Websites not loading first time around

theknifemac

Hi

I have recently started seeing a problem where a valid URL is not loading in my browser - returning page not found in IE or Firefox. I am pretty sure this started happening before I upgraded to SP2.

Refreshing the page fixes the problem. Once I have visited a site it works fine for a while, then seems to timeout and returns the not found error until refreshed or the link is clicked on again.

I've checked all the obvious candidates and have restarted my ADSL router and upgraded its firmware, all to no avail.

Having to hit refresh is not that bad, but when visiting new sites it is tempting to assume the site is down, especially when clicking on a link from elsewhere.

Thanks

Stew

Do you happen to have a wireless router? If so, then it could be your computer is intermittently dropping it's connection with the router. In which case check your signal strength and your router settings - you may need to reconfigure the connection with your pc (make sure it's nice and secure!).

Another thought.. if you using any sort of p2p software, it might be maxing out your bandwidth at the expense of your other windows apps.

Sharky said:
Do you happen to have a wireless router? If so, then it could be your computer is intermittently dropping it's connection with the router. In which case check your signal strength and your router settings - you may need to reconfigure the connection with your pc (make sure it's nice and secure!).

Another thought.. if you using any sort of p2p software, it might be maxing out your bandwidth at the expense of your other windows apps.

Its a wired router and am not running any P2P or anything which is heavy ion the internet. Email and most web browsing is fine, just now and again a valid URL is rejected then ok on retry. PCPitstop says the machine is fine.

Thanks for the help tho

Stew

Have you checked the time online with the router to see if it is reconnecting?

Racer said:
Have you checked the time online with the router to see if it is reconnecting?

Good point but it shows as being up 15 hours since I rebooted it. I will keep checking on other possibilities but it has me puzzled.

Stew

Last edited:
Just tried pinging a website which has been exhibiting this behaviour. The first request timed out, then had three packets sent ok, so there may be a problem at my ISP rather on this PC....

And then pinging my own website, gave a could not find host XYZ, then a second ping was sucessful so may be a DNS issue of some sort...

Any thoughts anyone ?

Stew