Why did you decide to trade forex?

timsk

Legendary member
7,612 2,383
Timsk is right about forex being a marketing coup. Retail has no place trading forex, it is a money stream for the brokers. Why?
1. It has the least volatility of all financial products and hence the least opportunity.
Hi D70,
I'm gonna crack open a bottle of bubbly tonight - I've got something right at last!
:LOL:

However, I see that we contradict one another on the issue of volatility. My understanding was that there's lots of movement in Forex (not always obviously, but often as not) and, therefore, lots of opportunity to profit. The flip side being of course that there's an equally large opportunity to lose big time. But, as I say, I don't trade Forex, so I'm happy to stand corrected if I've got that wrong.
Tim.

Pat494

Legendary member
14,617 1,581
Hi D70,
I'm gonna crack open a bottle of bubbly tonight - I've got something right at last!

However, I see that we contradict one another on the issue of volatility. My understanding was that there's lots of movement in Forex (not always obviously, but often as not) and, therefore, lots of opportunity to profit. The flip side being of course that there's an equally large opportunity to lose big time. But, as I say, I don't trade Forex, so I'm happy to stand corrected if I've got that wrong.
Tim.

Steady there Tim. Right again ! Twice no less.

Reactions: timsk

wackypete2

Legendary member
10,229 2,055
Hi D70,

Tim.

Volatility in the forex market depends on what session you trade. Try trading the afternoon US session. Nearly zero volatility and no opportunity for 4-6 hours hours...even worse than the Asian session. If you want to see out of control volatility then take a stab at the 3x etf's!!

Peter

timsk

Legendary member
7,612 2,383
If you want to see out of control volatility then take a stab at the 3x etf's!!
Hi Peter,
Everything is relative, I guess. I've heard of these highly leveraged ETFs, but I don't know anything about them or of anyone who trades them.

I subscribe to StockCharts and I notice they feature quite prominently in the 'Public ChartLists' - a place for members to display their skills using the site's charts. Being a U.S. site with (mostly) U.S. members, I guess 3x ETFs are something that's taken off on your side of the pond - but are yet to be fully embraced over here?

Personally, extreme volatility suits me. Watching a trade for hours going nowhere does my head in!
Tim.

wackypete2

Legendary member
10,229 2,055
Hi Peter,
Everything is relative, I guess. I've heard of these highly leveraged ETFs, but I don't know anything about them or of anyone who trades them.

I subscribe to StockCharts and I notice they feature quite prominently in the 'Public ChartLists' - a place for members to display their skills using the site's charts. Being a U.S. site with (mostly) U.S. members, I guess 3x ETFs are something that's taken off on your side of the pond - but are yet to be fully embraced over here?

Personally, extreme volatility suits me. Watching a trade for hours going nowhere does my head in!
Tim.

I agree with you! The 3x ETFs are tough to trade though. With the extreme volatility comes price gaps even in the middle of the day. You need an iron stomach to trade them :)

Peter

D70

Established member
839 195
Hi D70,

Tim.

It's a misconeption. Probably brought about by all the ads. Forex has the least volatility. Just call up implied vol or historical vol "analysis" and you can see for yourself. Stocks and index futures put "forex" to shame in terms of opportunity. And I'm not just making it up. You can see it for yourself.

DitterPD

177 6
It's a misconeption. Probably brought about by all the ads. Forex has the least volatility. Just call up implied vol or historical vol "analysis" and you can see for yourself. Stocks and index futures put "forex" to shame in terms of opportunity. And I'm not just making it up. You can see it for yourself.

So you are saying Forex fluctuations are more like waves from passing by boat and stocks/futures fluctuations are more like 10 meter ocean crushers?

Rockfeller

106 5
I searched ways to make money online. Of course I was young and naive person who believed that forex is the easy way to go to get rich :)
Anyway I am happy that I decided to stick with forex market.

DitterPD

177 6
I searched ways to make money online. Of course I was young and naive person who believed that forex is the easy way to go to get rich :)
Anyway I am happy that I decided to stick with forex market.

What is your experience with Forex? I mean how long and successful are you here?

Rockfeller

106 5
What is your experience with Forex? I mean how long and successful are you here?

I started trading on forex market on 2009
I am not a full time trader I am also doing another job. 2-3 days per week have time to trade so it`s a good way to earn some extra cash.

DitterPD

177 6
I started trading on forex market on 2009
I am not a full time trader I am also doing another job. 2-3 days per week have time to trade so it`s a good way to earn some extra cash.

If not a secret, in what range is your profit from Forex (in total)?

jcvmw11

3 1
Replace Lost Income

In 1996 I lost my job due to illness. The Doctor told me to go home find something I can do at home, file for disability because I'l never work another regular job again end of quote.That floored my wife and I, I waited another 6 months before I followed his instructions hoping thing would change but they have not to this day. From then on I have tried every stay at home job one can think of and have spent a lot of money on 'em.

We eventually lost our home in Kingwood, Texas and moved out in the country. It was here the I discovered the forex market and have been studying it for several years and still losing money on it also but I do believe that this is an area I can and will make a living. I am now to the point the my losses are much less then what they use to be and now my gains are much more, so I see the worm is starting to turn for me.:clap:

rsh01

Experienced member
1,184 299
because the supply & demand theory (cannot remember the name of the guy who has load of vids, i have them linked on my other pc,,,,,sam sheldon) made perfect sense to me (it actually provided context which other markets dont necessarily provide), along with the PA which base itself around S&D. See the NBT site/threads for the main patterns i use to trade.

i also like thr 24hr/5.2 days......i do a lot of set & forget orders, so i work the fx mkt all the time.

Pat494

Legendary member
14,617 1,581
In 1996 I lost my job due to illness. The Doctor told me to go home find something I can do at home, file for disability because I'l never work another regular job again end of quote.That floored my wife and I, I waited another 6 months before I followed his instructions hoping thing would change but they have not to this day. From then on I have tried every stay at home job one can think of and have spent a lot of money on 'em.

We eventually lost our home in Kingwood, Texas and moved out in the country. It was here the I discovered the forex market and have been studying it for several years and still losing money on it also but I do believe that this is an area I can and will make a living. I am now to the point the my losses are much less then what they use to be and now my gains are much more, so I see the worm is starting to turn for me.:clap:

I know the feeling - good luck !!

DitterPD

177 6

Wow, touching story! Good luck to you, don't give up (y)

Can you share other home-based tries to earn money? It's interesting what there is and what you may not know.. Maybe you were doing something wrong and we will point it out to you ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock