Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

SOUR GRAPES ....

US warns it could sue Europe at the WTO over Airbus plea for government help
Date 19/5/2005 Source COM Related Stories N/A
Time 18:37

WASHINGTON (AFX) - The US government Thursday warned it could yet sue Europe at the WTO after European aircraft maker Airbus Industrie appealed for British government aid to help develop its A350 long-haul plane.

The request, which also angered Airbus's US arch-rival Boeing Co, came as the US government and the European Union battle to negotiate a deal on aircraft subsidies without going through the World Trade Organisation.

The office of the US Trade Representative (USTR) warned that the British government's decision on the request for A350 launch aid would be pivotal in the dispute.

'Our position has been clear: no new subsidies,' USTR spokeswoman Neena Moorjani told AFP.

'The preferred outcome is a negotiated agreement on the elimination of subsidies,' she said.

'However, if additional subsidies are committed, we have said that we will resume litigation at the WTO, and that remains our position.'

Earlier Thursday, Airbus said it had lodged a request with the British government for an unspecified amount of reimbursable launch aid for its A350 programme.

The A350 was approved in December 2004 by Airbus shareholders European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company, which owns 80 pct of the company, and BAE Systems, which has a 20 pct stake.

The twin-engine plane is aimed at competing with Boeing's planned fuel-efficient 787 Dreamliner, which the US company hopes will help it regain the top spot in global commercial aviation.

The A350 project has become a crucial battlefield in the fierce competition between Airbus and Boeing and the wider battle being waged by the United States and the European Union over aircraft subsidies.

The United States believes financial aid given to Airbus to launch new aircraft is illegal, while the Europeans accuse the US of subsidising Boeing through military contracts.

But the EU's executive commission said that public aid to help develop the A350 was legal under WTO rules, and that it still wanted a deal with the US over state aid for aircraft makers.

'In the view of the commission, the launch investment is WTO legal, and as things currently stand, it is part of the commercial landscape for aircraft development in the EU,' spokeswoman Francoise Le Bail said in Brussels.

Le Bail warned that any US action to bring the case before the WTO would be 'counterproductive'.

'We have always said we prefer to resolve the discussion bilaterally rather than going to the WTO,' she insisted.

gg-jit/ejp/jfr

kriesau said:
Every time it touches 10450 there is a quick volume spike to push it back up.
Be interested to see if it has a third shot at 10480 today or whether it starts to decline toward 10400 this afternoon.
"To push it" Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

roguetrader said:
DOW weekly chart

Strangely, with my end-of-day weekly Dow charts (using Sharescope), the same MAs you used are in completely different places. e.g. your 50 MA is closest to a 200 EMA on my chart! How is eSignal calculating MAs? Does it use the close price or the high/low?

:eek: :?:

SAN FRANCISCO (AFX) - DuPont Co. said Thursday that it has been handed a subpoena by a federal grand jury seeking a closer look at the chemicals it uses to make Teflon.

The subpoena from the Environmental Crimes Section of the Justice Department, asks DuPont to produce documents it already handed to the Environmental Protection Agency in an ongoing investigation of the same chemicals, which are suspected of causing birth defects.

user said:
It really needs to fail the 200sma. It can go above it but around that area it needs to fail...

Wait and see.....

Would have liked to short at around 10470-80 but missed it as I just popped out for 30 minutes. Come on creep back up.....

I'm now short but bulls are having their afternoon charge !

Bluewave said:
Strangely, with my end-of-day weekly Dow charts (using Sharescope), the same MAs you used are in completely different places. e.g. your 50 MA is closest to a 200 EMA on my chart! How is eSignal calculating MAs? Does it use the close price or the high/low?

:eek: :?:

Have no idea how they calculate 'em mate, as the saying goes "I dunno, I just drive it." :LOL:

I did pull up a weekly INDU on stockcharts.com and their weekly sma's are in the same place.

A.Victor Segno-- 1902

or R.Dimsdale Stocker ---1907

Aaron Martin Crane ----1905

springs to mind ??

May as well add Corinda ...

Last edited:
GM was main riser on Dow today.

'SAN FRANCISCO (AFX) - Two week's after Kirk Kerkorian announced his bid to more than double his stake in General Motors, the troubled automaker Thursday avoided taking any position on the billionaire's offer.

'GM will express no opinion and is neutral with respect to Tracinda Corp.'s tender offer to purchase up to 28 million shares of GM's common stock at a price of $31 per share,' the company said in a written statement after the market close.

GM shares finished up $1.14, or 3.6%, at $32.75, a level that surpasses Kerkorian's offer price.

General Motors had said it would review the bid from Tracinda, Kerkorian's investment group, respond no later than May 20.

Initially, Kerkorian's Tracinda, which currently owns 22 million shares, or 3.9%, of GM's outstanding shares, said it would try to bring its stake to 50 million shares, or 8.8% of the total.

The offer, unless extended, will expire on June 7.'

roguetrader said:
Have no idea how they calculate 'em mate, as the saying goes "I dunno, I just drive it." :LOL:

I did pull up a weekly INDU on stockcharts.com and their weekly sma's are in the same place.

You're right, I've just played about with the Stockcharts.com $Indu....ummm. All I can suppose is that with Sharescope, when the chart is changed to "weekly bars" the data used for moving averages is still being worked out over daily periods. This makes sense to me because moving averages are usually known by their average period, i.e. 20-day SMA, 50-day EMA.

To be honest I am unsure of how useful it is to calculate the weekly MAs in weekly charts, because one usually trades on a daily basis (or checks charts daily) rather than weekly. I hesitate to say eSignal/Stockcharts weekly charts are incorrect for showing weekly MAs, but there sure is a big difference between them and daily MAs!

An interesting juncture. I don't trade daily at all but imagine that had I entered on the usual 123 TTE setup (which I prolly would have done on a 4 min chart, given the capitulation bar on 15 Apr, if u see what I mean) I would seriously partial out here, leaving just a wee portion of my initial position to run, with the stop trailed just below today's bar around 10425.

50% Fib, 5 waves up, short bar today on reasonable volume (thus possbily some significant supply here or the bar would be longer with higher close), top of channel that could be a big bear flag, 4 days up in a row.

Heart says retrace tomorrow and see if it breaks 10385-10400 to the downside in which case I'd be looking for the channel bottom as next major support. If a retrace holds as a test/shakeout then 10600-625 maybe for s/t target?

Could always be a false BO first mind ;)

I've no idea,as ever :)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 155
Dear All,
Jill intends to get up early today and do some work downstairs before her dogs expire. She hopes John will be more cheerful when he returns in the afternoon.

For those of you in the know this is a code that will predict the movement of the Dow index today.
For those of you who cannot decode the message, I will tell you what it meant at 10 o'clock tonight.
Happy trading.

How about we get back on track?

With the narrowest range yesterday since 11/04/05 on the S&P & DJ (which was the start of a 400 point drop for that week) & no significant reports today. Unless Joules knows of any? Or George W or Al decide to make anymore statements this week, it could be interesting to see what’s going to direct the market!

JFK said:

With the narrowest range yesterday since 11/04/05 on the S&P & DJ (which was the start of a 400 point drop for that week) & no significant reports today. Unless Joules knows of any? Or George W or Al decide to make anymore statements this week, it could be interesting to see what’s going to direct the market!
With absolutely no wish to disappoint I can guarantee that none of the above will direct the market, it never has and never will. I appreciate there are people out there that believe that what George W has to say will effect the markets, he may just be being used as a stooge.
The markets today SMI dropping to 6000 possibly sticking around this. Ill come back on DJ later.

JFK said:

Well there are two events that could affect the markets.

1. It's a triple witching day today.
2. Alan Greenspan is making a speech on Energy to the Economic Club of New York at 12.30pm EST today.