Virus/ Malware protection

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
What are you using?

Just had my laptop rendered useless by what I think was a virus. The thing would start up ok, but once at the desktop, no application would open at all. After multiple re-starts I then received the 'blue screen of death'. This was completely out of the blue. It ran great before.

I re-installed windows (7 this time, was running 8 before). Everything is now fine and dandy.

The thing is, (assuming it was a virus) I have Norton. It was set to scan every 8 hours and once a month I run a free Malwarebytes and ADW cleaner scan. However, after I had an issue with a windows update screwing up that computer I disabled automatic updates around 6 weeks ago. Makes me wonder if I missed some security modifications. That's my bad for not sorting that, I was well aware it was something I had to get around to.

Last edited:
Well this is concerning, but not surprising.

I've run scans from various providers, and all appear to miss files the others don't. AVG for example picked up a bunch of stuff in windows.old the others didn't.

Guess we must just hope for the best and avoid this kind of crap:confused:

Last edited:
Well this is concerning, but not surprising.

I've run scans from various providers, and all appear to miss files the others don't. AVG for example picked up a bunch of stuff in windows.old the others didn't.

Guess we must just hope for the best and avoid this kind of crap:confused:

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and it has worked well so far.

I had AVG ( paid for ) but somehow the little bl**ders got in. It cost me £45 plus a subscription to Avast.
Better now but some sites allow really awful pop-up adverts etc. that clutter the screen. About 6 video players are competing in my PC for space ?

I use Antivir by Avira and have never had any issues at all and in my view is one of the best out there.

Norton used to be crap don't know how it is now.
Many virus it could not see.

Nod 32 was recommended to me by a friend who was pretty competent with computer, Nod32 is small no compatibility problems and easy to use.

Just use the Norton, it will scan and optimize your computer.......disable any windows updates( they are mostly useless) and don't download anything you don't need ...
PS: no browser plugins

Just use the Norton, it will scan and optimize your computer.......disable any windows updates( they are mostly useless) and don't download anything you don't need ...
PS: no browser plugins

Norton can conflict with some applications.

Although some Windows updates occasionally cause problems (they are easily uninstalled pending a corrected version) I think it is a questionable practice to disable them entirely since many are designed to correct known vulnerabilities - examine them individually and select as necessary.

Agree on downloads and plug-ins.