What's my "edge"?

meanreversion

With major banks spending hundreds of millions each year developing trading algorithms, what edge does the average punter have that will enable him or her to make money? It's a tough one. You could take the approach that there is money for everyone (with a consistent system), or maybe most day traders/private investors simply aren't going to make money, due to the experience of the competition.

Thoughts?

That you don't HAVE to trade. Ever. Banks spend this money and therefore feel obliged to put it to work. Sometimes flat reall is the right position to have. Plus you don't have the organisational inertia that a large shop has. If you spot something new in the market you should be able to react to it immediately. Many banks and algorithmic trading firms take a chile to adapt.

With major banks spending hundreds of millions each year developing trading algorithms, what edge does the average punter have that will enable him or her to make money? It's a tough one. You could take the approach that there is money for everyone (with a consistent system), or maybe most day traders/private investors simply aren't going to make money, due to the experience of the competition.

Thoughts?

A trading edge is nothing more than more than an indication of a higher probability of one thing happening over another historically. Personally, I have a technical trading edge that when I employ in the correct overall price action conditions and at pre-identified potential supp/res/sbr/rbs produces a high strike rate of successful outcomes. This combined with the right money managemnet and of course the patience and discipline to await the trading edge in the correct circumstances enables me to take money from the market.

I agree with the above poster also that a great part of a successful edge is that we don't have to join the bid or offer until the edge sets-up.

I am always in mid of Mark Douglas's words in respect of trading an 'edge;'

The 5 Fundamental Truths of Trading:
1. Anything can happen.

2. You don’t need to know what is going to happen next to make money.

3. There is a random distribution between wins and losses for any given set of
variables that define an edge.

4. An edge is nothing more than an indication of a higher probability of one thing
happening over another.

5. Every moment in the market is unique.

The 7 Principles of Consistency:

1. I objectively identify my edges.

2. I predefine the risk of every trade.

3. I completely accept the risk or I am willing to let go of the trade.

4. I act on my edges without reservation or hesitation.

5. I pay myself as the market makes money available to me.

6. I continually monitor my susceptibility for making errors.

7. I understand the absolute necessity of these principles of consistent success
and, therefore, I never violate them.

With major banks spending hundreds of millions each year developing trading algorithms, what edge does the average punter have that will enable him or her to make money?

Thoughts?

I think I asked a similar Q here a couple of years ago. My answer now (older but only possibly wiser) is to relax about the 'big picture' and just look at the charts... there are clear patterns to exploit. For some reason it's tempting to look for reasons not to do it.

(and not trading 'market moving' size helps as well).

Ben

Your edge: you are small.

There is a limit on how small the position of a bank can be. You make 2000 USD per day? You are happy. The bank... has a problem. Not even on the radar as profit.

This is why they move the markets, and you do not ;)

Use the edge that the big boys are using.

A lot of program trading is based on buying/selling on relative arbitrage and buying cheap/selling dear. The latter sounds silly but its true. The average punter does not have access to programmers or these strategies.

But he/she can short tops and buy bottoms with reasonable stops. Using an MA based system - mean reversion - works well. Many hedgies use it ( fx and bonds, dontknow about equities).

But also - knowing when not to trade is perhaps most important. The big boys have to trade. The retail punter should bear that in mind before trading the 1 minute 10 ema.

Use the edge that the big boys are using.

A lot of program trading is based on buying/selling on relative arbitrage and buying cheap/selling dear. The latter sounds silly but its true. The average punter does not have access to programmers or these strategies.

But he/she can short tops and buy bottoms with reasonable stops. Using an MA based system - mean reversion - works well. Many hedgies use it ( fx and bonds, dontknow about equities).

But also - knowing when not to trade is perhaps most important. The big boys have to trade. The retail punter should bear that in mind before trading the 1 minute 10 ema.

There is also a technological advantage that the big banks have in the way they connect to the various exchanges.. they will react to price change / anouncements etc.. at speeds way beyond your BT broadband connection.. (sub millisecond) ...

Fact is... why does anybody care what the big boys are up to.. play your own game. after all its only yourself you are able to control..not them..

And by the way, I invested in an algorithmic fund, the fund manager has a PHD etc etc... Absolute rubbish... the system clearly didnt work.. the worst performing funds have all but recovered since last year, but this one is nowhere near... :mad:

Fact is they dont know the future any more than you or I...