Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

karmit said:
Rita is coming as well.... 10300 by end of the week I would assume...

Do you reckon Rita will be that bad? It is only a category 2 hurricane - Katrina was a category 5. My feeling is that is an excuse for CNN to use the word "dramatic" 100 times an hour. Unless it knocks out more rigs over the Gulf, I think its aftermath might be relatively light.

macbonzo said:
Do you reckon Rita will be that bad? It is only a category 2 hurricane - Katrina was a category 5. My feeling is that is an excuse for CNN to use the word "dramatic" 100 times an hour. Unless it knocks out more rigs over the Gulf, I think its aftermath might be relatively light.

do you think the markets care about category 2 or 4 or 10?

all it needs at the moment is an excuse to sell...

P.S: on a different note - I hope the media stops feeding on these things.. especially the US media... BBC is a saint as compared to the hellraisers other side of the pond..

karmit said:
convincing breach of 10500 yet ?
Straight through like knife into butter. Short triggered at 10520 but have moved my stop to 10500 since we could see another late rally back up towards the close.

macbonzo said:
As a tropical storm/hurricane enters the Gulf the sea temperatures increase to about 30c (at the time of Katrina) the storm gathers moisture and energy at an increasing rate picking up intensity.Katrina was upgraded gradually as it crossed the Gulf.The forecasts are for Rita to reach category 3 but so it was for Katrina,

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/032506.shtml?prob

macbonzo said:
The threat from RITA is not so much to the rigs in the Gulf (although a factor) but to the refineries in Texas
Oil is not a problem Gas/Heating Oil are
At this time of tear the refineries are gearing up to refine Heating Oil

I don think there is much room for up-market movement at this stage...
As I have mentioned in my previous posts dow is on the fall and I am looking for it to go to the 10200 level as a minimum.......
Alll My Technical analysis is showing the same....
I would like the market to retrace up one more time before it falls.....but I think that is not possible anymore
I will be shorting the market 3rd day in a row around the 10540 region or 10465 tommorow one of the 2...Lets see.......

Channels and ting

Well we got that H&S target, although it chose the "second" neckline to test. Burned a few more shorts on the way no doubt.

State of play now, below. No idea how she'll swing this one, as ever, but the Dow and Spoo have at least completed some nice measured patterns, the Spoo especially. Comp has dropped below a significant TL, but is close enough to climb back above tomorrow, or at least creep up on the underside (internal TL). Or we just drop to the channel support. The Spoo may provide the clue here as it has completed the prettiest pattern and is sat at the bottom of a channel traverse.

Big volume climax today on the YM ... 25k contracts on a 30 min bar is a lot, relative the the last few months at least. Capitulation or confirmation? Hmm...

After Fed day often bounces as the Fed "makes good" Ali G's decision. Open gap at 680 to bear in mind too.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 185
  • untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 181
Oil may not help.... (apologies for the indicators :))

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 181
macbonzo said:

I totally agree.

Its panic. Right or wrong the market will react like headless chickens.

UK

macbonzo said:

Rirta, my how you've grown.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={CCACB0C0-E8FB-4BD4-97D5-54DF7D55EB87}&siteid=mktw

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={2F5939B1-1C2D-43A3-9D82-61E8135D1AC9}&siteid=mktw

From recent foreign purchasers of US assets...

Japan increased their purchases of US treasuries marginally while China, OPEC and Carribean hedge funds were net sellers. UK and Eurozone demand accounted for most of the increases in purchases, which was the largest since July. The data was strong all around, with large purchases of treasuries, agencies, corporate bonds as well as stocks.

(my highlight)

roguetrader said:

a quote from there..
'The rampage caused by Katrina - rated a Category 5 hurricane -- shut down 95% of U.S. crude production, and about 837,000 barrels, or 55% of the region's offshore oil output, is still shut three weeks after what will likely go down as the costliest storm in U.S. history.'

Oil figures out this afternoon too

Anyone else here short on the Dow and/or NDX ?
I'm still short on the Dow from yesterday at 10520 and today on the NDX Dec at 1578

kriesau said:
Anyone else here short on the Dow and/or NDX ?
I'm still short on the Dow from yesterday at 10520 and today on the NDX Dec at 1578

been short since a while now!.... will be adding to shorts depending upon what happens at the end of the session today....

Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

Anyone know.I think down some more then up,but dont put you money on it.