UK MetaStock User Group

Sharky

Staff
Looking through the MetaStock website I noticed there's currently no User Group currently set up in the UK: http://www.equis.com/Education/UserGroups.aspx?uglocid=2

I made enquiries with MetaStock and received an email from the User Group Co-ordinator who said that to become a user group leader they generally require the group leader to have used MetaStock for a number of years.

Although I've not used it myself I'm very keen to give the full backing of T2W to initiatives like this which help support users. So if anyone who does have the necessary experience and would be interested in getting involved in setting up something in the UK, then please email me at [email protected].

I'd like to eventually extend this support to not just MetaStock but all the leading software packages - it just happens that MetaStock already have an initiative set up.

Paul.

This is a very good idea...you are right that there is no user group here at all...there was one set up somewhere in midland and nothing happended after that..

One reason perhaps why there was not any group set up was because there are many user groups on web where some really good discussion take place - on global scale....

See link below....

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Metastockusers/messages

this is just one of them...

My choice for someone with probably best experience would be Uncle...and I have some limited - 3 years experience with the package EOD version...I would be happy to help although because of my business and other activities it would be limited...

I am based in Middx and not far from your address so if you would like to meet one evening then please call me on 01895 271202..office no..and will discus it over a pint or curry in north harrow

Thanks Zambuck,

You're just down the road then! I had a look at the Trader Locator but didn't see you listed on there.

I'll drop Uncle an email in case he doesn't read this and find out if he'd be up for organsing something.

And a pint AND curry sounds like a most excellent idea. Will be in touch!

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul

Thanks for the message...I have registered on trader locater now...

so many things i don't know about this site...slowly getting around it..

Have sent you an e mail today

Yes beers and curry would be excellent idea...know few curry house owners for that special one...if you know ehat i mean..

Uncle would be the best choice and i hope with his vast experience he would be willing to participate on this User group site of Metastock

Hope to hear from you soon

Well done Zambuck.......but believe me, I may not be the whiz kid thou might believe me to be!!!!!

It would of course be interesting to know how many members of T2W use Metastock, or considering doing so.

Meanwhile thought is being given to the suggestion, and I have written to Sharky by email accordingly.

John.

.....Sorry to drop you in it Uncle...I have also sent Sharkey an e mail and hope to meet him next week to discuss further...

Perhaps a survey could be set up to see who uses what amongst 3000 odd users of this site?

hi all
Yes a survey might prove very interesting.
Prior to that you can put me down as a Metastock enthusiast. While by no means an expert I have been using MS EOD for around 5 years.

As all things you become expert in some uses of an application like MS but never use other applications. I look forward to this User Group on T2W.

I have Metastock EOD and dabble with it occasionally. I'm now getting a little irked by some of the very basic functions of TC2000 (such as not being able to remove one trendline without have to remove the lot), so perhaps I should spend more time getting to grips with Metastock.

User group MS 8.01

Hi

I would really appreciate the user group idea. Did this idea progress at all?

TB

Skimbleshanks said:
I have Metastock EOD and dabble with it occasionally. I'm now getting a little irked by some of the very basic functions of TC2000 (such as not being able to remove one trendline without have to remove the lot), so perhaps I should spend more time getting to grips with Metastock.

......if you have been using it then what are your observations about the package..????...plusses and minusses in your opinion...???

Re: User group MS 8.01

The Baptist said:
Hi

I would really appreciate the user group idea. Did this idea progress at all?

TB

I hope it does....I met Sharkie some time back and over beers and curries we did discuss the metastock issue...but no concrete outcome then...

Perhaps another session of curry and beers is required at Ruby M's in Harrow....Sharkie???

regards

I will almost certainly be buying MS 8.01 later this month so,yes it would be of interest to me.
Dave

Certainly would love to zambuck, although my moving up to Ilkley, West Yorkshire doesn't help matters. With regards the User Group for MS, I'd be happy to do whatever is necessary to help get it off the ground - and have it hosted in some way through this site or else help set up mailing lists or the like. As you can imagine I'm pretty busy at the moment, so if anyone can take the lead I'll be more than willing to provide feedback and suggestions.

zambuck said:

......if you have been using it then what are your observations about the package..????...plusses and minusses in your opinion...???

Hi skimbleshanks...would be grateful for your observation if you have been using the package.....

regards

I note the thread was resurrected only to seem to die another death. I would be interested in any furtherance of the cause, although due to other commitments it would not be possible for me to take on the position of Co-ordinator, but would certainly give support to whomever he/she might be.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WILLING????????????

john

Hi Uncle

I think once Sharky has set few things up then next stage would be to set one up here on this site...

regards

Another metastock user

Hi
I have MS 9 EOD
I am currently struggling to set up my current datafeed with InvestorEase to work with metastock. (yes i have metaload)
The software seems to have everything i want............................
however I find the software far from intuitive and though you get lots of info, the usual big thick reference book etc, it still seems like wading through mud getting to know how it works.

My current mission is to set up Metastock to use a strategy from Robert Deel's Strategic Electronic Daytrader. The book has various strategies, including strategies for a day , a week,
a month etc.
I am interested in a forum to discuss Metastock and Uk user issues

Colin

esiotrot said:
hi all
Yes a survey might prove very interesting.
Prior to that you can put me down as a Metastock enthusiast. While by no means an expert I have been using MS EOD for around 5 years.

As all things you become expert in some uses of an application like MS but never use other applications. I look forward to this User Group on T2W.

Onassis said:
Hi
I have MS 9 EOD
I am currently struggling to set up my current datafeed with InvestorEase to work with metastock. (yes i have metaload)

Hi Colin
I use the combination of Metastock and Investorease for the EOD updates. I use V7 MS but I guess it cannot be far different as far as data is concerned; what's your problems and i might have an answer (or maybe not!)

I don't know Robert Deel's strategy so an outline might help.

"Intuitive" is a term I dislike because it is often interpreted as "obvious" but I think that a better Metastock definition might be "All questions are easy if you know the answers" - if that makes sense. Metastock is VERY powerful and easy to use but you may take a time to get acquainted with all it's routines. I would not call myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination and I do not understand everything in the manual, just the bits I need.

esiotrot said:
Hi Colin
I use the combination of Metastock and Investorease for the EOD updates. I use V7 MS but I guess it cannot be far different as far as data is concerned; what's your problems and i might have an answer (or maybe not!)

I don't know Robert Deel's strategy so an outline might help.

"Intuitive" is a term I dislike because it is often interpreted as "obvious" but I think that a better Metastock definition might be "All questions are easy if you know the answers" - if that makes sense. Metastock is VERY powerful and easy to use but you may take a time to get acquainted with all it's routines. I would not call myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination and I do not understand everything in the manual, just the bits I need.

Hi Peter
Tx for responding
Yes I can see Metastock has alll the bits I want plus 1000's of things I might
Have used AIQ in the past.
Part of my problem is I'm an air head, head of a 1000 thoughts.
Intuitive to me means, it runs easily and requires little looking at the manual.
I am sure however I will look at things a little different in 2 months time.
IMHO the Metastock User Manual or the faq's could have dealt with data input a little better for
those of us who dont live in America.
An email to Equis recommends the people who sold me the software to help. lol

I have tried to get Metaload 4 to work which supposes to transfer EOD straight into Metastock from InvestoreEase. Two weeks of struggle plus a talk with IE produced nothing.

A run through of a thread started by Jonny T on end of day Uk data produced a solution.
Not sure If I backspace to find thread will result in me loosing this thread lol
.........................................................................................
I want to set up a file system in Metastock that has say a folder title UK, then subfolders of FTSE100, FTSE 350 - 100, AIM, Techmark.
I then want to pour in data from InvestorEase EOD data into the above folders..

I

.............................................................................................

One of the strategy's of Robert Deel

1. Identify Market Trend using his Market Trend Quantifyer. Upward or Downward
He mentions running the following on the S&P 500

A numerical score is given using a simple points sysytem
Trendlines +2. -2, 0
Ema 20, 50, 150 +1. -1, 0
Moneyflow (14) +1. -1, 0
RSI (14) +1. -1, 0
Trix (14) +1. -1, 0
Support and Resistance areas +1. -1, 0
Interest rates +1. -1, 0

Results - A positive trend +2, Negative Trend -2, Neutral 0
.......................................................................................................................
One then goes on to the 2nd part if you have a positve or negative trend

The Trading Trend Quantifier

MA 12, 20, 50 +1. -1, 0
MACD +1. -1, 0
RSI (14) +1. -1, 0
Rates of change 12, 26,39 +1. -1, 0
Bollinger Bands +1. -1, 0
Williams & R +1. -1, 0

All these are run
A figure of more than 2.5 is a basis to go further
The top 3 securitiesare used

The above is mentioned as a review and comes from
The Strategic Electronic Daytrader at tradingschool.com
and is one of quite a few strategies.
Time periods of greater than a day are also covered , my reason for buying the book.

regards Colin

ps anyone who wants clarification of the above plz ask.

What I want to do is have EOD for UK securities
The FTSE 100, 350, AIM, Techmark

:LOL: