Why i think most traders fail? Change your ways. Now.

maybe he's the one twatting us! right, since nobody could be THAT stupid, we're being had

Put your handbags down gentlemen. Hatred for each other won't make you happy people. Better to go to bed at night without peeing each other off you'll both sleep better. Sometimes we all clash with certain characters and sometimes its because those characters are too similar to our own.

I've been trading for almost 2 years and I only realised I was crap after the first year. For me the best lessons are learnt losing money. You need to go to the depths to get your edge.

WOW! You lot take the cake!?!

Oh and BTW has anyone mentioned:
If you're not going to write it properly and you're not going to get a dictionary and you're not going to bother learning how to spell and you're too lazy to care, then write it "YOU ARE"!

If you're not going to write it properly and you're not going to get a dictionary and you're not going to bother learning how to spell and you're too lazy to care, then write it "YOU ARE"!

Your/you're is one of my pet peeves as well, but I'm not sure I'd get quite so angry about it?

I think your over-reacting.

Your/you're is one of my pet peeves as well, but I'm not sure I'd get quite so angry about it?

I think your over-reacting.

-----
...angry?!? What makes you say that? Oh and what's my 'over-reacting' anyway... or are you just taking the mickey?!?

I thought that I could write a fair letter before I started to write on forums. I have found that I make so many grammatical errors, myself, that I can no longer criticise others.

If you criticise, you must be very careful, yourself.

When I find criticism of writing errors, I ask myself if the poster is not trying to deviate the debate away from the real point. Usually, that is the case.

Personally, I'll gladly accept spelling errors in exchange for a good argument because, on forums such as these, posts are usually written very quickly while the answer is still fresh in the mind and, also, by those who do not use English as a first language.

I had to edit this post. I found that "grammatical" has two "m's". ;)

Last edited:
I thought that I could write a fair letter before I started to write on forums. I have found that I make so many grammatical errors, myself, that I can no longer criticise others.

If you criticise, you must be very careful, yourself.

When I find criticism of writing errors, I ask myself if the poster is not trying to deviate the debate away from the real point. Usually, that is the case.

Personally, I'll gladly accept spelling errors in exchange for a good argument because, on forums such as these, posts are usually written very quickly while the answer is still fresh in the mind and, also, by those who do not use English as a first language.

I had to edit this post. I found that "grammatical" has two "m's". ;)

I agree really, but occasionally get annoyed when it seems that someone has not taken the slightest trouble to hammer the sentences into some sort of grammatical and syntactic order. I know that my generation was not taught as much grammar as the previous one, and this process seems to have continued, leading to abominations such as "could of". As for spelling, well Firefox at least flags up the obvious spelling errors as you are typing, although it would not catch "your" versus "you're", but nevertheless, I find some still slip through, which I edit if I notice, but don't always notice. At one time, I used to try to avoid all such contractions, so that for example I would never write "didn't", but always write "did not", etc, and thus hope to avoid most of the ambiguity errors, but you end up sounding a bit stilted, and except in very formal writing, it's not worth it.

You are quite right about allowing for non-native users of English of course.
Those of us who are native English speakers are usually the laziest when it comes to learning other languages, and most forgetful that people on forums like these may not be writing in their first language.

This is a pointless debate, the horse has long since left the stable.

When I was 13, I and some friends petitioned our English teacher to teach us grammar. He eventually agreed, and set aside half an hour each week to teach the class. We covered basic stuff, like parts of speech (which no-one knew about, not having been taught it). After a few weeks, the headmaster got wind of this and put a stop to it (grammar was NOT on the syllabus).

This was over twenty years ago. Now it's heresy to even teach spelling, because that might restrict creative thought.

Result? Probably fewer than half the people in this country give a sh1t about spelling. I reckon 75 pct wouldn't know what an adverb is.

The grammar/spelling/syntax debate is over, we can't turn back the clock. It's a crying shame, because language is the cornerstone of thought, development and communication. However the UK has given up. Only those who go to good comprehensives, or private schools (it's notable that nearly all Labour MPs send their kids to private schools, the hypocrisy makes me want to vomit) will have any idea how to communicate.

Some spelling is now so poor it renders the sentence unintelligible. One example I saw recently was "floor" for "flaw".. e.g. "John Terry has his floors". You have to read it twice to interpret it.. this defeats the object of a clear language - by removing all the rules, you render it occasionally unusable.

Oh and by the way, anyone who thinks spelling/grammar are important is an "old git". In much the same way that anyone who thinks that Obama is not perfect is a "racist". You see how this works..

There is, definitely, an internet chat "speak". You'll never find me using "u c" and my opinion of those who do drops like lead whenever I see it.

I, also, stay clear of those who use "yeah" or "yep" . I suppose that it is meant to express nonchalance when talking of trades involving thousands and I assume that the user hasn't two pennies to rub together, himself. :D

@Meanreversion: I guess so.

About 10 years ago, my wife and I were attending an Italian evening class. It was the usual range of people of differing ages and backgrounds, but it was clear that the then under-30s or so, not only had little idea of grammar, they actively did not want to learn any.

The teacher (a cute little Italian thing of probably not much more than 30 herself) tried to get them to see that in order to learn a foreign language, they at least had to have some basics of English grammar before they could take on board the additional grammar (e.g. genders) needed for the new language. But they weren't having any. They just wanted to learn to speak and hear the language.

Now at one level I sympathised with them. When I was at school, learning foreign languages consisted of learning grammar in a dry, turgid way, lists of vocab, but rarely got a chance to speak it, and we certainly never heard native speakers speaking it. Later on the pendulum swung the other way, and to some extent that was good, but it went a bit too far. The baby got thrown out with the bathwater.

I think, those who follow rules to closely, are doomed to live in the wake of great men, forever!
: )
It's hard to imagine a four dimensional system, when living in three dimensions,....

I would hazard a guess that most people enter the arena for the prospect of making it "big" but someone who's been in the game long enough (NOT ME) will tell you what counts is the attitude to learn and understand.

Understanding what though? Nobody will ever understand or view the market with 100% certainty.

The best have rules for every area of thier trading and they do not waiver from these rules under any cicumstances.

Plan the trade, cover every area of the market and the trade with a plan, and just stick with it, right or wrong.

Then reflect.

A trader can not do anymore than this.

It's general but it's right. Any trader will only ever understand what they personally know. How will they understand more? So it's a case of working on what you know is right.

Learning more is better, but how does a trader know that the extra bit of learning isn't worth sh!t?

It's tough for the beginner.

The teacher (a cute little Italian thing of probably not much more than 30 herself) tried to get them to see that in order to learn a foreign language, they at least had to have some basics of English grammar before they could take on board the additional grammar (e.g. genders) needed for the new language. But they weren't having any. They just wanted to learn to speak and hear the language.

Rather reminiscent of those seeking the Holy Grail of trading ...... "I just need a few rules whereby I can spend 10 mins a day & get unbelievably rich" ... :LOL:

But to get down to the basics of foreign languages: you need only 2 phrases and so long as you know their translation in the major tongues you will be ok. The phrases are: (1) I'd like a beer please (2) my friend will pay.

Reminds me of when I used to work in Tokyo, we'd go out for beers after work. If it was just the two of us, we would ask for "futatsu bieru" which may or may not have meant "two beers". If there were four of us, we'd just ask for "futatsu futatsu bieru" and hold up four fingers.

I wasn't nearly as bad as the Aussie guy who'd been there a few years already. We walked into a restaurant once and they all shouted "irashimase" (welcome). Even I knew what that meant, but he turned to me and said "What ARE they saying?". He simply never bothered to find out.