What's your 'edge'?

New_trader, further applications from you for the moderator position will probably kill someone. There is only so much rolling on the floor laughing that people can take.

Because I am only interested in what is beyond method, which incidentally is very far above what is mechanical, and because there are very few who truly have mastered mindset as an extension to a proper method and are thus able to recognise and give mindset the proper importance it deserves, for this reason what I post may not seem to be mainstream in the context of what I describe above.

(y)

In my years of trading I've had a number of moments of epiphany, those f### me sideways instances where I've been hit by an experience or understanding, that was so powerful to me it remained ingrained in my noddy box, shaping my useless normal-world brain into my trading brain. Whether it cost alot of money or not is not so relevant, but that the process has consumed years of my life, is.

You will find no edge worth having without experience. A series of worthless turd SB punts that make you feel a hero is no edge. My edge is unique. They all are, if you've found it. It can only be an edge perfectly suited to you, as a consequence of that process of seeking a sense that you are comfortable or at ease as a trader. Without the need to big yourself up as some new hotshot. That involves in part digesting all your favourite trader books and then promptly rejecting most of it, until you've acquired enough of other people's knowledge worth having, and enough painful and joyous experiences to have tested your metal. But mostly system developing till your brain bleeds!

I didn't find my edge in a book. I found it after I decided to develop a system to encapsulate my contrarian nature. Alot of answers lie in discovering what others are doing, then looking in the opposite direction. There is much emotional security in buying into accepted strategies, all together marching as one dumb ass crowd, groupthink is an old concept. The crowd that consistently make up the numbers have only the perceived comfort of their own company.

For an edge to exist by definition, it can't simply be conventional. Good risk management etc are part of good trading practice, but is itself not an edge.

Without question, accepting that this business is not easy, simple yes, but definitely not easy, can be considered as the first true step in the right direction. From there go your own way. You will stumble on your edge in good time, not before. And if you want to acquire it easily, you'll never find it.

Very good post. Well worth the read. Those who know...know!

After 9 years , nobody really knows the meaning of an edge , in this thread.What is a consistent edge?

I suppose these are all professional traders talking about the edge!