Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

orky said:
Does that information say anything to your about todays market?

Orky
It indicates that the market will open down today. Trade deficit for June due an hour before the market opens. We might see a real downer today but a real drop will not be validated until the market breaks long term support at 10500.

jonty69 said:
So what's the consensus on those deficit figures? Where is Mr Greenspan going to send us today, soaring towards 10800 or diving below 10500? Seems to me like this market has been pretty jumpy this week and ripe for that long mooted correction. Am hung out a little on a silly overnight short at 10605 at the moment and need to decide whether it's best to take the loss. Where do I go?
Well you will have to make your own judgement call on that. Depends how much you have at stake and what your normal SL distances are.

FWIW - if I were in your shoes I would hold and wait. Market should open down and if the June trade deficit comes out above $57bn this could push it down further. Oil is now $65.62 and it appears that the Hedge Funds are buying in anticipation of a further supply/demand imbalance.

If the market breaks below 10600 today it wil probably head down towards the long term support of 10500. If it bounces at 10600 then the upside resistance is in the 10720 - 30 area. If it breaks through that then it could head toward 10800 although this seems is unlikely IMHO.

However the market is so irrational at the moment you cannot rule anything out. Its overdue a downside correction but when is still the big question.

kriesau said:
However the market is so irrational at the moment you cannot rule anything out.

Yes that is very true, I have just about given up trying to think where this market is going to go to now, someone posted a link a few pages ago that described this time of year very well...

'wait, wait, wait... then whoosh up.... wait wait wait, then whoosh down'

Or words to that effect ;)

Racer said:
Yes that is very true, I have just about given up trying to think where this market is going to go to now, someone posted a link a few pages ago that described this time of year very well...

'wait, wait, wait... then whoosh up.... wait wait wait, then whoosh down'

Or words to that effect ;)
Trade Deficit for June at $58.8bn.
Oil at $65.95
How much more bad news can this market just absorb and shrug off !

IMO to understand the current market one needs to understand commodities.
To regress a little, a vast generalisation can be applied to whole decades, give or take a few years.
The eighties were about Japanese growth
The nineties were about Japan's slump and ending with high tech.
The "noorties" ARE about commodities. China's and India's thirst for raw materials has skewed the normal market. Commodities I think will play an ever increasing role in the World economy as they get into an ever shorter supply.

This coupled with the huge amounts of oil money to invest will push stock markets, gold and property up and up. :eek:

Pat494 said:
I guess that last dip took out a few stops ?? and now it appears to be heading for a gentle rise.

Sorry to bang on about stops.
But I think it may be of interest to some members that the other thread mentioned yesterday ( Daily signals on indices ) took a 43 point loss on the Dow, when in fact they got the close of 10686 exactly right and would have made a pretty 49 point gain if they hadn't employed a stop.
The obvious caution is of course that daily cash bets without stops, are not for beginners or the unwary.
Another plus is that the daily cash spread closes without charging a spread.
Anyway amid cries of rubbish and heresy etc. I rest my case.
Have a good day
Pat

kriesau said:
Well you will have to make your own judgement call on that. Depends how much you have at stake and what your normal SL distances are.

FWIW - if I were in your shoes I would hold and wait. Market should open down and if the June trade deficit comes out above $57bn this could push it down further. Oil is now $65.62 and it appears that the Hedge Funds are buying in anticipation of a further supply/demand imbalance.

If the market breaks below 10600 today it wil probably head down towards the long term support of 10500. If it bounces at 10600 then the upside resistance is in the 10720 - 30 area. If it breaks through that then it could head toward 10800 although this seems is unlikely IMHO.

However the market is so irrational at the moment you cannot rule anything out. Its overdue a downside correction but when is still the big question.

Very sound thinking there, thanks a lot.

Has anyone noticed the channel from yesterday to today ?
If it holds then the Dow should get back up to 10700 levels.

Down 109 pts at 12.30pm. Entering the lower segment of the 10500 - 10725 trading range - anyone bullish about an afternoon rally ?

Shhhh, don't wake the bulls up, they have had things their way for far tooooo long up to now!

kriesau said:
Down 109 pts at 12.30pm. Entering the lower segment of the 10500 - 10725 trading range - anyone bullish about an afternoon rally ?

Probably near bottom of lower range ?
A small bounce later perhaps ?

Anyone would like to join the Live chat, trading the Dow YM all live calls. up over 100 points in the last 3 days. The more the better. this week there are about 12 at a time in the room

sun

dow analysis

kriesau said:

NOT Bullish but I see a possible support at 10558
but I am still short and holding.
regards

Wonder if we are going to get a 150 pointer today? Now that would be interesting!

Just had my first visit to the live chat room
Phew they move so fast
It takes me 5 minutes just to get a bet on with Finspreads
By that time they would be in and out a couple of times
Anyway friendly crowd

Racer said:
Shhhh, don't wake the bulls up, they have had things their way for far tooooo long up to now!
Seems like the Bulls are not asleep yet :cheesy:

Do you see 10600 as a potential resistance level yet ?