Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

Wow forget that theory Naz has now given back the entire rally from Monday and may even close below 50 day sma, not what you'd call bullish

Ending near the lows for two days after a breakout is very poor! Low volumes also and institutional selling near the end of the last two sessions is making me think if we will actually see this 11,000 number at all.

O K well there is the 900.... figured today as 1 day down, but the picture looks different now as the 900 was E O D still think 860/70 will be seen. Failure of sustained break through 940 this week and the game is up for the bulls. All I M H O :rolleyes:

Lost 24points on the long today. Was willing to hold position till the end as the trading day was pretty inactive.

Not too bad considering the moves I had on the sterling and oil positions.

Expect markets to decline tomorrow and Thursday and then a rise on Friday.

Will be looking to enter possible to shorts as a another test of 10900 seems imminent.

It would be much appreciated if members that read or participate in this thread could answer the poll set up by myself asking if the Dow Jones will close above the 11,000 mark.

The purpose of this poll is to find out the general consesnsus amongst T2W members. (public feeling)

Again much appreciated if members would participate and not just view the results.

Kind Regards
User

user said:
It would be much appreciated if members that read or participate in this thread could answer the poll set up by myself asking if the Dow Jones will close above the 11,000 mark.

The purpose of this poll is to find out the general consesnsus amongst T2W members. (public feeling)

Again much appreciated if members would participate and not just view the results.

Kind Regards
User
I am bullish. However, since I daytrade/swingtrade short and long sides it really makes no difference to me whether it is a bear or a bull market. Nevertheless, I see the Dow breaking through 11,000 within the next 3 weeks and closing above 11,000 before the year ends. Possibly breaking thru 12,000 on the high end before the year is over with.

PT

Thanks for your view. Please would you be kind enough to submit your answer in the poll.

Thank you.

I wouldn't like to pin point, but i'd guess that if it doesn't touch or go through 11000 by the end of this week, it may slide for a short while( general, i know, when it stops sliding, thats how many days)?

user said:
Thanks for your view. Please would you be kind enough to submit your answer in the poll.

Thank you.
I looked at the poll. Does the poll mean yes or no to close above 11,000 before the year ends??

Yes before the end of the year.

Maybe should have clarified it a little better.

I really haven't got a clue! After the breakout on friday I thought we would see 11100. Now though after seeing Mondays and Tuesday's closes near the lows I am feeling cautious.

Thought we would move higher short term and then correct back lower. Not so sure if we will see this close above 11,000 and I have choosen 'No' as a sort of guess if you like.

One thing I firmly believe and that is we are in the process of a major top very soon. If this will be above 11,000 or below I simply don't know at this moment in time. Hence this poll has been devised to findout the general mood of the T2W members, after all it is a big number!

Thank you.

user said:
Yes before the end of the year.

Maybe should have clarified it a little better.
Might should clarify that you mean before the year end. Someone looking at the poll for first time could think you were refering to it closing above 11,000 on 3-4 as it made a high of 10,971 that day.

PT

RUDEBOY said:
I wouldn't like to pin point, but i'd guess that if it doesn't touch or go through 11000 by the end of this week, it may slide for a short while( general, i know, when it stops sliding, thats how many days)?
I think there is a good chance of it touching 11,000 by the end of this week. But if it doesn't then I agree it may slide down for a few days but I still see it breaknig above 11,000 within 3 weeks even if it retreats some first. On a 10 day overbought/oversold it is still bullish on my indicator at 63% (over 50% on my indicator is bullish). On the 5 day overbought/oversold it is still bullish (54%). On the 2 day it is 76% - still bullish. On todays it is bearish. However, I think it will recuperate some ground tommorrow after first going down some. Velocity was up today slightly over yesterday's even thpough it didn't break yesterdays high. However, forecasted velocity for tommorrow is for it to slow down thus I say it may go under 10900 early before heading back up. I expect the range tommorrow to be 90 to 110.

PT

Last edited:
keep an eye on crude... 5486. it looks ready to spill over. If it can take out 55.20 then we could have a real crack at the high then it is off to 58.. These markets have seemed so resilient in the face of high oil but that can not last. I think if oil does breakout(even marginally) you could see a lot of bulls run for cover. If 10,850 breaks then we will be in a very interesting situation.
On the 'where's the dow going' I looking for downside as I believe there is something out there this year that will really roil the markets- i.e the VIX and bullish sentiment readings are hardly comforting. It could be oil, terrorism, rates or even profit warnings but at some time it is all going to jig together and you will see a major pullback. We all know about the rationality of markets so all you shorters' need is a little patience, a little guts and obviously a nice option strategy just in case it all turns sideways!

Lost 10 points yesterday, now flat of dow, long of ftse, short of oil.
I have no idea where the dow is going, but if oil breaks 55 strongly this could be the catayst for a trip below 10900, there must be a lot of long stops below this level waiting to be triggered.
Mj

Oil got some major resistance at 5520, a break of this should see us at the highs although I have entered shorts at $55.