UK Politics

I see with dismay that the Corbuncle party is firmly committed to re-nationalizing the railways.

Anyone remember the utter shambles of the monthly go slows and strikes ?
Not to mention BR's doorstep stale sandwiches.

I do. I seem to remember general agreement that the nationally run railways were a money pit. Except for the London commuter services, has the railway network in the UK ever made a profit?

You've changed your loyalty three times this year already, Farron, Cable and now Corbyn.

Just May, Farrage and the joint leaders of the greens Bartley and Berry to go before x-mass :LOL::LOL::LOL:

THat's not loyalty, Mike, its plain commonsense. The problem is that if TM is got rid of, who's going to do the dirty work?

She is pulling UK out, which is what the Brexiters want. Why change her, until afer?? Let her resolve the border problem and get all the flak!

THat's not loyalty, Mike, its plain commonsense. The problem is that if TM is got rid of, who's going to do the dirty work?

She is pulling UK out, which is what the Brexiters want. Why change her, until afer?? Let her resolve the border problem and get all the flak!

If only that were true!

I do. I seem to remember general agreement that the nationally run railways were a money pit. Except for the London commuter services, has the railway network in the UK ever made a profit?

Public rail was subsidised yes. But so is the current system. They all are. Franchise fails, government bails out private enterprise. Profits are privatised, costs and investment placed on public purse.

Management layer gets whopping salaries in millions.

I remember when the public railways were subsidised but rail fares were lower too. So where have all the increase in fares going then?

Public infrastructure and subsidies can be seen as a national strategic interest. UK then asks why our productivity is lower than our European counterparts.

It's because it takes 2 or 3 times longer to get into work and people live closer to work causing housing price bubbles and when peeps do get into work they are pretty cheesed off.

Privatisation has been a dismal failure. All the utilities fleece the user with high prices. Only choice we have is the headed stationary. Telecom hardly the envy of the world. Look at BT and OpenReach fiasco. Anyone who tries to put in a fibre POP for business or private ends up tearing their hair out.

After almost 30 years are our telecom business any better despite for years UK citizens paying higher phone bill charges?

Bring on Corbyn and nationalised state insitutions. Only way we'll get decent service or infrastructure at reasonable prices. Pendellum has swung too far into the pockets of CEO's and useless leadership who haven't delivered.

Mr Angry :mad:

Public rail was subsidised yes. But so is the current system. They all are. Franchise fails, government bails out private enterprise. Profits are privatised, costs and investment placed on public purse.

Management layer gets whopping salaries in millions.

I remember when the public railways were subsidised but rail fares were lower too. So where have all the increase in fares going then?

Public infrastructure and subsidies can be seen as a national strategic interest. UK then asks why our productivity is lower than our European counterparts.

It's because it takes 2 or 3 times longer to get into work and people live closer to work causing housing price bubbles and when peeps do get into work they are pretty cheesed off.

Privatisation has been a dismal failure. All the utilities fleece the user with high prices. Only choice we have is the headed stationary. Telecom hardly the envy of the world. Look at BT and OpenReach fiasco. Anyone who tries to put in a fibre POP for business or private ends up tearing their hair out.

After almost 30 years are our telecom business any better despite for years UK citizens paying higher phone bill charges?

Bring on Corbyn and nationalised state insitutions. Only way we'll get decent service or infrastructure at reasonable prices. Pendellum has swung too far into the pockets of CEO's and useless leadership who haven't delivered.

Mr Angry :mad:

But we've been here before and we've tried it before and it was terrible. Your use of the word pendulum is revealing. We can't keep swinging from extreme to extreme and expect a different result.

The railways started as private companies. This failed. They became British Railways, later British Rail. This failed. They have been re-privatised. This is failing. Perhaps some new thinking would help.

Looking on as an observer, I'd like to say that I am very sorry for you all. It wasn't meant to be like this. I've passed the crap with all the Brexiters, including that arch Brexiteer, cv, but I've always wanted the best for my original home and everyone.

I do hope that you get it all sorted out.

This is not a Good-bye post. You haven't lost me, yet, I hope! But I realise that there is little that any of us can do and it is all very depressing.

But we've been here before and we've tried it before and it was terrible. Your use of the word pendulum is revealing. We can't keep swinging from extreme to extreme and expect a different result.

The railways started as private companies. This failed. They became British Railways, later British Rail. This failed. They have been re-privatised. This is failing. Perhaps some new thinking would help.

I dunno grandfather clocks still work and they use pendulums.

Tories come in make the rich richer and poor poorer.

Poor people grow in number outweigh those doing well.

We have elections and Labour come in who redistribute the cake. Poor people become better off. Rich people pay a little more tax. Until like CV poor people who are now well off and wish to avoid paying tax vote in their own interests and Tories get elected.

Thatcher got kicked out coz she ran pubic services down and sold off national assets. She did FA other than Raganomics that pulled UK out of her mess.

Blair and Brown redistributed the cake. Global economy goes into recession and they get kicked out carrying blame and Tories come in.

Same old story. If we apply your logic to political parties you might think someone is having a laugh and I'd say you'd be right. Trade Unions toook the blame and now fat cats CEOs and dim wits like a guy who runs a shopping supermarket gets elected onto the boards of banks - Where is Fred the shred now along with his cronies non effectual shopping guru chief execs. Same old Bull.

Yep bring back Trade Union power and nationalise industries. Similar to what the Germans have new Labour proposition to have 1/3 TU representation on company boards where they have 250+ employees or more is a super idea.

We need balance.

Britain needs Tories kicked out and Labour or Libdems in to address balance. (y)

Cometh the hour, cometh THE man.
But I don't see who …..…………..

I see Labour's NEW half witted plan is to pay 10% of company earnings to the workers. That should ruin some more companies by adding to costs a lot.

I see Labour's NEW half witted plan is to pay 10% of company earnings to the workers. That should ruin some more companies by adding to costs a lot.

They'll always find new ways of spending other people's money. Until its all gone.

sounds about right .........capitalism will die if Labour get in ........jees i hope all the parties offer the "peoples vote" in the forthcoming general election ........I would Fecking hate to have to vote labour (or lib dem) to get the second referendum :sneaky:

N

Typical with you lot. Do you know what you are talking about???

Barclays paid 50% of their profits as bonuses to 500 top management staff not many years ago.

Where is their share price now?

Where is Bob Diamond!

Really I feel like coming out with loads of explectives at ordinary peeps with double standards like your selves.

Get a book and do some reading. Feed your brains instead of trundling out the usual capitalist tripe, accumulating ever greater amounts of wealth in the hands of the few non deserving nits.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Typical with you lot. Do you know what you are talking about???

Barclays paid 50% of their profits as bonuses to 500 top management staff not many years ago.

Where is their share price now?

Where is Bob Diamond!

Really I feel like coming out with loads of explectives at ordinary peeps with double standards like your selves.

Get a book and do some reading. Feed your brains instead of trundling out the usual capitalist tripe, accumulating ever greater amounts of wealth in the hands of the few non deserving nits.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, you need to do some reading m8. This worker dividend is a thinly disguised ploy to enrich the Labour Govt's coffers. Workers div is capped at 500 quid a year, with any excess going to the treasury. In the case of Shell, this would mean the treasury gets about 1.1BN for sod all.

Pat was right and you are full of it (y)
Investors would leave the UK in droves and we could all have a more equal share in the poverty.

Yeah, you need to do some reading m8. This worker dividend is a thinly disguised ploy to enrich the Labour Govt's coffers. Workers div is capped at 500 quid a year, with any excess going to the treasury. In the case of Shell, this would mean the treasury gets about 1.1BN for sod all.

Pat was right and you are full of it (y)
Investors would leave the UK in droves and we could all have a more equal share in the poverty.

Did you really mean 'Labour' Governments' coffers???

Don't you mean 'Government' coffers to spend on 'Public' service.

Those on low paid incomes which you keep banging your drum about get extra quids in pocket to spend over Xmas.

That's only 10% of net profits. I think most companies will hardly notice.

Instead as I have experienced those on higher pay get higher % bonus ie up to 30% + and those on lower pay get 3 to 5%.

Paying top earners more money does not make them anymore productive or work harder. That's old BS they teach with the neo-classical economists theory of firms maximising profits. It is literally a load of bull. We can see it in the FTSE companies.

Where as paying low end higher salary or giving them an interest in their business can lead to productivity improvements and and incentivising personnel to perform better.

Did you really mean 'Labour' Governments' coffers???

Don't you mean 'Government' coffers to spend on 'Public' service.

Those on low paid incomes which you keep banging your drum about get extra quids in pocket to spend over Xmas.

That's only 10% of net profits. I think most companies will hardly notice.

Instead as I have experienced those on higher pay get higher % bonus ie up to 30% + and those on lower pay get 3 to 5%.

Paying top earners more money does not make them anymore productive or work harder. That's old BS they teach with the neo-classical economists theory of firms maximising profits. It is literally a load of bull. We can see it in the FTSE companies.

Where as paying low end higher salary or giving them an interest in their business can lead to productivity improvements and and incentivising personnel to perform better.

Well any Tory Govt wouldn't introduce such a policy, so obviously it would be Labour. This kind of nonsensical policy is exactly the reason why Labour are unelectable. So don't worry, it will never happen.:LOL: