Weather

Robertral

What are your views on trading weather indices and derivatives?????
Would you consider it????

No,
Too illiquid and expensive.
The EU weather market is just about dead and the US has a smattering of trades going on. They are only really useful as hedge mechanisms not as spec instruments. When Enron was still living there were a few good trades going on. One was with Corney and Barrow that paid out if the average summer temperature fell below a certain point for a number of consecutive evenings. Seems they had worked out a temperature relationship to drinks consumption.
I did go to a day at the Metreological Centre in Reading for a day course on these a few years ago and spent the day being shown how global warming really is a reality and how we are all going to die as a result.
There was also some time devoted to how weather characteristics are measured to ensure consistency.

I did go to a day at the Metreological Centre in Reading for a day course on these a few years ago and spent the day being shown how global warming really is a reality and how we are all going to die as a result.

We're all going to die anyway.

Does it really matter how ?

Lol

Robertral said:
What are your views on trading weather indices and derivatives?????
Would you consider it????

It is one of the few instruments (that I'm aware of) that are genuinely outside the normal forces of supply/demand and market/traders psychology.

Manipulations by the MM in providing these indices and derivatives aside, I guess it could be an area to consider, which I haven't to date.

It would take some serious research (along the lines TWalker mentions) to even give it a second thought, but it might be fun if you had the time to spare.

Speak for your selves. Im never gunna die. Im going to trade my way to immortality. Im going to amass sooooo much money that I will finance the exilihr of youth! I will then seek to trade that too. Supply will be limited so Id put your bids in now if I were you.

PM me and I'll give you my bank details. Its in your interests to do so asap as I will only offer this limited futures contract to the first 50. Dont want the world cluttering up now do I!!

I have developed a way to trade from cryostasis. This can work even if you can only afford the head thing, due to 1000 years upfront payment on exchange fees.(to my bank account)
It works with lab specimen so I am certain it will work with traders.

lol,
Identical in all respects, a graduate from one of these new Universities.

twalker said:
I have developed a way to trade from cryostasis. This can work even if you can only afford the head thing

Surely for traders it would have to at least be a head & shoulders....?

If a head and shoulders represents a market top, does a bum and dick mean there is a market bottom?