Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

lemput said:
more than a 100 down on the dow today...what do we reckon? it has taken so long to breach 1200, 10500, and 1550 on the Nas. this might just tip it for today? any news on volume>?
I would be really be interested in any volume stats for today.
I went short the Dow, NDX, SPX and FTSE this morning to add to my Nikkei short from a couple of days ago.

Not a bad move hey, shorts are looking good.....

good job I added at the highs the other day.....

Come 10400 touch today.....

FetteredChinos said:
its setting up for a big short sell day IMHO.. possible target 10,400 before the close (double daily range from last nights close)

worringly the cycle turn i had for the FTSE on tuesday looked like an inversion, so that might be bullish into next week. yet the Dow and SP seemed to have eased off, potential confirming wednesday as a top..

mixed signals from the markets again...

fc

i hate to say i told you so....

:cheesy:

good weekend all, snooker-hall is calling me.

FC

SOCRATES said:
Has it occured to you that what you are in is a bull market ?
Even though there are intermittent falls, prices have been going up since Friday 13th May.
Racer - you're defying gravity like the rest of us. Obi Wan Kenobe will NOT be pleased !

Afternoon all, looks like I missed a nice morning.
Correction in the short term uptrend or resumption of a longer term downtrend?

Afternoon reversal anyone? :LOL:

Internals quite bearish, more so on Nasdaq for a change.
Total market volume as of now lagging the last two days slightly on both markets.

Racer said:
Mr Kondratieff is smiling though ;)
Ah but Greenspan thinks he can evade the cycle by printing money and keeping interest rates below neutral. Remember the 'housing bubble' just doesn't exist - it's just froth !

kriesau said:
Ah but Greenspan thinks he can evade the cycle by printing money and keeping interest rates below neutral. Remember the 'housing bubble' just doesn't exist - it's just froth !

Just delaying tactics.. I have got lots of patience :)

Internals remain firmly negative coming into the last hour,
Total volume continues to lag the last two days on both markets.

The $INDU has been in a bullish phase from the 3rd week of April up to mid May, since when it has been trading between aprox 10450-10560 or thereabouts. This could easily be a reversal of the prior (fairly short) downtrend, with the last 2 weeks being a consolidation before the upward move resumed. It's noticeable that the current consolidation is at a 50% retracement from the drop that ran from the start of March to the low on 20 April. If you call up a weekly chart the market has been in uptrend since late October 2004and the current week - nice short or not - still produced a higher high and higher low to add to the existing uptrend.
The monthly chart is, I would suggest, looking more like a consolidation in an uptrend than a bearish market, having bottomed at the end of October 2002. Today certainly is/was a nice drop, and the week itself has been down, but I think it's rather premature to suggest that those members who are describing the current market as bullish are idiots... we might well see it turn bearish but it hasn't done yet, and I've been bearish since about 2000 so I'd be more than happy to finally be proved right <g> ...

For what it's worth I'd call Wednesday's market bullish, and I'd also call the market since Oct 2002 bullish - we have a 5 week or so correction in March/April obviously but it's been largely uphill apart from that. Even today's 100 pt drop is still contained between the very obvious trading range limits the market has been in since mid-May...and the last time I checked a bear market actually went down, rather than hitting the lower end of the trading range before rebounding, which it seems to be doing now.

A good short move today - the opposite of what it did on Wednesday in fact, give or take a few points. It would be a good idea not to be too convinced armageddon was upon the market until it actually breaks downwards however, there's nothing yet to suggest it will.

Dave

RUDEBOY said:
Socs, there are two types of 'bull' market! Kris which one are you in? And dont say none, that will make you a liar? Anyway! Does anybody have room in thier account for the 48 pts i bagged today......thought not!
No, there are three.

Here is a full and detailed explanation:~

There is a bull market which is not resolved, that is, it has further to go.

There is a bull market which is resolved, that is, it is finished and has now become a serious bear maket.

And then there is another bull market alltogether which only ends when the individual concerned has a series of realisations that bring him to his senses. To a very large extent this is the market hidden vested interests promote very effectively in order to keep victims ignorant.

And I am very pleased you have bagged 48 points today, excellent, well done.

This is why we need more cannon fodder, rude and ignorant or whatever, it does not matter, more cannon fodder please. Because without cannon fodder, there would be no points to bag, only empty bags to point at, and that spoils the game, must not be allowed.

Joules MM1 said:
Rug up, sister.

Winter is comming on and much more than most folks have any idea about.

Have a great weekend Racer :p
Well said Joules - nice to see you back !

kriesau said:
Hmmm.....I was curious about that too since he was previously saying that the Dow might hit 10600.

Naturally no explanation has been forthcoming. I guess that he is really taking on board the lessons he has learned from his masterclasses with Albert.

I only asked because the most logical way to make 48 points today was on the short side, and since, unless I have mis-read an earlier post, you are short, I was wondering how it was concluded that you were the source of his gain.

I had not considered anyone repeatedly trading against the trend. Hard way to make $$

You also use 'Dave', he's good, but so transparent?
I for one am obviously on a different planet, as I truly haven't a clue what this remark means (obviously given my name I rather hope this is a reference to some other dave), but I HAVE managed to figure out that Rudeboy appears to dislike Kriseau (and vice versa), Kris isn't enamoured of Soc (and vice versa).... it's getting rather like some sort of soap opera. Isn't all this bickering a little beneath everyones dignity?

The Dow is currently, by my reckoning, in a sideways movement between the prices I previously stated, the most likely direction for the next leg would be up imo as a continuation of the prior trend looks more likely (to me) than a reversal. Anyone explain using bog standard TA why the $INDU chart should be regarded as particularly bearish?

Dave