Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

FetteredChinos said:
after all that vino i hope you can swim... no chance of making that boat!

:cheesy:

Last year I fell asleep..... Thankfully a friend was a little more sober than I was and woke me up just in time for a mad dash to the boat. You chaps have it easy, I tell you, 4 inch heels are a sod when you've had too much wine!!!! :LOL:

Right, back to the real world.

Oil holding up just above $54. Non farm payrolls for May likely to be significantly below Aprils increase of 274,000. Non ISM manufacturing and average earnings all due before the bell.

General concensus seems to be that it should open lower and may retest 10520 although cash futures are only a couple of points below last nights close.

Charlie thinks that there will be a continuation of the gradual short term upward movement to 10600 for a few more days although he is hedging his bets by saying that there could be a minor pull back to 10460 - 10470 first.

To keep you all entertained:~

Clue : in and around computer, virtual abode. (11 letters)

First PM with correct solution is the winner of a Harley Davison Motorcylcle.

And "Willie" says the same as "Charlie", and exactly 11 hours ahead as well, by the way, I am reminded to tell you.

Last edited:
SOCRATES said:
And "Willie" says the same as "Charlie", and exactly 11 hours ahead as well, by the way, I am reminded to tell you.
"Anyone who thinks that they are important is usually just a pompous moron who can't deal with his own pathetic insignificance and the fact that what he does is meaningless and inconsequential"

William Thomas

Some things are easier to predict than the direction of the markets. I thought this post would be deleted and Socrates would be back, so I took a snapshot of it. If only the markets were as easy to predict :)

Attachments

• s.gif
    s.gif
    36.6 KB · Views: 462
Bigbusiness said:
Some things are easier to predict than the direction of the markets. I thought this post would be deleted and Socrates would be back, so I took a snapshot of it. If only the markets were as easy to predict :)

Lord of Cynicism, i salute you BB :)

I think that yesterday the Dow was waiting for todays data and traders were expecting it to rise today. Why? Because it closed up and at a very high price in the recent trend and it had tested down the days before. There was also a new highpoint in this rally on wednesday which only did not have a higher close because the oil price rose sharply. So I think it will at least touch 10600 today and may well close over it. Marketwatch also says the data reduced inflation risks.

Well, there you go !

Apples go to orchards as they say, because the flipper has submitted the first correct solution and therefore wins the prize.

Very Well Done Indeed. Delivery early Wednesday, and please, no racing !

Well thanks for the Harley but I will have to give it away because when it comes to motorbikes I'm completely incompetent

rrtech said:
I think that yesterday the Dow was waiting for todays data and traders were expecting it to rise today. Why? Because it closed up and at a very high price in the recent trend and it had tested down the days before. There was also a new highpoint in this rally on wednesday which only did not have a higher close because the oil price rose sharply. So I think it will at least touch 10600 today and may well close over it. Marketwatch also says the data reduced inflation risks.

Flip side could be that the indices have been pumped up to give a cushion in the event of lousy results.

more than a 100 down on the dow today...what do we reckon? it has taken so long to breach 1200, 10500, and 1550 on the Nas. this might just tip it for today? any news on volume>?

Gramlich said today he did not know what stage the U.S. central bank was at in its interest-rate rise cycle.

Financial markets were ruffled Wednesday when Dallas Fed President Richard Fisher used a baseball analogy to describe the Fed's rate-hike campaign, saying in a televised interview that the central bank was in the "eighth inning" of the game.

When asked by reporters about Fisher's comments, Gramlich told reporters: "I don't know what inning we're in."

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/03/news/economy/fed_gramlich.reut/index.htm

Ed Downs at signalwatch has support at 10420 if 10520 fails, anyone got a view ?
http://signalwatch.com/markets/markets-dow.asp

Tiiiiiimmmmmmbbbbbeeeerrrrrrrr!!!!

Can see this plunging down further and then kicking up in the last 30 mins.