IE or BB problem?

alliance

Hi
I am running XPpro with SP1 (SP2 not installed)
I have recently installed Broadband Platinum (up to 20 times faster). It is indeed very very fast to connect, download em@ils or large files etc :cheesy: which leads to me think there is no BB problem.

However, the problem I have which I cannot seem to resolve is that on certain websites..i.e. forums such as T2W or Capital Spreads tho I get to home page normally, when I move internally between pages on such sites, then 99.9% of the time I have to refresh b4 the page will load. i.e. I click on a new thread..the page seems to almost load instantaneously (per the loading bars @ btm of page), however it always stops b4 anything of the site shows..i.e on a blank screen..then I have to hit refresh.....b4 it then loads/dispays normally. (I can change from website to website with no problems)! I have also noticed that my em@il alerts from T2W no longer arrive almost instantaneously ..sometimes it can be hours if not indeed the next day b4 they arrive. (Dunno if that is perhaps a T2W problem tho)?

(Neither of these problems existed on dial up).

Any ideas? :rolleyes:

TIA,
Alliance

I dont think its a problem with the boards - nothing that I'm aware of anyway.

I certainly get all my alerts to replies within a few minutes, and the probs you're also having with Capital Spreads site would suggest that its not confined to this site anyway.

Do the usual - check for possible Windows updates, run browser parasite checks, adaware - all stuff like that tends to make a browser behave oddly.

Better still, now you've got broadband and dont have to sit there for hours waiting for downloads, bin IE completely and run with Mozilla Firefox (4.2Mb download) - I'm sure that will help no end.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

I agree with rossored, been running Fire Fox for ages now & its far better than IE :eek: :D

alliance said:
However, the problem I have which I cannot seem to resolve is that on certain websites..i.e. forums such as T2W or Capital Spreads tho I get to home page normally, when I move internally between pages on such sites, then 99.9% of the time I have to refresh b4 the page will load. i.e. I click on a new thread..the page seems to almost load instantaneously (per the loading bars @ btm of page), however it always stops b4 anything of the site shows..i.e on a blank screen..then I have to hit refresh.....b4 it then loads/dispays normally.

FWIW, I have a similar problem, though it's nowhere near as bad as yours. Some websites seem to be noticeably worse for this than others, for some reason. For me, it's www.citybull.com and www.kumb.com - I don't see it on this site at all.

I'm on 512K PlusNet broadband, IE 6.1 SP1, Win2K SP4, patched to latest hotfixes.

Hi guys, many tnx for responses thus far ~ much appreciated!

All windows updates are auto installed (excl SP2 by choice). I also run a weekly check with Ad-Aware, Pest Patrol, and AVG and (online scans) with Housecall and Trojan Scanner. I have previously disabled my Zone Alarm pro to see if maybe I had the config wrong....no joy :( Think I have got most eventualities pretty well covered ;)
I will have a look @ Mozilla site....I am (was) quite happy with IE ...I just dont understand why these two problems have arisen suddenly. Would I need to uninstall IE prior to downloading Mozilla, or is it simply a case of having both but making Mozilla the default browser? Apart from perhaps solving my problem....what else makes Mozilla far far better than IE? I have read of less viruses..but I guess that's just coz enuff ppl dont use it.....virus creators etc obviously want to create as much havoc as possible hence their targetting of the most used progs>> IE+OE.

(btw,Rosso, my only reason for wondering if it was perhaps T2W was that I read a thread last nt, cant recall which one...where the contributor was apologising for his delay in answering someone ...and said he had had no notifications for a cpl of days then got a bunch all together....just thot maybe there was a glitch in the system).

Thanks again :)

Hmm, well no glitches to the best of my knowledge (but that doesnt mean there arent any... ;) ) Interestingly, I think it was my post that you'd read where I said about not having any updates for a couple of days, in this same forum. http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showpost.php?p=138509&postcount=15 Ahem! :eek:

Mozilla is just a bit more secure than IE, for the reasons you've stated : most browser-targeted attacks go to IE, because 95% of the world uses it - Mozilla is about 2% atm. You can indeed just install Mozilla to be the default browser (it will ask you this when you first run it). I still keep IE on my machine because there are some sites that unfortunately only work with IE - www.pcpitstop.com for example. I also have Netscape and Opera on my machine but thats for another reason.

Matt et al:
WOW!!! what can I say??? I downloaded Mozilla....literally only took a cpl of minutes....imported all my IE stuff...cookies..favs etc in one easy click....and lordy lord what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) No browsing problems thus far.....
AND...
believe it or not...tho they seemed (to me) unlikely to be remotely connected in any way, the T2W em@il alert problem may well be resolved as well ;) I rebooted puter whilst I went to get something to eat, and when I signed back on , I had 28!!! em@il alerts!!!
(Of course, I realise that this may just be pure co-incidence in that the the same has happened to u Matt.......but unlike ur problem I have been getting the alerts regularly....just hours later.......but the 28 that downloaded all @ once seems to bring me up to date).

Thanks again one and all ...will update if problem re-appears!

Um um Um,

No XP service pack 2 = insecure PC. Do not kid yourselves.

I have applied XP SP2 to hundreds of machines and the only issue has been to open firewall ports (or just turn the thing off) to allow some non Microsoft Apps to work.

One way around this is to uninstall the app load service pack 2 then reinstall the app...

JonnyT