unknown bank transcation :(

candles

Established member
Thats messed up my christmas :(
Just gone to my online banking and theres a load of money gone from my account to "Tiffany&co.uk" Nothing at all to do with me. Dont know how its happened :(

Maybe you bought some gift and forgot the transaction? (hopefully its just that).

Otherwise, never seen the point of online banking, what is the best thing about it you have found?

Contact your bank immediately and let them know what has happened as it could be a fraud and you need to stop any other transactions happening..

Paul

done that paul :(
It was a transaction made from my debit card apparantly although it hasn't left my wallet.
They've cancelled the card. They said I need to ring the fraud department in the morning. Totally spoilt my week.

done that paul :(
It was a transaction made from my debit card apparantly although it hasn't left my wallet.
They've cancelled the card. They said I need to ring the fraud department in the morning. Totally spoilt my week.

I'm sorry to hear that! My father had close to the same problem just last month but it was his american express card . He was able to get it taken care of right away as it was a credit card and not a debit card.
I hope very much that you are able to get the whole thing taken care of tomorrow.

Best wishes and have as great a Christmas as you can!:)

Last edited:
A problem with debit cards is that they offer the fraudster access to current account, to the limit of what's in the account. Credit cards are possibly no less secure but they do have a spend limit. Don't have a debit card, don't want one.

Glad to report my credit card security people phoned me couple months ago to enquire whether I had really stayed at a hotel in Leeds that week, as its outside my normal spending pattern and miles from home - I had indeed been there for work trip but fair play to them for checking.

Otherwise, never seen the point of online banking, what is the best thing about it you have found?

Quick payment of bills, transferring money between accounts, checking balances. All much quicker to carry out that telephone banking or driving to a cash machine/bank. Very, very handy. And the problem the OPer experienced is not due to online banking.

I had a phonecall from my bank a few weeks back telling me my card had been cloned ! !

They replaced it immediately anyway- respect to them for doing the right thing and letting me know instead of just sitting on it.

I've also had unauthorised transactions in the past and have had a refund no problem.