Why is this forum so dead?

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I think a lot of the experienced traders are still lurking in the background. They do still add valuable content to the site if they spot a subject close to their heart: when a newbie asks an interesting question for example or a politician does something unforgivable. But, I think they are reluctant to actually start new threads - maybe because 'There is nothing new under the sun'

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I think a lot of the experienced traders are still lurking in the background. They do still add valuable content to the site if they spot a subject close to their heart: when a newbie asks an interesting question for example or a politician does something unforgivable. But, I think they are reluctant to actually start new threads - maybe because 'There is nothing new under the sun'
I am sure there are some profitable traders posting good things here and there.

I find it a bit confusing not to be able to edit the postings that are longer that 24 hrs, especially the first post which starts the new thread, as the first posts is the one that sets the important features for the rest that follows in a given thread.

I mainly post on a private forum, and only when having a break from trading or after the session or during the weekend.
I do not post while trading.
Regrettably, there seems to be lethargy in either learning or sharing the useful insights. The useful thing about private forum is the fact that there are not many stupid comments or questions that are asked often by people who do not read the thread/s.
So I have provided many ingredients of my strategies, but there is no engagement from other traders to sharpen it and make it better. Because of that I wander if there is any point of spending much time posting either strategies, or charts with trades. Some of my older posts make me cringe, but it is a record of development - I hope!
I am very open to be criticised providing the criticism is likely to improve my strategy, good critical approach does not need to be hostile and can lead to substantial improvement/s. However there is not much of that, thankfully not even cynical crits, which I am likely to ignore:LOL:

I shall post from time to time, and see how it goes.

Yes the T2W has changed, but that is life.

My best wishes to all hard working traders,

2be

PS
An informal group of trading friends is desirable and useful. in that aspect any forum might be useful as the place of first contact.
I wander how useful it is to post detailed strats, trades or live calls on forums like T2W.
I have seen so many good attempts ending up badly, or at least rendered useless either by other "traders", system/s , time demand/s and so forth.
However for the committed researcher there is a great deal of good stuff on T2W and other forums, some several years old, but again one needs to allocate quality time accompanied with purpose and focus.

Last edited:
Just this morning I was going through quite a volume of old posts trying to find some interesting content from years ago when there was indeed quality posting on the boards. Seems a long time ago when you go through forum posts and see that you were posting on this site 14 years ago.

I joined in 2004 and whilst a very active forex trader at that time i didnt really start getting into contributions and threads till 2008 i think ....

perhaps we can get a vintage / archive thing going here regarding old school traders.........there were many who were very very good :smart:

N

Reactions: 2be
I think both Elitetrader and this board is dying. Seems most guys are using algo's these day and average retail or day trader is gone. I remember in the old days i would lurk this board and actively post on Elite trader - mostly too past time, was fun, no its just seems like a ghost town.

I think you are overdoing the algo stuff......a lot of old school discretionary traders out there making money ......a lot of my trading is still pretty discretionary

not sure what i takes to get good traders back and posting ....lets face it the only main reason is to share ideas and stratagies .......or to point newbies in right directions with input and advice

the more experienced traders we had here telling people the same basic stuff about what makes for a profitable trader - then the more they might listen to us :smart:

N

Reactions: 2be
the more experienced traders we had here telling people the same basic stuff about what makes for a profitable trader - then the more they might listen to us :smart

They did. And have. Over and over and over again. For years. But it isn't what novices want to hear, particularly with regards to the need for putting together a trading plan. What they want is a guaranteed winning set of indicators complete with settings. Or a guaranteed winning set of patterns. Preferably both.

I eventually got tired of the endless repetition and put it all in a book (there is also the problem of links leading nowhere and charts being deleted, usually due to software upgrades). There are also the closed threads I've put together: Trading Price and The Wyckoff Method. Novices can read them or not, ask questions or not, but the time I used to spend in repetition is better spent analyzing the market and making adjustments.

The information is there, most obviously in the First Steps forum. But novices can't be forced to read it. And if they don't, or won't, why should experienced traders spoon-feed them? The fault, dear Brutus, is not in the experienced trader's refusal to share but in the novice's reluctance to prepare. Without minimum preparation, the novice isn't going to understand what the experienced trader is willing to share anyway.

Like life - You will reap what you sow.
Why not try putting across something useful and stimulate others to reply.

I think you are overdoing the algo stuff......a lot of old school discretionary traders out there making money ......a lot of my trading is still pretty discretionary

not sure what i takes to get good traders back and posting ....lets face it the only main reason is to share ideas and stratagies .......or to point newbies in right directions with input and advice

the more experienced traders we had here telling people the same basic stuff about what makes for a profitable trader - then the more they might listen to us :smart:

N

Good post, I agree I do go over the top about the algo traders.

Also, regarding the new traders - in my experience right now most are fixated on crypto and often following YouTube gurus (shills).

Most traders go for spreadbetting as you can open an account in minutes. The veneer of credibility masks the massive losses traders usually incur. Trading is hard,and I trade options as it's the only level playing field. You can use your brains instead of a random guess based on a few squiggly lines. I doubt anyone here can run an account with a win rate of <50% and still make money. With options you don't have to be right to make money

Good post, I agree I do go over the top about the algo traders.

Also, regarding the new traders - in my experience right now most are fixated on crypto and often following YouTube gurus (shills).

True

I’ve been trading since the early 80’s .....seen all the fads and bubbles come and go .....it’s crypto at the moment .....hey perhaps tulips will make a comeback next :smart:

N

Most traders go for spreadbetting as you can open an account in minutes. The veneer of credibility masks the massive losses traders usually incur. Trading is hard,and I trade options as it's the only level playing field. You can use your brains instead of a random guess based on a few squiggly lines. I doubt anyone here can run an account with a win rate of <50% and still make money. With options you don't have to be right to make money

But you have to be right about volatility though ?

N

I've been trading a good few years and covered just about anything and everything where I thought I could find an edge.
Many years ago I used to post frequently on forums, including this one but I rarely look at them or read them now. Just came back here out of curiosity and still see some names I remember still posting which is in some way comforting and very cool of them. I have found a number of online resources absolutely key to progress in my own trading.
Some things have remained a constant for me. Focus and work ethic. You need to keep evolving if you want to remain in the game. I guess after surviving and somewhat thriving for over 20 years I figure I got it about right but it took me a few years to find out what worked for me, despite having started as a pro. It's very different when you do this for yourself.
Today I trade ETF's & Derivatives all algo with trade duration from intra-day to multi month and for the past 2 years crypto (amazing until this year, now in the toilet bowl). I am a stickler for research and development and still spend my days learning and developing and keeping up with macros. I never grew tired of it and I am sure that passion is why it ultimately worked out.
I think most traders fail because they have no real clue what they are doing when it comes to risk management and are trying to get rich quickly. Actually they are less traders and more gamblers. For the few it does pay off, I do know people who made small fortunes in a very short time on binary bets but I know more who blew up trying.
I can count on one hand the number of people I know who have been doing this for many years and have remained successful. Actually I have no people who I am in regular contact with that do what I do, so it is rather a solitary pursuit.
Friends have no idea and always tell me I am "retired" but I am much too young for that and they don't see the hours I still spend at the screens.

I only look at risk, reward is a distant prospect until it's in my account. Been doing well for years

I've been trading a good few years and covered just about anything and everything where I thought I could find an edge.
Many years ago I used to post frequently on forums, including this one but I rarely look at them or read them now. Just came back here out of curiosity and still see some names I remember still posting which is in some way comforting and very cool of them. I have found a number of online resources absolutely key to progress in my own trading.
Some things have remained a constant for me. Focus and work ethic. You need to keep evolving if you want to remain in the game. I guess after surviving and somewhat thriving for over 20 years I figure I got it about right but it took me a few years to find out what worked for me, despite having started as a pro. It's very different when you do this for yourself.
Today I trade ETF's & Derivatives all algo with trade duration from intra-day to multi month and for the past 2 years crypto (amazing until this year, now in the toilet bowl). I am a stickler for research and development and still spend my days learning and developing and keeping up with macros. I never grew tired of it and I am sure that passion is why it ultimately worked out.
I think most traders fail because they have no real clue what they are doing when it comes to risk management and are trying to get rich quickly. Actually they are less traders and more gamblers. For the few it does pay off, I do know people who made small fortunes in a very short time on binary bets but I know more who blew up trying.
I can count on one hand the number of people I know who have been doing this for many years and have remained successful. Actually I have no people who I am in regular contact with that do what I do, so it is rather a solitary pursuit.
Friends have no idea and always tell me I am "retired" but I am much too young for that and they don't see the hours I still spend at the screens.
I read that you were a professional commodities trader earlier in your career? Are there any good books you'd recommend to understand the fundamentals of the grains, livestock and softs markets? I trade them on just price but am keen to figure what on earth some of the news and data out of these markets actually means Lol Jargon like carryout, crush etc etc. I can sort of piece together bits and bobs of this but dont really have a good underlying understanding which Id like for curiosity if nothing else!