UK resident NASDAQ query

newtoit1

First off, Hello everyone. I have been on the forums for some time now and the last few weeks have spent reading everything I can find.

I am an aspiring trader interested in long term stocks mainly (1mo -> 1yr). I am not the type who would want to be glued to the screen all day looking for that one opening window, my full time commitments just don't allow it :( I aim to start paper trading in July and if all goes well, go live in January.

I have two questions hope you can help with

1- For a UK resident what is the best way to trade NASDAQ. Are there any reliable (and cheap) brokers out there etc. Are there any technicalities I need to be aware of if I go down this route i.e. tax etc. I am considering signing up with barclaysstockbrokers Investment ISA (recommended by a friend who has been using them for a number of years now), what is your opinion of them?

2- A bit of a silly question this one - From your experience, what is your take on investing in a firm you work for? Although I am more interested in blue chips, I am considering settings aside a tiny portion of my equity for doing this.

Appreciate your help.