'people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care' - or something like that. Of course, this does still leave the question hanging in the air as to why anyone who has achieved the dizzying heights of success that you have would feel the need to impress us lot? But that's a rhetorical question which, in the fullness of time, will be answered by your actions rather than your words.
;)

As a matter of interest, what was the comp' that you won and who hosted it?
Cheers,
Tim.

Last edited:
Hi Tim

I have probably answered your two main questions in the other thread - both in the last day or so.

The main reason I do a intraday thread is for my own record - ie I can look back on it an see why I did or didn't take trades and most importantly the thread gets me focused and into my own particular trading zone. Its a type of discipline - putting what you are seeing and thinking in print along with price levels you might act upon at that particular time. (I do kick myself at times in the thread - and say I need time out or another coffee to get going again etc )

I need pressure of a certain level to help me perform - but too larger stake sizes gives me the palpitations and the sweaty hands - however, saying out open what you expect to happen makes you think twice before you just act on it. With me taking say 10 -20 trades a day - I need to be really focused as well as having time out in between . Cold figures just do not always paint the picture.

I do like others to participate as well and many times I like to hear a trader saying have you checked this pair out - and then it can lead to another trade etc - or at least I can say what I think if its not one for me at that time

The last competition I won was hosted by FX street . I have competed in demo competitions in the past and only 1 live money competition via Iron FX - but did not make the top 10.

In fact I don't think I have reached any real "dizzy height of success " as you might say - because if there are over one and half million retail forex traders in the world to even be in the top 5% means there are possibly 75 k traders world wide as good or better than me

I know personally of at least 5 other retail traders in just the UK better than me at trading for monies ( in my eyes) but were are the other 74995 ? - they have got to be somewhere - surely a few thousand here at T2W ??

Regards

F

I spent approx 2 years on another site - and during that time had 300+ member who befriended me - ( i befriended only about 15 people ) and followed me daily

I know personally of at least 5 other retail traders in just the UK better than me at trading for monies ( in my eyes) but were are the other 74995 ? - they have got to be somewhere - surely a few thousand here at T2W ??
:(

Hey F

20,000 views on your thread (impressive indeed and one to aspire to)......1000's of pips profit .....no losing days ......... not forgetting the 300+ Friends .......

and are you really sure those 5 Traders are better than you ? .......c'mon give yourself some credit and declare yourself the best Trader in the UK .....

after all this is what trading is all about......... right ?

if you want love and repect.... just buy a dog dude ........

dont bring your insecurities here or I fear the heavy duty crew will arrive soon to get on your case ......and you really dont want them on you .......you really dont :whistling

dont say i didnt give you a friendly warning.......

N

Hey !....301 friends now..... (y)

Last edited:
So this thread is now about Forexmospherian ?!

Glad to hear it F'!

For what it's worth, my advice would be to ease off on listing the goals you've achieved and focus more on helping others to achieve theirs. That rather crass expression so favoured of the network marketing / MLM world springs to mind: 'people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care' - or something like that. Of course, this does still leave the question hanging in the air as to why anyone who has achieved the dizzying heights of success that you have would feel the need to impress us lot? But that's a rhetorical question which, in the fullness of time, will be answered by your actions rather than your words.
;)

As a matter of interest, what was the comp' that you won and who hosted it?
Cheers,
Tim.

Tim,

Everywhere F goes, he will trash the thread. It's up to you, Management, to stop him.

I spent approx 2 years on another site - and during that time had 300+ member who befriended me - ( i befriended only about 15 people ) and followed me daily

:(

Hey F

20,000 views on your thread (impressive indeed and one to aspire to)......1000's of pips profit .....no losing days ......... not forgetting the 300+ Friends .......

and are you really sure those 5 Traders are better than you ? .......c'mon give yourself some credit and declare yourself the best Trader in the UK .....

after all this is what trading is all about......... right ?

if you want love and repect.... just buy a dog dude ........

dont bring your insecurities here or I fear the heavy duty crew will arrive soon to get on your case ......and you really dont want them on you .......you really dont :whistling

dont say i didnt give you a friendly warning.......

N

Hey !....301 friends now..... (y)

Hi N

Got the dog - and do I need forex trader friends - no

Sometimes the "truth" can really hurt other traders - who think they are good or accept the commercial world speel.

As I have already said in one of my comments the top 5% of retail traders could be a many as 75000 traders world wide . That could mean over 70k are better than me and have more experience etc

That's no problem - I still learn more every year - but noticing its not so much now as it was the first 7 years

Don't worry - I dont get wound up - its all water off a ducks back to me - what ever is thrown at me - meanwhile I will just carry on intraday trading - but I will be having days off over December and January - and I can imagine the first day I dont blog on my thread - some saying - that's it he's given up - he cannot hack it etc etc

Regards

F

Everywhere F goes, he will trash the thread. It's up to you, Management, to stop him.
Hi Split',
If a post breaches the Community Constitution (CC), then please use the red flag Report Post facility to bring it to the attention of the Mods. They will then deal with it. Remember, I am not a Mod and, therefore, not in a position to do anything to 'stop' him.

His initial post to this thread did lead it down an off-topic cul-de-sac and I'm guilty of perpetuating that by replying to it. However, as I say, anyone can report this to the Mods who will then edit or delete as they see fit.

The only way that I'm aware of to stop Forexmospherian (and others) from 'trashing' threads as you put it is to ban him. And the Mods will only do that if breaches the rules laid out in the CC. Besides that option, you could lobby Steve to override the Mods and ban him as a one-off - but he'll only go down that route in very extreme circumstances. As for me, I'm afraid that I have no magic powers to stop him or anyone else from posting. Sorry!
Tim.

Tim,

Hi Spitlink

What a ridiculous statement - please just ignore me if you seem to know more than me etc - and no I am not taking the p - you don't have to read any of my comments .

Have a great December

Regards

F

Hi Split',
If a post breaches the Community Constitution (CC), then please use the red flag Report Post facility to bring it to the attention of the Mods. They will then deal with it. Remember, I am not a Mod and, therefore, not in a position to do anything to 'stop' him.

His initial post to this thread did lead it down an off-topic cul-de-sac and I'm guilty of perpetuating that by replying to it. However, as I say, anyone can report this to the Mods who will then edit or delete as they see fit.

The only way that I'm aware of to stop Forexmospherian (and others) from 'trashing' threads as you put it is to ban him. And the Mods will only do that if breaches the rules laid out in the CC. Besides that option, you could lobby Steve to override the Mods and ban him as a one-off - but he'll only go down that route in very extreme circumstances. As for me, I'm afraid that I have no magic powers to stop him or anyone else from posting. Sorry!
Tim.

Sorry Tim - I have no intention of "trashing" any threads at all

You and any mods only have to tell me - please do not comment on any subject etc - I will abide with your wishes

I will be doing some of my own threads under the TA heading and for now - will only comment on my own thread - as to not offend any other members.

I just don't mind these guys winning with their comments - By giving respect to them - I hope they will then give me respect back ;-)

Regards

F

What a ridiculous statement
Actually F', in spite of my reply to Split', it's not ridiculous at all. There is a distinct pattern emerging that any thread you post to becomes about you. This is fine on your own thread, but it's far from fine across the site. Each thread should be about the topic in the thread title - not about any one individual member who posts to it. So, far from being ridiculous, Split's point is valid and germane to the overall health and well being of the site.
Tim.

Actually F', in spite of my reply to Split', it's not ridiculous at all. There is a distinct pattern emerging that any thread you post to becomes about you. This is fine on your own thread, but it's far from fine across the site. Each thread should be about the topic in the thread title - not about any one individual member who posts to it. So, far from being ridiculous, Split's point is valid and germane to the overall health and well being of the site.
Tim.

Sorry and apologise - I commented on how difficult it is too trade etc - and then it got sidelined by other traders questioning me etc

Will stay off all other threads other than my own for next month or two - that's no problem at all

Regards

F

Dear friends, Im not sure that difficulty of trading is something that bother people who trade everyday, because every type of work has its own difficulties and based on other 99% of jobs trading is super enjojable thing.