UK residents trading US ETFs

tradingflow2

Is there anyone out there trading US ETFs living in the UK ?

...seems almost impossible to trade them in the UK other than via CFDs due to UK regulations or being a professional status which requires a lot of conditions and very large account

There seams to be their equivalant here in the UK ( UCITS ETFs ) ..however they have no options to trade like the US QQQ or SPY ETFs which is a requirement needed

Any thoughts on subject other than leaving country and emigrating !

The best way to access these ETFs would be for you to open a US trading account, for example Tastyworks.

I trade mainly US ETFs in TAA portfolios. It is possible to gain self certified professional status which will give you access to these products but allow you to keep exchange data fees at retail level. There are certain requirements such as an account of $250k minimum and history of ETF trading which may count many people out. The alternative is to trade the equivalent CFD product. Nearly all ETFs have a CFD which can be traded in the EU or UK. The price spreads are identical the only downside being that there is a small financing charge as these products are traded on margin. That may suit many people as it allows more leverage.
The other option, as mentioned is a US account but some US brokers will still restrict access unless you have a US address and bank account.

I had to convert an Interactive brokers account when the EU rules surrounding ETF's came in a few years ago and what I describe above was their requirement. I also have a tradestation account based in US and indeed, it has never been an issue there.

Ok. Are you happy with these? I have a Tastyworks account but have not started trading -will use it for options.

I had to convert an Interactive brokers account when the EU rules surrounding ETF's came in a few years ago and what I describe above was their requirement. I also have a tradestation account based in US and indeed, it has never been an issue there.
Hi there TWI thanks for your trading advice...

I trade mainly US ETFs in TAA portfolios. It is possible to gain self certified professional status which will give you access to these products but allow you to keep exchange data fees at retail level. There are certain requirements such as an account of $250k minimum and history of ETF trading which may count many people out. The alternative is to trade the equivalent CFD product. Nearly all ETFs have a CFD which can be traded in the EU or UK. The price spreads are identical the only downside being that there is a small financing charge as these products are traded on margin. That may suit many people as it allows more leverage.
The other option, as mentioned is a US account but some US brokers will still restrict access unless you have a US address and bank account.
Hi TWI ..not sure what you mean you say you trade your US ETFs in a TAA portfolio...what is a TAA portfolio ??

Hi TWI ..not sure what you mean you say you trade your US ETFs in a TAA portfolio...what is a TAA portfolio ??
I assume he means Tactical Asset Allocation, so just the methodology he follows for trading with US ETFs.