Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

ESignal system status message:

"eCBOT trading halted at the exchange due to technical difficulties as of 7:20am, PST."

That's an hour and twenty minutes ago and still down. Run up to the outage might explain the precipitous drop in volume mentioned earlier though.

besides, im still 40 points away from my FTSE short area, so i dont want the Dow to sell-off just yet ;)

FC

I'll go for above. I know its a tall order but I think we'll go above and create this false impression regards the case for more upward action.

Nasdaq volume only marginally ahead of Friday again rather odd considering the gain and the fact the Nasdaq has taken out its 50 day sma

Bund had 'issues' according to Mytrack.Anyone else with another feed get all Bund data today?

from IB.....
To ECBOT traders:

Mon Mar 7 12.32.38 2005 EST

The ECBOT has alerted us that they have halted trading once again as of 12.30 EST..

someones head is gonna roll for this....... :(

edit - 13.30 EST - ECBOT back online........

the data gaps have made a right mess of the charts - definitely gaps not to trade too..

Last edited:
Oil bounced of the support I mentioned earliar 5287-90 and now trading at 5360 so not a bad trade.

The Dow is sitting tight. Lets see how the rest of the trading day unfolds.

Oil started rising towards the end of the session and hit $54/barrel. Then the Dow started travelling towards the lows and I was one tick away from being stoped out as I had moved my stop to entry. Come on now that oils closed, dow move higher! lets see this stupid hefty level of 11,000. :devilish:

Think thats your lot ofr today mate
Naz back above 50 day sma, nice run onthe SOX, and consolidation on the rest, not a bad days work. :LOL:

FINALLY... every time we've aproached the lows, I've been elsewhere. Just got in at the last pull-back. Had a limit order in to go long at 10945 (march futures), so looking to grab at least 55pts per contract when we see User's promise of 11000 come good...!!! :eek:
BTW User, you still in?

Just got stoped out at 0 for the day. Never mind. Oil doing well for me though.

I'll probably look to re-enter soon at similar levels to yourself.

Good luck to you. I see today as consolidation, so expecting tomorrow to ride on Friday's momentum. We'll see... time will tell.

So we're ending at the lows of the day?...Does this imply a test of 10900 before 11000? Interesting.

Preacher-Man:-
I see today as consolidation

Looks like a bull-flag to me.......

Today was likely to be a consolidation day imho as we've had a 200 point run-up from the Thursday low.........

tradesmart said:
Looks like a bull-flag to me.......
Looks more like a shooting star to me - minus the gap - and it came close to that top regression line too. A few more days sideways needed to qualify as a bull flag me thinks.

The detail on those NF jobs is probably cooling market enthusiasm a bit too. It seems that the headline increase of 262,000 (that's @40,000 ahead of market expectations - WOW !) included an upwards ajustment of no fewer that 186,000 required by an obscure statistical model, to factor in an anomaly for March 2004. In other words, without this 'ajustment', the headline rate would have been about half market forecast. Imagine the effect that would have had last Friday. What with that and the so called 'hedonic' adjustments, not to mention 80% of the increase being service sector etc etc it's fortunate for the cheerleaders that the actual number was not a negative of similar proportions - and in reality it probably was of course.

Make no mistake - there is strictly limited upside potential left in the good old US of A right now.

See http://www.safehaven.com/article-2707.htm for details.

Peterpr I agree limited upside in the Dow and we'll be topping out very very soon.

I just read that article this evening too. Shocking stuff. Oh well they got the headline. We had a breakout we have limited upside left and I would definitely sum this activity up as fake!!! The market makers and major players are driving this baby higher creating this stupid impression that we're hitting all time highs. They want everyone to jump on board (Public stupid money) and that gives them a chance to sell like nobody's business.

When the CEO's are selling well lets just say we're approaching a top and it seems to me as if this economic picture is going to get really nasty on all fronts.

Currency's going ballistic, Bonds heading lower, Stocks declining from these bubble levels and lets not forget the housing market which will also start to decline very soon. Then you got China which is sooner or later going to hit top spot. Commodity prices rising higher along with oil which should no doubt hit $100 a barrel within the next five years. The economic picture just looks so bleak longer term.

:rolleyes: Sorry if you don't like 'my world', welcome to the future! :devilish:

Can't make my mind up on tomo's low, 900 or 860/70.... expect it will be a one day reversal though ....agree peterpr shooty star come hammer type thingy ......then Wed prob some up then sideways rest of week ..

10,940 is an important fig in my start of year analysis, being the line to break through to signal a bull year.... three full consecutive candles above this level and i might be persuaded to grow horns ....until then i'm firmly sat on fence but looking to short anything that moves quick on Dow

count er :!:

TXN down 3% after mid-quarter guidance, lowers upper range of earnings and revenue forcast citing lower demand for chips in digital TVs.

INTC to give mid-quarter on Thurs

Charlie Miller
2005-03-04

MORE FUTURE TALK

Since today potentially is the validation of the 4-year H&S Bottom formation, we can make a long term guess at where things might go in the future, based upon classical H&S theory. The latter states that we potentially would expect the pattern to rise to a Dow of 12,500, then form a Return Move back to the current level of 11,000, and finally, bounce upward on a multiyear bull leg. On that time scale, the Return Move would take about a year to complete. So, for those wishing to guess today "Where will the Dow be on December 31, 2005?", "Right where we're at now" would be a reasonable answer.

On the other hand, my first guess, based upon Elliott Wave theory, is much the same, except that the Dow would climb to a substantially higher level than 12,500, before beginning a 4th wave pull back, corresponding to the above Return Move. The Dow would not return to the 11,000 level, but, at a higher level would turn up into the 5th and final upward wave.

The action at the 12,500 level should be the test to see which analysis today was more correct. In the ideal case, that peak test would likely come in the summer time. Ah, how this reminds me of my analysis of 8/8/01, entitled "Dow bottoms on 4/22/03." Long term investors just love to talk on these time scales. The rest of us are much too fidgety to think beyond next week.