What happens if you follow Jim Cramer exactly: a multi-year study of Mad Money picks

BE Trader

Jim Cramer gets a lot of attention - both positive and negative. Some people say that you should do the opposite of what he says and you would make money. I sticked with a simpler approach trust no-one but numbers.

Below you can find the statistics for executing LONG positions for all the Mad Money "buy mentions", SHORT for "sell mentions". Opening positions every morning at 9:30am on the day after the show, holding until 9:30am next day and repeating the same.

The Setup

I ran 2 Strategies: SHORT and LONG. Below is the setup. Each Strategy tracks all the historical Mad Money calls and updates with new every night. $10K distributed daily equally among all stocks on each side.

Mad Money Strategy 01.png

The Results

I was a bit skeptical at first. Thinking that it would be mimicking the overall market performance at best or even losing money. I was pleasantly surprised with 2022 performance first
Mad Money Strategy 02.png

• +11.86% on the LONG side YTD
  • +28.53% on the SHORT side YTD

Then I decided to backtest it since 2016 and here is what I got.

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 7.35.03 AM.png

YOY Results^
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 7.38.06 AM.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks