which events or news cause the ftse, dow etc to move most?

Micky89

Hi guys.

Where can I find information on what time data is released which moves the indicies?

Which events or news do you find move the markets most?

What effect does the Nikkei have upon the European and abeyance indicies?

Thanks gents.

I've noticed that when the market gets moved by news/data, it tends more often than not to revert back to its original course eventually.

9/11 being a case in point.

While trading the news is a crap-shoot, fading a big move - once it's indicated exhaustion - seems like a viable play.

Cheers Pat.

Is there a resource which you use to show you all upcoming economic data releases? When data is released and it is better than expected, for example the unemployment figure is less than anticipated, does this always have a positive impact upon index price?

Cheers Pat.

Is there a resource which you use to show you all upcoming economic data releases? When data is released and it is better than expected, for example the unemployment figure is less than anticipated, does this always have a positive impact upon index price?

I pay no attention to the news Micky. I just watch the price.

I say it's a crap-shoot because even nominally good news may not be as good as was expected, and those expectations will already have been factored in, which is why price often seems to react conversely to the news. The connections between the various asset classes is complex and correlations which used to exist no longer do. Fortunately there are those out there who posses the computing power, brains and financial clout to work it all out for us and they let us know by moving the price.

I just watch the price.

Hi Micky89,
Where can I find information on what time data is released which moves the indices?
There are quite a few sites that post the times of scheduled news releases such as MarketWatch Economic Calendar. There are others that are less U.S centric - here's one aimed mainly at forex traders Forex Economic Calendar. A Google search should throw up other alternatives.

Which events or news do you find move the markets most?
Of the scheduled news releases, Non Farm Payrolls is probably the most influential. Of the unscheduled releases, as Pat has suggested already, black swan events like 9/11 have an immediate and massive impact.

What effect does the Nikkei have upon the European and abeyance indicies?
I can't answer that in respect of the Nikkei specifically, but this sticky ought to offer insight into indices in general and what influences their movement: Essentials Of 'Indices'

HTH,
Tim.

Thanks guys. I hate holding a position which then happens to coincide with a
release which happens to screw me over. I prefer to wait until they come out and then if price
moves against the trend I trade in order with the trend, price as moved back to its previous price and continued in line with the trend when I've traded this way

I use investing.com's economic calendar; it even has a little measure of how much volatility to expect from different events. Nonfarms, as well as big announcements like interest rate decisions have the greatest effect.